Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I made fun of Harley owners but I was only poking fun. Seriously though, what kind of bikes do some of us own seems kind of interesting to me. I have a CBR600rr and a DRZ400S.

·
Registered
181 Posts
In high scool I had:

1973 Honda CB350

1989 Honda Interceptor 750

No bikes since graduation though :(

with 4 kids I have too many responsabilities to indulge 8)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow! Someone else owned a Honda CB350 too? I remember the cam-chain tensioner problems of that bike very well. I bought all the special tools and the local Honda dealer wanted to hire me as a mechanic. I recall I bored it out to the next oversize and was on the freeway and had the buzzy thing up to 110 mph and mistakingly passed a CHP officer in a car. I saw his red light come on, but about then the seal blew out on the cam and it blew oil all over the engine fins and smoked badly. As I exited the freeway in a big cloud of smoke he turned off his red light figuring I blew up my engine and my racing days were over. I peddled the bike right after I pounded in a new oil seal.

The Honda cycle dealer at that time is still around. He still is bitter that he opted out of carrying Honda's first car back then as he could have moved into a car dealership easily had he known how Honda's car sales would grow. My CB350 appeared right before the CB450 came out a couple of months later.

After the Honda, I had some Yamaha POS I'd soon forget, then a couple of Harley's (which weren't bad bikes either and resale was really sweet!) but didn't go fast enough, and now a BMW R1100RTL.

Next in the stable will be a *better* and faster Yamaha POS (I hope!), and I got a bead on their FJR-1300AE when it appears in May 2006 since it will have a paddle-shift or trigger-shift so the LOL can ride it as well (she hates clutches!). The BMW is soon to hit 100,000 miles, never had a tip-over or accident on it, and it will be retired maybe in 2006 as our local BMW dealership folded. It's not fun going 200 miles for costly BMW service or costly BMW parts.

The Yamaha FJR-1300AE may settle my need for speed - and distance too. Can't afford the Cessna 172 and the Piper Warrior planes anymore. As a subsitute for flying, we've ridden the BMW two-up on some wonderful camping trips to Lassen Volcanic National Park and around Northern California. On the BMW we could do 500 miles a day without getting too beat up, although she prefers less than 250 miles. It's about as geekey as the Prius (i.e. radar detector, mp3 player, intercom, talking GPS, cell phone, etc.). We may take the Prius next time as it beats any of the bikes on miles-per-gallon, comfort (!), easier to load and pack, and far less costly on tire wear. Dunno.

Still like the bikes though....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honda's....

My first road vehicle was a 1973 Honda CB350 it was forest green I got that around 1977 then in 1978 a CB 550 four that smoked in one pipe,dealer couldnt fix so I traded for a 1979 CB750K I still own that it's in storage this year I got my dream bike a 2003 750 Honda Magna 43-50 mpg tops).I didnt get to drive it a whole lot because the Prius I bought gets better gas milage and I wanted to drive the car anyway.

Ed

·
Registered
54 Posts
Suzuki GSXR-1000

Previously had another Suzuki, a Kawasaki, Hondas, and a Harley.

·
Registered
25 Posts
my bikes

in the garage:
'03 Buell XB9S Lightning (mine)
'00 Yamaha Vstar 650 (spouse)
'83 Kawasaki GPz 750 9fun restore project)

·
Registered
84 Posts
first bike a 1948 Indian Chief bought in 1956
then a 1964 honda 305 super hawk
then a 1968 Moto Guzzi biggest piece of crap ever
then a 1972 Harley and have been on them since although the Honda gold wing is beconing

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wow, my K1200RS (same basic engine) never got what I get in me Prius.

On the FJR, I get about 35, in the Prius I average a little over 50. And mait. is much cheaper on the Prius than the bike. Even with getting rid of the the BMW and going Japanese.

Spike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey does a Honda XR 200 count??? One of these days, I really must learn how to ride it!! :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Back in the late 70's, the famous Honda 350, that greenish color of course.

After that was a Honda 360, I wanted the extra gear. I think it was blue.

I then got the 1985 Honda Rebel 250, red, back in February of 1986, with 600 miles on it. At the time I lived around Chicago, so it has gone through some COLD rides. Then I moved to Florida, and the Rebel came with. I still own it, it still runs, and I've put over 90,000 miles on it with no major problems. I always changed the oil around 2500 to 3000 miles with Mobil1 20W-50, and always rode it gently, not speeding. (Of course there was the time the guy on the freeway doing 80 ran into me, and I didn't fall, but that's another story.) The milage has steadily dropped to about 50 mpg now, back in the good old days it would get around 80 to even over 100 mpg in the best conditions.

So now I'm forced to take the Prius instead of the bike, since the Prius is getting about 53 mpg. Maybe I'll have to get that carbuerator on the Rebel rebuilt if I ever want to ride it again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How about a scooter, Suzuki AN400 (I kept dropping the big BMW, a bit embarrassing having to call the wife to lift it off me!). I thought the scoot was economical until I bought the Prius

1 - 20 of 30 Posts