Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, am a new prius buyer here - is the MSRP the same for all dealers? So, when I go to a dealer and insist on an MSRP - the price I am offering to pay is $23,465 (AM option package - according to the Toyota website).... is this correct?

I just want to make sure I have this right - because I am on a wait list and dealer said that this was at MSRP and not a penny more!

thanx!

·
Registered
98 Posts
MSRP varies not only depending on the package, but also any other added options by the dealer (ie... penstripe, mats, etc...). Also, look to make sure that the dealer you are getting it from has a reasonable doc fee. Each Toyota region also has a delivery fee, these may vary state to state.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
There is a large maybe 20 by 12" sticker on one of the rear side windows with everything on the car listed including delivery charges and total MSRP. This is the price some dealers are adding as much as $5,000 to. Keep the sticker. It will become valuable over the years. It will have the cars identification number on it. There are outfits in the U.S. who can print you up one of these for most american cars if you give them your cars id number. Fee is about $100.00

·
Registered
884 Posts
Consumers Union (Consumer Reports) provides printouts of sticker and invoice prices, discounts given to buyers and dealers, and dealer holdbacks. There is a nominal fee for this service, but after you have decided on a car model, this info will help determine what the dealer pays so you can decide how much profit you want to give them.

You may still have to pay a premium, but at least you will know exactly how much extra you are stuffing in the dealer's pocket.

http://www.consumerreports.org

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the dealer i'm dealing with has said that he will charge the sticker price (MSRP) - that is the best i can expect, i guess - with this high of a demand - not much negotiating room!

A couple of other dealers I went to insisted on $3000 premium over the MSRP! (I walked out of their office as fast as I could, letting them know - no deal now, and nor in the future).

From everything I've read about Prius - this is a great car, so I'm willing to go for the higher cost of at MSRP (no discount or premium)- I don't think the price is coming down anytime soon given this demand...

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Mulroney sticker (window sticker) will show the cost of the car, but you need to ask the dealer about any other additional fees. Almost every dealer in the country has a documentation fee. These fees can vary by hundreds of dollors in as little as 30 miles. Our doc fee is 399, but if you go 30 miles down the road the doc fee is 699 or higher. The best way for making sure you are getting the car at the best possible price is to find out your "out the door" price. This will include tax, tag fee, everything. This way you know exactlly what you are financing/paying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting side note...I checked cars.com for USED 2004 Prii in the Seattle area and the asking prices were all well above 25000....and here I was hoping that my new 2005 would come in well below that figure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts