Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Inverter coolant

I looked under my hood and the color of the coolant for the radiator and the other coolant reservior (I think that is for the inverter) are the same. I would say that they should be the same. Since I intend to do a whole lot of maintenance myself, I am seriously thinking of getting a Hanes manual for my '08 Prius.

·
Registered
582 Posts
coolaid

2001-2003 Prius uses LLC in both coolant systems. IIRC, this stuff is sold full strength and one is to dilute it 50% with deionized water. In practice, one could transfer it from one system to the other with a turkey baster (etc) if desired. Not really recommending that, but keeping the electricals loop nicely topped might be more critical than the engine loop. Say if you were on a road trip and felt the need.

For 2004 and newer Prius a new kind called SLLC was used. This is sold already 50% diluted. It is also backward-compatible and has a longer specified change interval (50 k miles vs 30 k miles) so one might consider using the new stuff instead, at the next change.

No other coolants are known to be acceptable for use in Prius, so your only choices are LLC or SLLC. Red or pink, take your pick. For the DIY, some radiator type shops will accept your old coolant for responsible disposal if you ask them nicely. Heaven knows what they do with the stuff.

DAS

·
Registered
582 Posts
The Toyota brand (LLC or SLLC) is not cheap but we do not know if any other is fully compatible. I don't think that you have much choice here. The 2001-2003 can certainly upgrade to SLLC and then enjoy the longer (50k vs 30 k miles) change intervals, but that's about it.

Coolant replacement is a small fraction of maint. expenses. Engine oil and tires vie for first place. Everything else is tiny. I wouldn't object either, if Prius drivers elected to have their transaxle fluid replaced. It is a topic we have discussed before.

DAS

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: Inverter coolant

N3FOL said:
I looked under my hood and the color of the coolant for the radiator and the other coolant reservior (I think that is for the inverter) are the same. I would say that they should be the same. Since I intend to do a whole lot of maintenance myself, I am seriously thinking of getting a Hanes manual for my '08 Prius.
You can easily do the ICE coolant loop drain and refill yourself, but the Inverter loop coolant is difficult to refresh as it tends to retain air bubbles. If you don't get the air bubbles out, you may overheat the inverter ($$$). As was said, stick with Toyota coolant (preferably SLLC). I had the dealer do the job.

JeffD

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Ditto on Jeff's remarks. The inverter coolant is tricky and best left to dealer. Heck! I'de recommend you get them both done at the same time.
As for a "Haynes" manual, I don't believe there was ever such thing printed. And "skip" the three volume $409.00 service manual unless you are Japanese. It's printed in English, but I defy anyone able to decipher it!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Whether you do the coolants yourself or sell the task to others, please perform one simple test afterwards. On the 2001-2003 Prius the level of engine/electricals coolant in the front part of the reservoir should be distinctly higher than in the rear, when the car is in "Ready" (coolant pump is running). This is your proof that those pesky bubbles have been removed from the system. Apparently in the newer Prius, this level comparison is reversed, but I have never looked under those hoods at the right time. Any help from my readers with experience?

This simple check is just what you need to know to avoid jdennenberg's $$$ damage risk. Learn how to do it and don't live in fear.

Re: Hyperion, it is Toyota's idea that both coolant loops should be refreshed on the same intervals. Just between us, I suppose that much longer intervals are reasonable, because on a (not-malfunctioning) Prius, the stuff comes out looking like new. But I have not tested that some important coolant additive had not been depleted (in my case, 45 k mi when I was supposed to change after 30k).

Ultimately, your engine-loop rubber hoses are going to degrade, because that's what they do in that temperature/pressure cycling environment. Then, at least, a coolant change will be required.

DAS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts