Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife had surgery the other day (and is ok) but won't be driving her 2006 Prius for about 8 weeks. I was wondering if there was anything I should shut off or disable during that time. Any ideas from experts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Charles,

The only problem is that the auxiliary (12v) battery in her Prius has limited capacity an will tend to discharge in that period. shuttin off things like the auto entry (if equipped, the button is on the dash below the steering wheel) will help. You can do one of several things that will be more effective.

• 1 - The easiest is just to power the car up (READY Mode) in Park for a few minutes to recharge the 12v battery from the main battery every two or three weeks. The gasoline engine (ICE) will start up and top off the main battery as required when you do this.

2 - Disconnect the 12v battery for the duration. You will have to rest the radio presets and clock, but that's not a big issue.

3 - Get a "battery minder" It will maintain the 12v battery from AC as long as required.
Don't worry about the main battery. It is automatically disconnected when the car is off and will easily hold its charge for several months.

Remember, the only important thing is that your wife gets better.

JeffD

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Be sure the headlights are switched to 'off'...even though they shut off when the car is turned off there is still some drain if the switch is in the 'on' position.

The "auto entry" mentioned above is better known as the SKS or smart key system and, indeed, really does need to be turned off with the button under the steering wheel.

Finally, if she'll let you, why not make the Prius 'your' car for the next 8 weeks. It'll keep that 12v charged up, will save gas, and give you a fine opportunity to appreciate the Prius (I'm assuming your car isn't a Prius)?

But, if you will be around the car just take care to drive it around for 15-20 minutes once every week or two to allow the 12v to charge up and to keep the SOC of the HV battery at a comfortable level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.