Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, im new to the forum, i was just wondering what kind of gas do you guy use on your prius. I use 91 octane because of the 13 to 1 compression but i was wondering will this have any future problems on the hybrid

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have only used 87 and the car runs fine in the hills above San Diego down to sea level.

I did burn 89 for 2 tanks and the result was a loss of MPG.

Have you tried burning the recommended 87?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was told by the Toyota tech that running anything more than 89 octane can actually cause problems with the ECU.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Synbrid05 said:
Hey everyone, im new to the forum, i was just wondering what kind of gas do you guy use on your prius. I use 91 octane because of the 13 to 1 compression but i was wondering will this have any future problems on the hybrid
I too was amazed when I first read about the 13 to 1 compression. But then I found out that it is an Atkinson cycle engine, instead of the normal Otto cycle engine. They do different timings with the valves, so the Prius can run 87 octane gasoline.

It has been discussed extensively, but the advice is to just run 87 octane or it could set an error code. It could, not that it necessarily would. But no matter, you probably would decrease the miles/gallon and also waste money buying the more expensive premium gas. Although there might be one or two people who would be willing to debate about that.

There have also been discussions about Toyota and their recomendation for "Top Tier" gasoline. You can search and read about it. So I'm following Toyota's suggestions about the "Top Tier" gasoline and using Chevron. A lot of times it isn't any more expensive than the no-name guys. And then if there are any warranty issues that is one less thing to argue about.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I fuel up at Costco nearly all the time. I use 87, which is what the manual says to use. Keep in mind that in high altitudes the octane levels are lowered accross the board by a couple points. In general, just use the lowest octane that is offered at the station you are filling at.

·
Registered
344 Posts
much higher than 87 and you might have starting problems.

it's in the prius tech training materials anyway. tried to get DH to borrow it from work again so i could scan that, and he keeps forgetting...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
13:1 I believe is the stroke length, but part of the compression stroke leaves the intake valve open, thus rendering the effective compression at the usual 10:1. The point of this is to increase the power stroke length without increasing the actual compression.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts