Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I initially went for the Prius because it was the first high mileage car I found that wasn't a stripped down econobox. The hybrid concept sounded like a really clever idea (though I first learned of it due to the Insight). I probably would have purchased an Insight if the local dealers had been interested in selling me one. But I'm glad I discovered the Prius, because the Insight would not allow me to transport my kids, so I'd end up having to drive my van a little bit every day.

My Toyota dealer let me "rent" his TRAC Prius over the weekend and I was really impressed. Several friends and a brother all raved about the reliability of Toyota, so I started feeling pretty comfortable about my order even though I'd not seen a Prius in person when I placed the order.

While my Prius was on order, I discovered the e-group (now Yahoo group) and the Yahoo club. It was fun to find out how much nicer a car it was than I expected. Then I discovered that the Prius is a rolling physics lesson and had a great time reviewing my old high school and college physics concepts. There are so many really smart people on the groups willing to help that it's really amazing.

The 2.5 month wait was really tough though, especially since I'd started looking for an Insight 6 months before I ordered the Prius. Still it wasn't nearly as bad as the 5-6 month wait that built up a few times.

Pikachu's been a great car ever since. Still lots of fun to drive. And the promised Toyota reliability's come through for me anyway.

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ordered my car as soon as I was able to afford it. I worked on electric cars in high school and have been interested in alternative vehicles ever sence. My first experience with a prius was at the NESEA tour de Sol where toyota had one as the pace car.

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a pledge with the Union of Concerned Scientists that I would be willing to buy a green car a manufacturer came out with one that was reasonably functional and affordable. I followed the Prius and the Insight from the moment they started being mentioned in the press.

When they first started being delivered I dithered around a bit (my other car was really perfectly servicable) but after finding the Prius Group on Yahoo I started getting more interested. I went to a Prius Gathering in MA, and was so hooked that I immediately drove to a dealer to get a test drive. At that point at was easy to put my money where my mouth was, but I decided to to wait till the next model year to get NAV and side air bags. I put in my order on the first day (actually the day before the first day, and upgraded the next day) that the 2002 was available to order.

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> I went to a Prius Gathering in MA, and was so hooked that I immediately drove to a dealer to get a test drive.

We are in the process of planning a Gathering where thousands (yes easily over 1000 people) will see our hybrids.

The thought is that we will be able to reserve a parking lot on the Minnesota State Capitol Grounds for owners & dealers to show what's available and tell their stories. It will be part of the first ever "Living Green Expo" here, more info... <http://www.livinggreenexpo.org>

I wonder what kind of effect that will have. Hmmm?

[%sig%]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts