Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were willing and able to buy a new motor vehicle for the 2006 model year and your choice was between a 2006 Prius or 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid, what would be YOUR choice and why? :?:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the members of this forum are probably biased. That said,
Without having seen the Accord or even a review; I suspect that the Accord rides and handles better, gets slightly worse gas mileage, and is slightly less "green" (low emissions.) I don't know what the balance is on the "gadget" factor (bluetooth, nav, etc.) For me, the fact that the Prius is a hatch back was important, I use it to haul awkward stuff around fairly often.

You have to balance the pros and cons with your priorities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
littleboy is probably correct about us being biased. I've owned both Honda and Toyota. I prefer Toyota (have had fewer maintenance issues and they seem to last longer), so the Prius is MY choice!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a Prius, and gave serious thought to buying an Accord hybrid for my wife to replace her 2004 4-cyl. Accord in 2006. However, she's decided she's going to get a 2006 Prius instead. I'm going to have to stick in heated leather seats for her, though.

The Accord hybrid gets MUCH worse miles per gallon than the Prius.

rpm

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I was looking for a hybrid, I went to both the Toyota site and the Honda site for information.

I could fine nothing on the Honda site that expained their hybrid system and how it worked.

The Toyota site was very informative and expained it very well.

If I am going to buy something, I want to know how it works first, and only Toyota came thru.

I am now the proud owner of 2005 Seaside #6 - and I just love it!!

2005 Seaside #6 w/etched windows
Diamon Fusion Windshield and Auto Armor
inside and out!
:p

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I've test driven the 05 Accord Hybrid. While power is nice, you can't really tell without a stop watch. I like the ECO feature of the Accord and it's almost always on unless your foot's on the accelerator so that's good. However, I found that even at the end of the test drive (this was this past summer), the engine wouldn't stay off for the entire traffic light. The leather is the same as other Accords and I don't like them. Toyota uses better quality ones on the Camry. It feels roomy and has a small boot. No split folding seats though so you're stuck with the 12 cu ft boot.

I personally prefer the Prius because for the same price (in CAD), I get a Prius with nav and bluetooth as well as SKS, VSC, 6 airbags etc. It's very roomy at the back for passengers and it has a versatile cargo area along with flat folding rear seats. It has mileage that's 2.5x better (based on the avg fuel economy on the Accord Hybrid I test drove). Obviously, it'll be less on your car cause you don't have 20 people doing acceleration tests.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
littleboy said:
If you were willing and able to buy a new motor vehicle for the 2006 model year and your choice was between a 2006 Prius or 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid, what would be YOUR choice and why? :?:
First, you have to compare the dimensions of each vehicle. The Accord is a Full mid-size sedan and the Prius is a smaller Mid-size sedan and the Accord Hybrid is a V6 vs Prius is a 4 cylinder. Also: The Accord is in the upper $30k vs the Prius is in the $21.000 base. If you are going to ask and compare the two wait till the Full mid-size 07 Camry Hybrid to come out next year and then you can compare the two similar dimension vehicles and ask the questions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i checked out the interior of the the toyotas & hondas b4 buying... the honda insight & civic were basically more 90s.....whereas the prius was in the millenium! i have owned both..... even still have my prelude.....
they both make great cars.. however if given a choice......it would definitely be the prius.....i love the fact that it is a more "green" car... whereas.....we all know the accord will be built more for power....we americans love our big powerful cars & suvs!! it also looks like the hybrid accord will only save about 3-4 miles per gallon than the regular.. if so.....why would i want it?? with my prius i have almost made my gasoline bill go down to less than half !! i like that! i like that the prius is so modern tech.....its really a kewl car that turns heads.... its just one of those cars that are built to last..... hopefully america can learn from this & we can build better cars in the future

·
Registered
19 Posts
rpm said:
The Accord hybrid gets MUCH worse miles per gallon than the Prius.rpm
I agree. I haven't seen the 06 Accord Hybrids or Priuses yet but I test drove both 05 models. I have owned an older Accord for a while and I have an Acura MDX (Honda). While I do like the Acura and the Accord has been a pretty good car in the past, I ended up buying the Prius. The main reasons for this was the gas mileage was a few mpg below the non-hybrid V6 in the Accord and also the price point was a lot higher in the Accord because it is considered the top-of-the-line Accord. I also do not like the fact that you cannot fold down the back seat of the Accord because of the batteries.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Seaside Pearl #5 2006 Prius (the #4 package is perfect for me, so of course they don't offer it) is expected in January.

That said, I'm still planning to sit in an HCH and see how it feels and maybe cancel the order, just as soon as the Honda dealership can sit me in one. The Prius is ahead, but if the HCH is more comfortable in the width and getting-in-and-out departments, I will seriously have to consider switching.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
I've test driven the 05 Accord Hybrid. While power is nice, you can't really tell without a stop watch. I like the ECO feature of the Accord and it's almost always on unless your foot's on the accelerator so that's good. However, I found that even at the end of the test drive (this was this past summer), the engine wouldn't stay off for the entire traffic light. The leather is the same as other Accords and I don't like them. Toyota uses better quality ones on the Camry. It feels roomy and has a small boot. No split folding seats though so you're stuck with the 12 cu ft boot.

I personally prefer the Prius because for the same price (in CAD), I get a Prius with nav and bluetooth as well as SKS, VSC, 6 airbags etc. It's very roomy at the back for passengers and it has a versatile cargo area along with flat folding rear seats. It has mileage that's 2.5x better (based on the avg fuel economy on the Accord Hybrid I test drove). Obviously, it'll be less on your car cause you don't have 20 people doing acceleration tests.
Yea.. its one thing to drive a car..... its another to be the passenger!... esp on a long trip.... I just get totally peeved after a while of either my neck hurting from sitting in the back seat and having to bend overk and still barely being able to see out the windows, or my back hurting from having to slump down. The prius is much more comfy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts