Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the window tint discussions. I have come up with a couple of questions though. I have been looking at the different window tints and am trying to decide between Solar Gard High Performance film like their True Grey or Charcoal and the FormulaOne Pinnacle film.

I was wondering what everybody when with and how you are liking it so far. Was there any problems with having the little front done or RF reception. I now the GPS antenna is in the dash and should not be affected.

I am in the Riverside area of So. California If any one can recommend someone they used that has experience with a Prius

Thanks,

·
Registered
37 Posts
cpooler,

After some research, I decided on FormulaOne Pinnacle.

I would suggest that you do loads of research regarding your film choices before you make your decision. A good place to start is to read (search) the forums on tintdude.com here.

Tintdude Form

More info can be found here

Tintcenter

Now as for the film I put on my Prius, I narrowed it down to two films since price didn't matter. I wanted a ceramic for its heat rejection properties and that left me with,

HuperOptik or FormulaOne Pinnacle.

After some research I have to say HuperOptik has the best heat reduction compared to FormulaOne. However, FormulaOne is NON-conductive and HuperOptik is conductive. Next is film color, HuperOptik is greenish and FormulaOne is black. Reading more, mainly at Tintdude Forums, I found most installers said that HuperOptiks is difficult to install. Next, I found only ONE HuperOptik dealer/installer in Northern Cal and his post on Tintdude essentially made my decision for me.

I have been installing Huper ceramic film for over a year now and I still hate working with it. I have tried pretty much all the different techniques for window shrinking and nothing can speed up the process. It all comes down to patience. Although we get more money for each job that we do, the time that we have to spend as well as the cost associated with the film is not really worth it. I never recommend using this film to people but for those who insist on having it, I will do the job for them. I will only do 1 Huper Optik install per day as it is alot more stressful and tiring.
I haven't tried the Formula One Pinnacle film yet but I have heard alot of good things about it. The heat rejection is not quite as good as the Huper but I find it hard for anyone to really feel the small difference after it is installed on the vehicle.,
As for the Pinnacle I think I made an excellent choice. The clairity is exceptional and the Prius is definately cooler than my tinted Mazda when both are setting outside side by side.

I had some other concerns that helped me in choosing the FormulaOne.

I really suggest you do your research regarding any films you might choose before deciding and don't just accept my reasons for selecting FormulaoOne point blank. You have your own factors to look at.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You might want to look at both tints on a car if possible. My huber optik is black, not sure where you saw a greenish tint.

What does conductive vs non-conductive do?

If you do go huber optik you might as well look into the Drei for the 70% solar energy reflectance. Although my ceramic 30 has been great. Everyone who has been in my car has mentioned about the lack of heat they feel and asks about the tint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Many Thanks!

Thanks for all the research you did on this. I am going with the FormulaOne Pinnacle, getting installed tomorrow. From my research, I found the HuperOptic to be very good too, mainly going in high end German cars; however, I could not find an installer in my area, so there you are.

I will let you all know how it turned out so that the collective knowledge here may be increased!
Luis

·
Registered
319 Posts
It was a long drive to the nearest HuperOptik dealer for me, too, so the $245 quote on my Prius for FormulaOne Pinnacle 30 from the guy 6 miles from my house made the deal.

SC law prevented the windshield from being tinted, but it's a lot cooler than it was. However, the really hot weather has yet to arrive...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I just don't KNOW. I've never had a tinted window car. Of course, in NJ it's unlawful to have front ones done, but would I like the back and rear sides tinted? I just don't know. I put my window shades up when I get in the parking lot, so maybe that's enough. Perhaps I'm just not one of the groovy people.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tadashi said:
You might want to look at both tints on a car if possible. My huber optik is black, not sure where you saw a greenish tint.

What does conductive vs non-conductive do?

If you do go huber optik you might as well look into the Drei for the 70% solar energy reflectance. Although my ceramic 30 has been great. Everyone who has been in my car has mentioned about the lack of heat they feel and asks about the tint.
Tadashi,

I must say that I haven't actually viewed through HuperOptik film. The observation is a result of research. I posted a note when I first asked about FormulaOne over on prius chat and two of the members there reported the greenish hue to HuperOptik film.

Link to that message

I checked out the Tintdude Forum and noted even the dealers commented on the green color to the HuperOptik film.

Do you prefer a green hue or black? Huper=green, Pinnacle=black.

Most all stated before is true.

Huper 30 is a slow install with regular ghosting. Huper 40 has a tendency on difficult rear glass to ghost. Pinnacle is specifically designed for auto install. Huper was made for flat then installers where suggested to begin using on cars. Most auto installers found this film too aggravating to work with day in and out.

The F1 program is impeccably backed by CP if a warranty issue comes into play-complete with tanferable.

I put Huper on my latest new vehicle, yanked it and went with Pinnacle 38.

However, depending on installers skills, the plotter cut line is an exxagerated sales pitch. A seasoned installer hat cuts by hand may have your film looking factory, most plotter cuts do not.
There were many other comments regarding the HuperOptik greenish hue which I read there.

However, I'd be cautious at best regarding the HuperOptik DREI series film. Researching it, it DOES have a very high heat rejection property. However, it is NOT a ceramic film. So it too is a conductive film.

Here's.

HuperOptik product page

HuperOptik SELECT SERIES WITH DREI FILM

It looks like the DREI film comes in only ONE tint color.

Conductive films can and DO interfere with internal electronics. Here's one poster's note on the Tintdude Forum, who's GPS antenna is located in the rear of the car who had HuperOptik film done.

Yes, it was supposedly in fact HO's "ceramic" film, which according to their website "Minimises interferences with GPS systems and cellular phone" (http://www.huperoptik.com). What a bunch of BS.

Well, I'm here to tell you, in case any of you run into this situation in the future. The HO ceramic 40 CAN and DID K1ll my GPS navigation DEAD on my 2004 Accord coupe. I'm sure the HO distributor will be hearing it from my installer, too.

The installer was understanding, and he wants to remove the HO all the way around and re-do it with a non-metalized, non-dyed film with a warranty for about $100 less, which he will refund to me. Since I'm into this project for $260 already, I suppose we'll try it. He says I shouldn't have a problem with it.

I probably should have done more research, but I was taking HO's word for it that the ceramic-based tint was an acceptable (and better) alternative to metalized films, particularly on the point of not interfering with the GPS antenna.
I found it interesting regarding the HuperOptik webites that this line

"Minimises interferences with GPS systems and cellular phone"

is missing from the HuperOptikUSA webpage and it is on the HuperOptik website.

Read the "BENEFITS" section on both sites.

Here are the links...

HuperOptikUSA Ceramic page

HuperOptik.com website Ceramic page

I wonder if it's because some of the dealers/installers are informing HuperOptiks of the problems it's been causing.

However, with the GPS antenna located in the PRIUS dash it's very unlikely that there will be a problem unless the windshield is fully tinted which is essentially outlawed in nearly every state.

Now compare the FormulaOne Pinnacle statement with that on the HuperOptik site.

FormulaOne Pinnacle page

"No hindrance to vehicle electronic systems
Will not interfere with radio frequencies"

This is a much bolder statement than HuperOptik makes regarding interferences.

Can you try this experiment? If you have a cellular phone. Set in the back seat of your Prius and check out the number of signal bars on it then in an untinted car setting next to it set in the back seat and see if there is a significant signal difference. This is something I'd be interested in. I am planning on re-tinting my Mazda and might just go with the HuperOptik (for resale purposes), except for the fact that I use a PocketPC GPS system with the extention antenna usually setting on the rear deck.

I find that the Mazda is much hotter inside with the current tint compared to the Prius with Pinnacle.

Just some research I looked at. I probably would have done HuperOptik just for it's heat rejection properties if I could have had more confidence in the ONLY Northern Cal installer. Looking at his Tintdude Forum post I think he might be contemplating a switch to FormulaOne Pinnacle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FormulaOne Pinnacle Installed

Hi all,
Well just got my Tideland Pearl Prius back with the new FormulaOne Pinnacle window tint. I think it looks real nice, sort of like looking through a quality pair of sunglasses. There are only two levels of tint in this series, and I went with the lighter one because I wanted the same shade all around. It is pretty hot and sunny here today, and I did notice less heat in the car with the window tint. I didn't think it was bad before, however. In any case, I put the tint on because the wife wanted it, so that was my primary motivation!

In all, a thumbs up on the install.

PS I got it done in Clearwater, FL at a place called SunProof on Court street. Quality work, nice people, and quick turnaround (less than two hours).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: FormulaOne Pinnacle Installed

ryecatcher said:
Hi all,
Well just got my Tideland Pearl Prius back with the new FormulaOne Pinnacle window tint. I think it looks real nice, sort of like looking through a quality pair of sunglasses. There are only two levels of tint in this series, and I went with the lighter one because I wanted the same shade all around. It is pretty hot and sunny here today, and I did notice less heat in the car with the window tint. I didn't think it was bad before, however. In any case, I put the tint on because the wife wanted it, so that was my primary motivation!

In all, a thumbs up on the install.

PS I got it done in Clearwater, FL at a place called SunProof on Court street. Quality work, nice people, and quick turnaround (less than two hours).
ryecatcher,

I think that your dealer/installer might have been out of stock of one of the Pinnacle tints. There are three tint levels in the series and my installer had them all. Florida tint law allows Front sides 28% Back and Rear sides 15% so any of the three would be legal. (Well ALMOST! 15% along with the intrensic value of the solar glass itself might not be)

I think you'll really begin to like the heat reduction... IN FLORIDA!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
What did it cost you, RyeCatcher? Post pictures. Might have it done myself. It's starting to get brutal when I leave from work!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: FormulaOne Pinnacle Installed

PriusMarv said:
ryecatcher said:

I think you'll really begin to like the heat reduction... IN FLORIDA!
These value for the Fomula One series are considerably lower than the Huber Optik Ceramic series . The best heat reduction in anything close to legal with Formula One is 52% at with the 35 series (dark). Here is Huper Optik's more comprehensive table for comparison (look at heat /infrared rejection). The only conclusion I can draw is that the FormulaOne is much less efficient. Even the Huper Optik 50 (barely visible tint) rejects 68% heat. The 40 series rejects 80% and the 30 series rejects 85% heat. If that much less heat is rejected with Formula One, the air conditionaer will have to work harder, lowering gas mileage.

Hüper Ceramic 20
Visible Light Transmission (%) 21
Visible Light Reflectance (%) 14
Shading Coefficient 0.37
Total Solar Transmission (%) 14
Infrared Rejection (%) 91
UV Light Rejection (%) 99
Total Solar Energy Rejected (%) 67

Hüper Ceramic 30
Visible Light Transmission (%) 34
Visible Light Reflectance (%) 11
Shading Coefficient 0.47
Total Solar Transmission (%) 23
Infrared Rejection (%) 85
Total Solar Energy Rejected (%) 61

Hüper Ceramic 40
Visible Light Transmission (%) 42
Visible Light Reflectance (%) 9
Shading Coefficient 0.53
Total Solar Transmission (%) 29
Infrared Rejection (%) 80
Total Solar Energy Rejected (%) 55

Hüper Ceramic 50
Visible Light Transmission (%) 50
Visible Light Reflectance (%) 10
Shading Coefficient 0.59
Total Solar Transmission (%) 42
Infrared Rejection (%) 68
Total Solar Energy Rejected (%) 49

Mike

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Wow, that's a LOT of information.

I stuck up Walnut contact paper on inside of all the windows except drivers... Cheap ( about 7.99/roll, did entire car, and leftovers for the shelf in back).

Plays hell with visibility, breaks every known window covering law, but the interior has a nice homey feel, with lots of privacy.

... they'll probably just give me a fix-it ticket. Then I'll take it off, get past the ticket, and put up "SnowStorm"

juust a joke, folks... :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
mrichman,

I agree! HuperOptik Ceramic Series has the BEST heat rejection properties.

However, with only ONE Northern Cal installer, and some other issues I have with HuperOptik Ceramic film(see my above posts), I went with what I believe to be SECOND BEST ceramic heat rejection film. In doing so NOT be legal as I did 50 on the front side windows. CA law = Front sides 70% - Rear Sides ANY% - Back ANY% - Windshield 4" - NET (Total film + window)

·
Registered
37 Posts
cpooler said:
I have been watching the window tint discussions. I have come up with a couple of questions though. I have been looking at the different window tints and am trying to decide between Solar Gard High Performance film like their True Grey or Charcoal and the FormulaOne Pinnacle film.
cpooler,

Here's some technicial info, regarding the Solar Gard HP Charcoal and True Grey series. They use metals for their color and offer a lifetime warranty.

Check the

BEKAERT PERFORMANCE CHART SITE

for the information regarding the values listed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like I am going to go with Formula One Pinnacle. Will most likely go with the 15% on all the back windows and the back hatch plus the lower back window. The installer I have found that is locally calms the lower back window is plastic and will not tint it.

