Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drive downhill, not a short hill but a hill about 1-2 miles long, the engine revs when i get to the stop light. It is very strange because when I stop at the bottom of the hill the engine will rev for quite a while. I try to shut off the engine by pressing the brake in farther but it doesn't work. Do any of you have this experience?

·
Registered
298 Posts
How fast are you driving and how long after startup does this hill come on your drive?

If the engine is not hot yet, or if the drive down takes too long, the engine may be trying to get hot again???

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
"Post subject: what happens to your Prius when you go downhill"

Well, depending on how steep the hill is, the stuff from the backseat falls on the floor and rolls under the seat, and anything not netted in the way back comes forward. And my 'stuff' falls off the front seat under the dash. Sometimes my coffee sloshes.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Depends on a few things...

How long were you driving before you got to the descent? If the engine and emission components are still cold, the gasoline engine will run to warm them up. Usually at least the first 5 minutes of a trip, hill or no hill.

Was this a long/steep enough descent that you would've needed to use the B gear? Is your battery icon higher than normal? When the battery can no longer accept a charge, the battery likes to discharge itself to a more acceptable middle territory, and it will spin the gasoline engine just to bleed off power.

·
Registered
66 Posts
teoulmoon said:
When I drive downhill, not a short hill but a hill about 1-2 miles long, the engine revs when i get to the stop light. It is very strange because when I stop at the bottom of the hill the engine will rev for quite a while. I try to shut off the engine by pressing the brake in farther but it doesn't work. Do any of you have this experience?
Is your battery displaying a full charge on the MFD? On a daily basis, I decend a hill with a +600 vertical foot decline and often times, my battery will be fully charged long before I reach the bottom. It appears that the ICE will start in these cases to (believe it or not) reduce the SOC (state of charge) on the battery to protect it from overcharging.

Since I take the same route daily, I have been able to eliminate situation this by dropping into neutral (don't worry, I keep my hand on the shifter just in case) as the battery reaches the maximum charge that the computers will allow.

·
Registered
298 Posts
kjb516 said:
teoulmoon said:
Is your battery displaying a full charge on the MFD? On a daily basis, I decend a hill with a +600 vertical foot decline and often times, my battery will be fully charged long before I reach the bottom. It appears that the ICE will start in these cases to (believe it or not) reduce the SOC (state of charge) on the battery to protect it from overcharging.

Since I take the same route daily, I have been able to eliminate situation this by dropping into neutral (don't worry, I keep my hand on the shifter just in case) as the battery reaches the maximum charge that the computers will allow.
Sounds like a good time to go EV just before the hill. If you're going to get a free charge, why not take advantage of it by going 100% electric prior to the hill?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, depending on how steep the hill is, the stuff from the backseat falls on the floor and rolls under the seat, and anything not netted in the way back comes forward. And my 'stuff' falls off the front seat under the dash. Sometimes my coffee sloshes.
Sanny, Sanny, Sanny - - You forgot to mention the most significant result of going down a hill . . .

And (OF COURSE!!!) that is that the "oil level checking rag" often falls out of the "air intake/oil level checking rag holder" - now THAT'S annoying!!! I have a terrible time finding it again if the hill is steep enough. :roll:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Lefty said:
Sanny, Sanny, Sanny - - You forgot to mention the most significant result of going down a hill . . .

And (OF COURSE!!!) that is that the "oil level checking rag" often falls out of the "air intake/oil level checking rag holder" - now THAT'S annoying!!! I have a terrible time finding it again if the hill is steep enough. :roll:
If the cubs are using the waterslide on the roof at the time, they have a difficult time building up momentum...and my glasses slide forward on my nose. 8)

·
Registered
66 Posts
CaPriusLover said:
Sounds like a good time to go EV just before the hill. If you're going to get a free charge, why not take advantage of it by going 100% electric prior to the hill?
I do try to consume as much electricity as possible going up hill seeing as I will gain this back and more on the other side. However, this is not always possible depending upon traffic situations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys I think you have hit it right on the head. it does sound like the engine is discharging the excess. Maybe i'll try the illegal neutral thing. I really hate when the engine makes that noise it sounds like something is broke. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
An04Prius said:
If the cubs are using the waterslide on the roof at the time, they have a difficult time building up momentum...and my glasses slide forward on my nose. 8)
Hmm. Maybe let the cubs use the front of the car for sliding when you're going downhill? Of course, you'd need a net in front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The opening is just to obvious:

When I go downhill:

I am just glad I can still get to my Prius to drive it. :)
I am glad the seats recline so I can rest at rest stops :)
I am glad the hood is aluminum so it is not to heavy to lift :)
I am glad there are 9 speakers so I can turn the books on tape loud enough to hear :)
I am glad there are controls on the steering wheel because it takes to long for me to reach the radio :)

I think I'll keep my day job but it was fun thinking about. What are your contributions?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
As I already mentioned we don't have hills in Florida.

·
Registered
919 Posts
melgish said:
Nor in Illinois. But we do have Cubs here, Sanny, and they're not always behaving.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
evander said:
Nor in Illinois. But we do have Cubs here, Sanny, and they're not always behaving.
YOUR Cubs carry big sticks, and they swing them around a lot! Do your Cubs go downhill?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sanny said:
evander said:
YOUR Cubs carry big sticks, and they swing them around a lot! Do your Cubs go downhill?
All the time.

·
Registered
669 Posts
CaPriusLover said:
melgish said:
Sure you do! They're called speed bumps! :)
I grew up in Florida. Sure there are hills! That's when, if you are riding your bicycle, it is slightly harder to pedal going in one direction down the street than the other. :lol:

I went on a road trip this weekend from Pasadena-ish to Idylwild-ish. My SO was disappointed that the battery only got up to the top bar coming back downhill, it didn't actually go into "shake off the volts" mode. We did get a bit nervous watching the pips disappear on the way up!

One thing the Prius does is give you feedback about what you simply never notice in a "regular" car. Other cars get lousy mileage going up mountains, too!

Why did I just want to type "muggle" instead of "regular?"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts