Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my initial discouragement at being told that it would be 6 months to a year before I could expect to get a Prius I took the advice of several posters here and called around to all the dealers in my region. I got the same story from most, but one told me he had one comming in "next week sometime" that was not yet spoken for. I was elated even though it wasn't the package I wanted, and put money down on the spot. "It's yours" he said, and I eagerly awaited his call.
The call didn't come, and when I checked early the next week he told me that Toyota had reallocated the car, but because it had already been spoken for Toyota was going to increase their next allocation and he should have a car for me "sometime next month".
I know the seemingly random system of long lists at some dealers and cars sitting unclaimed at others until someone happens to call has been a source of discontent to some, but this doesn't seem like much more of a reasonable approach to me. Has Toyota changed their approach in the face of the high demand? Has anyone had a similar experience? If this is purely local, and I'm being jerked around by the dealer I'd just as soon wait for the 2005 as reward him for being less than straight with me.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Think Carrot + Stick and you're a Mule......

Wait for the next allocation if you will, but if he's got another 'explaination' when it doesn't come or suddenly the price jumps you'd be very well served to walk away.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Based on what I've read here and there, the word "Toyota" sometimes seems to mean the manufacturer in Japan, and sometimes means the regional distributor in your region of the US or your country. The interests of the distributor in your region may not coincide with the interests of Toyota Motor Corp. It's even possible that your dealer sold that car to someone else who offered him a premium for it, and then lied to you. If he told you the car was yours, I would demand documentation that the distributor really snatched it from him, because if he's lying to you, you had a binding legal contract with him (his verbal promise) and you could take action against him. If the distributor snatched it, the question to ask is whether the distributor violated his contract with the dealer, or whether the dealer really had no claim on the car in the first place, and was lying to you because the car was not yet his to promise.

If you can really get the one you want in a month you may not want to raise a stink and create bad feelings. But if the dealer is being dishonest, you may be better off to sue him for breaking his verbal contract, and buy your car elsewhere.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Next time, ask the dealer if he can provide you with the VIN.

roburr said:
After my initial discouragement at being told that it would be 6 months to a year before I could expect to get a Prius I took the advice of several posters here and called around to all the dealers in my region. I got the same story from most, but one told me he had one comming in "next week sometime" that was not yet spoken for. I was elated even though it wasn't the package I wanted, and put money down on the spot. "It's yours" he said, and I eagerly awaited his call.
The call didn't come, and when I checked early the next week he told me that Toyota had reallocated the car, but because it had already been spoken for Toyota was going to increase their next allocation and he should have a car for me "sometime next month".
I know the seemingly random system of long lists at some dealers and cars sitting unclaimed at others until someone happens to call has been a source of discontent to some, but this doesn't seem like much more of a reasonable approach to me. Has Toyota changed their approach in the face of the high demand? Has anyone had a similar experience? If this is purely local, and I'm being jerked around by the dealer I'd just as soon wait for the 2005 as reward him for being less than straight with me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The demand is so high for these things all kinds off games are possible. Toyota will punish any dealers they confirm are selling higher than MSRP by cutting their allotment. Some money on the side to the G.M. or Owner might get somebody a car that had been "promised" to a straight customer.
The idea of getting the VIN is only valid after the vehicle listed in the dealers computer as "A" alloted, "flips" to an "F" in freight. Only at the time it "flips" does the dealer get an actual VIN number that he can sell.
When the car hits the dock and is headed for a dealer, the computer will filp it from an A to an F. At that point it is only a matter of how long it takes the train and/or truck to get from the dock to the dealer for that car to show up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called around and found one available wiith my specs about 2.5 hours away. Dealer said he couldn't get a VIN until the vehicle landed stateside. It did 2 weeks later and he called me with the VIN. Expect to pick it up this weekend.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts