Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2004 has almost 36k miles, so we just bought the Platinum 7YR/100k mile extended warranty from Troy. We paid $990 for peace of mind, and at the rate we're driving now we'll run out of years and miles at about the same time. Considering the cost of some of this car's components, that's peace of mind...

HOWEVER!

Other than tires/brakes/battery, I am not sure what is NOT covered under that plan.

??

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hi, Michelle,

I'm NOT the original poster (as you can see), but thanks for both your links. It puts everything normally asked, all in 2 places & right at your fingertips, easily available. You really DO do wonders for this site!!

But in fairness to the OP, he did say he JUST BOUGHT the Platinum Extended Warranty & if I remember correctly back to when I "just bought" my own, you don't get a lot of info at purchase time (basically just copies of the "purchase contract"?). Am I right or wrong?

I believe I didn't know what was or wasn't covered until I actually received the writen warranty contract directly from Toyota Financial (although Troy did go over things verbally before hand). It's always best to have everything in writing & easily available for future reference instead of trying to trust one's memory.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on all counts, and thanks!
We 'just bought' and haven't yet seen the actual warranty. Assuming that what you posted is what we'll get, and that our 2004 isn't modified, abused, or improperly maintained, here's what's EXcluded.
Posted for the benefit of the next person who wonders...

# Brake linings, pads, and shoes
# Accessory drive belts
# Spark plugs
# Carpet
# Chrome
# Hoses
# Rust and corrosion damage
# Fluids
# Seat covers
# Dash cover and pad
# Headliner
# Filters
# Interior and exterior trim and moldings, including but not limited to, cup holders, ash trays, covers, and vents
# Windshield wiper blades (rubber component)
# Door trim, handles, and fabric
# Tires
# Paint
# Glass (including windshields)
# Batteries
# Bumpers
# Shiny metals
# Weather stripping
# Nuts, bolts, clips, retainers, and fasteners
# Hinges
# Light bulbs
# Vacuum hoses, lines & tubes
# Heating hoses, lines & tubes

AND: Here's my enthusiastic endorsement of Troy's service and price!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Right on all counts, and thanks!
We 'just bought' and haven't yet seen the actual warranty. Assuming that what you posted is what we'll get, and that our 2004 isn't modified, abused, or improperly maintained, here's what's EXcluded.
Is the term "modified" defined somewhere? How much "modification" is allowed? Basically adding or deleting anything not approved by Toyota after purchase is a "modification" so Toyota could deny coverage under that exclusion rule. So the inside mirror is ok since it was listed as an approved Toyota accessory, but the external back-up alarm would not be if Toyota decides to be anal about it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the term "modified" defined somewhere? How much "modification" is allowed? Basically adding or deleting anything not approved by Toyota after purchase is a "modification" so Toyota could deny coverage under that exclusion rule. So the inside mirror is ok since it was listed as an approved Toyota accessory, but the external back-up alarm would not be if Toyota decides to be anal about it.
This has been argued for decades across the auto industry. Those who encountered dealers that felt (as an example) that some minor modification was a disqualifier were often able to force the insurer to prove that the modification contributed to the failure, and when such proof was not possible the problem was covered. However, that argument may have been a lengthy and expensive process.

Toyota seems to be liberal. There are disqualifying Prius mods - as an example, Dave Hermance (Toyota's Tech Center) said that a policy decision had been made that a vehicle with the e-button would lose coverage of the battery.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This has been argued for decades across the auto industry. Those who encountered dealers that felt (as an example) that some minor modification was a disqualifier were often able to force the insurer to prove that the modification contributed to the failure, and when such proof was not possible the problem was covered. However, that argument may have been a lengthy and expensive process.

Toyota seems to be liberal. There are disqualifying Prius mods - as an example, Dave Hermance (Toyota's Tech Center) said that a policy decision had been made that a vehicle with the e-button would lose coverage of the battery.
Yes, the legal costs alluded to in your fist paragraph would cost more then the repair, making it a win-win for the insurer: Soak the insuree at the outset and then refuse to pay any claims knowing it would cost the insuree more to contest the denial then to pay for the repairs.

As to the e-button, does that mean that the batteries in all the countries that do have it aren't covered the same as the U.S. model? Because I can't see why the button could affect only the U.S. battery unless Toyota uses a weaker battery in the U.S. model. This proves my point: two supposedly identical cars. One has a Toyota part installed by Toyota that simply puts a ground to a pin on another Toyota part. The other car uses the same official Toyota part to ground the same pin on the other official Toyota part but is properly installed after purchase. The first car is covered but the second isn't covered. Doesn't make sense legally, but it would cost more to dispute it. Unless you could use the ethnic discrimination laws, i.e., the same part installed by a Japanese is ok, but not if it is installed by a non-Japanese. Obvious racial bias there! ;-) I do agree that EV mods like Coastal Dave's should violate the warranty because they use un-approved parts to hide the fact that the feature has been implemented. But using official Toyota parts designed for that purpose, and not hidden?

The bottomline is that all extended warranties are rip-offs since the issuer will make money both when selling it to the buyer, and then by stonewalling the buyer until they give up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not arguing the issue, only repeating what was said as a statement of policy by Dave Hermance (certainly in a position to make the statement!) at a Prius Club meeting.

There may be software and hardware differences, who knows? I do know that there is no EV button or wiring on my car. It's at most a novelty that quickly wears off, and if the battery or associated circuitry were to fail in my car, and that add-on were to disqualify warranty service, I'd feel pretty silly.

Now, if I installed another battery, etc. - that would be different. I'd gain that additional functionality, perhaps with the economy of plug-in charging, with full knowledge that the warranty is gone.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dave didn't happen to say WHY the EV button was left off the the U.S. models or HOW it could do anything to affect the "warranty"?

BTW, what is the 50' traffic levitat you have in your sig? I have visions of you either levitating your Prius 50' and cruising above the traffic, or you levitate the traffic in front of you to 50' and cruising under it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
romad said:
Dave didn't happen to say WHY the EV button was left off the the U.S. models or HOW it could do anything to affect the "warranty"?

BTW, what is the 50' traffic levitat you have in your sig? I have visions of you either levitating your Prius 50' and cruising above the traffic, or you levitate the traffic in front of you to 50' and cruising under it.

I recall that he implied that it was a government thing - perhaps that giving the consumer that much control made EPA issues too ambiguous, and it was too difficult to get approvals, etc.

My car is equipped with the rarely seen Courageous Early Adopter Package, available only 17-23 October '03. It included leather upholstery with organic gas collection and storage, which lowers passenger stress - and that wonderful 50' traffic levitator, which lowers driver stress. The latter runs on methane collected from the former, so it's a Green system with zero environmental footprint.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Regarding modifications, what has been done to allow your phone and nav sytems to be operated at speed? One could imagine Toyota looking at such a modification to the MFD as being a disqualifying event, right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roger V said:
Regarding modifications, what has been done to allow your phone and nav sytems to be operated at speed? One could imagine Toyota looking at such a modification to the MFD as being a disqualifying event, right?
Anything's possible. But that's unlikely as the mod is nowhere near the MFD but occurs in earlier circuitry (where the speed sensor is blocked). Further, the mod just simulates zero speed, so couldn't really 'cause' a problem in downstream circuitry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.