I have looked at the window and it is not plastic and in fact the wife and I saw a black Prius with tint all around over the weekend and if looked pretty sharp. So I will talk to them this Saturday when I take ours in to have it done.

I am still have not decided on what percent tint to have put on the front side windows. 50% is most likely too light when compared to the 15% on the back windows. What are the values on yours PriusMarv as ours is all so the Seaside Blue and I like the looks of yours in your photos.

Cpooler,

·
Registered
37 Posts
cpooler said:
Looks like I am going to go with Formula One Pinnacle. Will most likely go with the 15% on all the back windows and the back hatch plus the lower back window. The installer I have found that is locally calms the lower back window is plastic and will not tint it.

I have looked at the window and it is not plastic and in fact the wife and I saw a black Prius with tint all around over the weekend and if looked pretty sharp. So I will talk to them this Saturday when I take ours in to have it done.

I am still have not decided on what percent tint to have put on the front side windows. 50% is most likely too light when compared to the 15% on the back windows. What are the values on yours PriusMarv as ours is all so the Seaside Blue and I like the looks of yours in your photos.
Cpooler,

I had 50% done on the front windows/triangles (ILLEGAL in CA) but that is the lightest tint available in Pinnacle and most people haven't had problems with it YET!

The rest of the car is done with 15%. Except the lower back glass. I will most likely be having it done also as I don't like the night vision difference between the hatchback windows.

I had a 15% windshield strip done to the level of the black dots around the rearview mirror but the black dot area is terrible to look through but I can live with it. The windshield visors get little to no use with that strip. If I bring down the visor it is actually just a fraction of an inch longer than the strip.

Tell the installer, they are wrong about the smaller glass. The side door windows and the front triangles are stickered...

"TOYOTA TEMPERLITE"

and the small hatch window is stickered "TOYOTA TEMPERLITE" so there should be no problem.

The back triangles are sitckered "TOYOTA DOT 23"

The large liftback window is stickered "TOYOTA TEMPERLITE-T"

Could be the installer has a concern about the window pattern, but if they are doing the little tringles in the front they shouldn't have a concern with the little hatchback window.

Here's a comparison what the view looks like throught my side passenger window.

WINDOW UP THROUGH TINT

WINDOW DOWN NO TINT

SIDE VIEW LOOKING THROUGH 2 PANES OF TINT

·
Registered
19 Posts
GA law just changed on window tinting.

Driving in Atlanta where it get nice and warm on the interstates duing summer made me immediately think about tinting but the law just changed in GA and the first tinter I called didn't know about the law change.

Made me think that I can just wait until July after the law has been in place for a month. There are pretty busy around here replacing tint right now.

Thanks for all the info here guys. You make this decision a lot easier. It is like having a group of firends who know my car and are willing to share the information.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: GA law just changed on window tinting.

leeragans said:
Driving in Atlanta where 0it get nice and warm on the interstates duing summer made me immediately think about tinting but the law just changed in GA and the first tinter I called didn't know about the law change.

Made me think that I can just wait until July after the law has been in place for a month. There are pretty busy around here replacing tint right now.

Thanks for all the info here guys. You make this decision a lot easier. It is like having a group of firends who know my car and are willing to share the information.
leeragans,

From what I've researched, the GA law regarding the tint % allowed did not change. It now (and stupidly I might add) includes cars driven by out-of-staters!

Guess, I'll be driving AROUND the state of GA instead of driving through it spending money on gas, food and lodging. :evil:

Here's a link to the written law.

GEORGIA TINT LAW

·
Registered
39 Posts
PriusMarv, how much did it cost to do your clear paint protection? If you don't mind me asking. I got quoted about $800 for the full deal. $600 for the bumper and hood alone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Beacher said:
PriusMarv, how much did it cost to do your clear paint protection? If you don't mind me asking. I got quoted about $800 for the full deal. $600 for the bumper and hood alone.
Beacher,

My dealer/installer charged me about $659 for the Llumar Paint Protection.

You need to check with the dealer you are going to be using as everyone has a different cut pattern.

Some have a two piece bumper and a very short hood piece. Mine is a one piece bumper piece and long hood piece along with the fender pieces and mirrors. You definately need the mirrors too, they get pretty slammed by the bugs! I wish I had gotten the other two front grill area pieces as well

Here again is my pattern.

[/img]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts