Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a real bind here and I am looking to the Prius community for help. My car is ending it’s life and I am looking to get a new car hopefully in the Spring of 2007. Now, I know that there is a new Prius around the corner and I am wondering if I should wait and get the new one, or just go ahead and get a 2006/07 at that time. I am very concerned I will be buy “old” technology and the new Prius will just rock compared to the new one. What would you do? I really am torn here!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
The 2007 Prius will have very few changes from the 2006 (this has been discussed here recently). If I could suggest that people be specific in their subject line...in this case it could be: Any significant changes in '07 Prius?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Personally, the reason I bought a 2006 was it had 2 years of track record already (04-05). I figured if the bugs were there, they'd be gone by now. I do enjoy buying new gizmos, but at the same time I don't like being a guinea pig and ending up with something that fails on me. Choice is yours :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Don't burn yourself up about it - it's high technology and it gets "obsoleted" very quickly. The current Prius is a wonderful car, no matter what comes in the next update. What would they add in the next model - I hear rumours that for the 2008 "plug-in" capability may be there. This would increase short trip mileage, gasoline wise, by using more electric power. You would have to pay for that on your electric bill. I don't think it would have much effect on longer trips.

If you're going to have to wait anyway, don't make a decision until you have to. I'm in the same boat, but if my car sold tomorrow and I had the funds I will need I wouldn't wait for the next model. I'd get a 2006.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for everyones reply, but I messed up when I wrote the post. I am talking about the 2008 new body style. I just am wondering if I should wait unitl it comes with the new technology, bug fixes, mpg, etc. I hate not knowing the future!!! :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
yarzy said:
Thanks so much for everyones reply, but I messed up when I wrote the post. I am talking about the 2008 new body style. I just am wondering if I should wait unitl it comes with the new technology, bug fixes, mpg, etc. I hate not knowing the future!!! :)
I have the '05 model. My mother in law, just got the '06 model. And the number one thing I think was a vast improvement 'tween the two, was the MFD. MUCH clearer on hers. Plus she has the back up camera.

Now, I have heard that the '08 will get 100MPG, and have a optional plug in feature. As in, you can plug it in to charge it up. If you want. Now, if I was in the market for a car today, I would get the '06 model. However, if you can wait just a while longer, I would wait for the '08.

As it is, I hope to trade in my '05 for a '08 when it comes out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From what I have read, the next major upgrade (2008 possibly) will see a major upgrade to the Hybrid Synergy Drive system which will included improvements in the efficiency of the regenerative brakes and will use lithium ion batteries as opposed to the current nickel hydride batteries. There are also rumors of plugin capability which, if it's true, would improve mileage on short trips.

It's a tough call. If your current vehicle can keep going for a couple more years, it might be worth waiting to see. That being said, I'm very happy with my 2006 that I just got a couple weeks ago. And if the 2008 really does end up getting 100 mpg as the rumors say, that will be one very long waiting list.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As late as it is in the year, if your car isn't a total loss yet, I'd put in my order for a Jan 2007 delivery.
If the 2008 has all the improvements that are being batted around, you can bet my name will be on that long list.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"Also with the improvements indicated the MSRP will probably be close to $30,000 and the waiting list will be gone. "

Or it would be that high if not for Toyota's continuous improvement/LEAN/6-sigma practices. I would expect that on an inflation-adjusted basis it will remain much the same.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Like I say, I'm only guessing. Look what Kia has been advertising all evening today with the Kia Sceptre. A four door airconditioned sedan, larger than a Toyota Corolla (which by the way I found larger than a prius Monday) that gets 40MPG and lists for less than $12,000. and comes with a ten year, 100,000 mile warranty as standard.
Pretty hard to sell the Prius for just gas economy when you can buy something like this, $12,000 cheaper with that huge a guarantee.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I know a while back that Kia had some real reliability problems. I'm assuming that they fixed them and that the warranty is to get people to give them a chance. I remember Chrysler did that with the K-Car in the late 70's and early 80's and I think it really worked for them. Couldn't GM and Ford do something similar? I think those type of promotions can really pay off and shouldn't cost them that much. I mean, if it gets people to buy a Kia, it should work for them too.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
They do offer the Standard type of three years and 35,000 miles that Toyota does and extended warranties of 75,000 miles are offered for less than a $1,000.
I've wondered for a long time about both Kia and Hundais ten year 100,000 mile warranties. You can either figure the cars are super reliable or the price fixed at a figure that will remain profitable for them for a five year period of "fixin things", when most Americans have paid off their notes and go new car shopping.

·
Registered
991 Posts
hyperion said:
Like I say, I'm only guessing. Look what Kia has been advertising all evening today with the Kia Sceptre. A four door airconditioned sedan, larger than a Toyota Corolla (which by the way I found larger than a prius Monday) that gets 40MPG and lists for less than $12,000. and comes with a ten year, 100,000 mile warranty as standard.
Pretty hard to sell the Prius for just gas economy when you can buy something like this, $12,000 cheaper with that huge a guarantee.
But.. does it come with a Power button?!?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
hyperion said:
They do offer the Standard type of three years and 35,000 miles that Toyota does and extended warranties of 75,000 miles are offered for less than a $1,000.
That's why I was suggesting they do what Kia is doing (and Chrysler did). The current warranty seems standard across the industry. The 10 year/100,000 mile seems exceptional and could persuade a lot of people who are on the fence to buy a GM. It would certainly demonstrate that GM stands behind their vehicles. Maybe they wouldn't need to do it on all of their vehicles, maybe just the more fuel efficient ones where they seem to be having more difficulty in the market.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
hyperion said:
For $12,000 could you part with "smart key?" would be a better question. Personally I could part with the synergy and brake system but as for that "smart Key"???????
Actually, now that I have the smart key and don't need to limit myself to vehicles in that price range, I wouldn't give it up. I think it will be a decision factor for me on any vehicle I purchase from here on out. I understand that this doesn't apply to everyone, but there are clearly a lot of people who do want these type of convenience features and are willing to pay for them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.