Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, my name is Scott and I am new to the forum and the Prius. I am talking to a dealer about buying a Prius. I have been eye-balling the Prius awhile... esp since I consider myself fairly eco-friendly.

What kind of maintenance do you have to routinely perform? Is the maintenance more or less then a conventional car? What are the common repairs needing to be done? How often do the battery cells have to be replaced? How many love their Prius vs people that hated their experience with them.

I know, lots of questions. I didn't see any stickied posts for this info, but if you know of any good threads with some of this info then feel free to point this newb in the right direction.

I am looking forward to getting to know the community and more about the Prius. Laterz :wink:

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
For nearly all maintenance refer to the Toyota provided service booklet. It is usually refered to the maintenance "passport".

Specifically every 5000 miles you will do an oil change and rotate the tires. Rotating the tires is more for their life than the life of the vehicle, but on the factory set of tires you have to pay for rotations, but when you buy tires from a third party they generally give you rotations for the life of the vehicle.

At longer intervals the book will call for air filter and cabin air filter replacements. I believe that the first of those is 15,000.

Anyway, do not ever take a dealer up on a 30k 60k 90k service because those services frequently include services that are not applicable for the Prius. Dealers are still advocating 3000 mile oil changes, but Toyota doesn't require it and if you choose to use full synthetic motor oil with your first oil change, 5000 miles on a change is no big deal at all. Toyota's mileage recommendations are not based on using synthetic oils.

A major service at 100k, including both coolant system flushes and gearbox fuild change are part of teh standard schedule. Some argue for a gearbox fluid change at 50 or 60k. Probably good preventative maintenance.

Read the passport and follow that, and if you feel so inclined a gearbox fluid swap at 50 or 60k for good measure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
jeromap said about all of it. I think you'll find the Prius to be less maintaince then a "regular" car. The only exception is that it loves to eat tires, but you can't have everything LOL.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Exactly!!! That's why i say the Prius generally needs less maintaince then a "regular car" Basically it's a change the fluids and the filters when you should kind of car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses! I am going to go test drive one on monday. Sounds like I may have to put it on order if I can work out a good deal with the dealership.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: Prius Eats Tires

My experience shows that the Prius DOES NOT eat tires.

I recently replaced the Michelin HydroEdges on my 2002 Prius early at around 65,000 miles, because I was concerned about a long desert trip. However, I believe that these would have lasted 80,000, if I hadn't changed them; because they still had usable tread on them.

I was running 44/42, but switched to 46/44 because the shoulders were worn a little more than the center of the tire.

By the way, I bought another set of HydroEdges!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Prius Eats Tires

Phoenix said:
My experience shows that the Prius DOES NOT eat tires.

I recently replaced the Michelin HydroEdges on my 2002 Prius early at around 65,000 miles, because I was concerned about a long desert trip. However, I believe that these would have lasted 80,000, if I hadn't changed them; because they still had usable tread on them.

I was running 44/42, but switched to 46/44 because the shoulders were worn a little more than the center of the tire.

By the way, I bought another set of HydroEdges!
Phoenix,

I believe you are over inflating your Michelin HydroEdges!!!!!! The Max allowable inflation pressure for these tires is 44 psig. You are risking tire failure or blowout by over inflating them beyond the design specifications.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Hi, Sliderule,

Is the 44 PSI you mentioned for specifically the Michelins [or the Goodyear Integrities (OEM on the '04 through the '07's ---& I don't know about the '08's as of yet)]??

Phoenix did say his Prius is a 2002 "Classic" & I believe the ORIGINAL tires were rated for 50 PSI max. He may have remembered that figure & forgot to check the max inflation rating on the sidewall of his new Michelins. If that's the case, we thank you for alert'g him.

What say you, Phoenix? What is the max inflation rating as stamped on your new Michelins? Some of us (maybe just really me) are curious.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Michelin HydroEdge

The maximum pressure on the sidewalls is 44 psi. That's why I ran the first set at 44/42. However, I am willing to take the risk of running these at about 4.5% overpressure to even out the wear on the shoulders.

In Arizona, the (actual) 44 psi cold pressure immediately goes up when you drive, a couple of psi in the winter and several in the summer; so I figure 2 psi doesn't make much difference. They may even run slightly cooler with the higher pressure. And, NO, I would not risk running these at 50 psi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts