Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock: Got in the Pri last night to go home after work and drove about 30 yards and I heard two "beeps" about 15 seconds apart originating from under the hood area like the loud "unlock" beeps but about two seconds in duration. Never done it before and I didn't do anything different than I normally do. (Keep the fob thingy in my pocket grabbed the handle to unlock the the car, got in, setbelt on, and hit the power and go.) :?:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:
:shock: Got in the Pri last night to go home after work and drove about 30 yards and I heard two "beeps" about 15 seconds apart originating from under the hood area like the loud "unlock" beeps but about two seconds in duration. Never done it before and I didn't do anything different than I normally do. (Keep the fob thingy in my pocket grabbed the handle to unlock the the car, got in, setbelt on, and hit the power and go.) :?:
Checking the table of various beeps, page 27 of the 2004 Owner's manual, it looks like you were pressing the Lock button on the fob while the fob was in the vehicle, or while the vehicle was on/not in Park.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FOB was inside pants cargo pocket with absolutely no chance of anything being depressed....(..."keep FOB thingy in my pocket")

Read owners manual and could not "decipher" a cause...

·
Registered
455 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:
FOB was inside pants cargo pocket with absolutely no chance of anything being depressed....(..."keep FOB thingy in my pocket")
you don't say why there was no possibility of it being depressed, cause just being in your pocket is no gaurantee, don't know if you meant some other reason in addition to being in your pocket

Spike

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I've had my Sienna unlock itself as I was approaching it with the key fob in my pocket. I always assumed that the button got pushed by something else in my pocket, like my house keys. It seemed implausible to me but I couldn't come up with anything better so I didn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:

Read owners manual and could not "decipher" a cause...
I keep my 2001 Prius' remote fob in my front pants pocket too. That doesn't mean that I haven't been able to set off my own car alarm by accident while at work (requires a 2 second hold of the recessed Panic button). I don't know if it was another key in the pocket, or just how the folds of the pocket went...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...I'm not saying it was a errant depress of any button on the FOB but, being I carry the thing in a side "cargo" pocket that is very loose and nothing else is carried in that pocket and the fact that its never happened before....? I was also already in the car seated, buckled and driving away.

I really appreciate everyones input...I just don't think an accidental button press was what caused this.

Any other ideas...?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Radio was off and beeps were definitly originating from outside the car. No chance of anything else (a different souce other than my car) as I heard one beep leaving the parking lot then another about another 50 yards down the road.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't think the fob works while in READY, let alone drive. I doubt it is the fob.

Is it still happening? Maybe you can show me Friday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts