Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2004 Prius in December of 2003. So, it's about six months old now. I'm going to be moving to Taiwan in August and I'll be staying there for at least a year, and maybe up to three years. I won't know which until I'm already over there. My car is black and comes with LoJack, Package #4, Extra Mile Option Package, 50 State Emissions, Wheel Locks, Stripes, Glass Break Sensor, Bumper Protector, Permavin and the Vehicle Shield Package and more. Each of those things were a specific price that I won't break down here. I paid the MSRP of $19,995 plus the price for those packages, tax, etc. The final price I paid with no "market mark-up" ended up being $25,891.00. It has about 8,100 miles on it.

The question now is, should I keep it in my mom's garage until I get back or should I sell it and buy a new one sometime in the future. More importantly, if I were to sell it, how much is a fair price? I have to admit that the $5000 over MSRP is tempting, but I don't want to be a bad guy. The main reason I don't want to sell is because I hate to see myself lose money by selling a brand new car at a used car price, I'd rather sell it after I've had it a few years. Well, any and all comments welcome!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm sure you will have no problem in selling your Prius. Should you return from Taiwan in a year, be prepared to get on a list and wait almost another year for your new Prius.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Put it on E-bay, let the people decide how much they want to pay. Thats exactly what I plan to do when our 2005 comes in. Remember we live in a capitalist society, with a free market. Anyone who tells you not to get the best deal you can has forgotten that the company they work for/own can only survive by making profits. They're trying to talk out both sides of their mouth at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would sell the car now. It may depreciate by many thousands of dollars after one year. The market is very hot right now, so I'd bet you can get back nearly your full purchase price.

In another year, I'd guess the Prius waiting list will be much, much shorter. The list price might be up by a grand or two, but it still seems like it is no use keeping your car in storage for a year or more.

My 2c.
-Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts