Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any civic Hybrid owners other than the guy with the blog talking about the actual MPG that they are getting. So what are you guys really getting in the city, freeway, stop and go style of driving?
SO, please answer. IM thinking of getting one but I would like to know if its worth it MPG-wise

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
anonomous said:
I don't see any civic Hybrid owners other than the guy with the blog talking about the actual MPG that they are getting. So what are you guys really getting in the city, freeway, stop and go style of driving?
SO, please answer. IM thinking of getting one but I would like to know if its worth it MPG-wise

Thanks
Check out http://www.priuschat.com. There is a section in their discussion just for posing MPG.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
My commute to work is around 8 miles (one way) in a fairly hilly area. Most of this is non highway with many stoplights. Over 9000 miles I have averaged a bit over 42MPG.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My son has Civic Hybrid with 65,000 miles (bought 7/02) driving mostly highways in Texas he averages 47 MPG without A/C & 43 with A/C. And he doesn't drive slow - this is 70+MPH !! Great Car !!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anonomous said:

Thanks
I bought one last month and so far I am only getting 37mpg. According to the serivce manager, he said it will go up to 47mpg after the first oil change. If I were you i would ask the dealer about the actual mileage, becuase i feel I was lead to believe that the car will give you 47mpg. If I had known this before hand I would have bought a regular civic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my HCH for about 2 weeks. We did a lot of driving and put about 1,400 miles on it in that time. We are averaging 44 MPG for the 1,600 miles that are on the car. We have refueled (not a full tank each time) with averages of 45, 45, and 42 MPG.

I am pleasantly surprised by this car, especially because it hasn't been broken in yet. If you are getting worse then 40 MPG then I would suggest readjusting your driving technique. I know when my girlfriend drove it approx. 115 miles, she was averaging 38 MPG. When I took the helm ( the next 120 miles), I brought up the average to the 42 MPG.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aCTUAL mpg

I drive mostly all city and I get 42 - 44 mpg If I take a trip using the highway it is about 50 MPG. I drive the standard transmission. You do have to change your driving technique to get the best MPG. Down shifting help on the battery charging/power and accelerate lighter, dont stomp on the gas. Give yourself a little room so that you can let off the gas instead of braking hard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I drive a fair distance to work. Some back roads, some highway. Some hills. I work night shift, so it's usually pretty cool when I drive. I'm averaging 51 mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Dad's got a an '03 HCH and over 11,000 miles, 90% city driving, the car has averaged 41mpg. In my '04 HCH SULEV I average about the same in the city but on the highway 50mpg and l drive between 60-70mph.. 8)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Real world mileage

I've owned a 2004 Civic Hybrid for over 3 months now and I've been monitoring my driving since day one in an attempt to obtain some real world mpg figures. I've searched the internet for such figures for both the Prius and the Civic but most of what I found did not include much supporting evidence.

I commute a total of 34 miles round trip 5 days a week. The commute road is mostly flat except for a slight grade going over the bridge. Typical driving speeds range from 55mph to 65mph depending on traffic flow.

The only other person in the car is my wife, there is no cargo in the trunk and the tires are inflated to the recommended tire pressure.

Local weather conditions are mild to moderate (60°F - 85°F, dry, no humidity to speak of).

Under these listed conditions I've documented the following figures...
Best MPG: 47.25
Worst MPG: 41.5
Average MPG: 44.81

I've kept a careful records including odometer readings before and after filling up, how much gas was pumped, price, etc. Attached is an abbreviated list if you're looking for these details.

All in all I am very happy with my Civic Hybrid.

·
Registered
381 Posts
unhappy owner said:
I bought one last month and so far I am only getting 37mpg. According to the serivce manager, he said it will go up to 47mpg after the first oil change. If I were you i would ask the dealer about the actual mileage, becuase i feel I was lead to believe that the car will give you 47mpg. If I had known this before hand I would have bought a regular civic.
I drive a Prius myself, but I've seen other posts here that indicate that too much engine oil can reduce mpg; mine may have arrived in that state. :p Any chance you've got too much oil?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Civic Hybrid

Also check your tire pressures! I was averaging 44MPG (I have the automatic) when I first got the car (first two fuel tanks worth). I then decided to check air pressure in the tires (they were at 30-31). I increased the air pressure to 35psi (tires say maximum of 51psi), and my MPG went to 46! I am going to experiment more. My drive is almost all Interstate highway about 35 miles each way with very little city driving.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
honda civic actual milage

i have put only 1300 city miles on my new civic hybrid and am only getting 32.9 mpg. the dealership service dept. tells me, now (not when i bought it), that is normal for the type of short distance city driving i do. i'm thinking of selling the car even though it's only 3 months old. i didn't want a low end model civic but since they only make low end model hybrid cars, i went ahead and got a cheaper car than i wanted because the low gas mileage, environmental concerns were more important to me. i am sorely disappointed! i feel like i have a cheap little car that gets mediocre gas mileage. :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
civic...

Don't give up yet! I'm a Prius driver and just learning the 'hybrid ropes' has made a great difference. Accelerate fast, get up to speed, then coast. Anticipate stops and get off the gas. Coast. I know the tech details in the Prius are different than the Honda hybrid, but changing a few basic driving techniques will net a great increase in MPG in either car. If you are unwilling to change driving habits (lugging around slowly, NOT coasting, etc.) then don't expect any great MPGs. I have all the faith in the world in hybrid tech (Honda or Toyota, as they seem to be leading the pack), but changing driving technique is required. These cars really do respond to your right foot! Love my Prius!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my display always shows a fairly good mpg.
But when you get down to basics, you have to divide miles/gal.
The hand calculated figure always is 10% lower than the displayed mpg.
Over 18,000 miles of driving, and I am very careful how to coast, lower driving speeds, etc -- my calculated average: 40.8mpg
Hardly close to what Honda avertises.
In town driving, I only get about 38 on the display.
Freeway driving (under 65m/h, and no air condition), I can get about 47 on the display.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Civic

You will get better mpg if you drive like a grandma and not mashing the pedal to get up to speed. Its better to keep a constant speed

·
Registered
363 Posts
Re: Civic

SyZyGy said:
You will get better mpg if you drive like a grandma and not mashing the pedal to get up to speed. Its better to keep a constant speed
That is actually a matter of debate here. Some propose that with the way the hybrid system works it may be better to swiftly get up to a speed where the system is at its most effecient, and then cruise. The thinking is that the ICE is running at about the same RPM and using the same amount of fuel whether you are accelerating swiftly or slowly but by accellerating swiftly you spend less total time in the inefficent accelleration state.

On the other side of the coin sharp stops are going to waste energy. The regenerative system works best with mild to moderate braking. If you hit the brakes relatively hard you are generating more power than can easily be stored in the batteries (batteries charge best slowly) so it is wasted. If you hit the brakes really hard, you are engaging the friction brakes and converting all of your hard won kinetic energy into heat and losing it.

So, crisp off the line, brake gently to a stop. Is this best? I don't know for sure, has anyone done a controlled test?

Plus its just FUN to be fastest off the line and most efficent too.

But be careful ;-),
Grandpa Skip

1 - 20 of 31 Posts