Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. You turn the car off by just pressing POWER and not pressing PARK? I've done this a couple of times by accident. Is it bad for the car?

2. You accidentally leave your smart key in the car and try to lock the door? Will it lock anyway, leaving you keyless? I'm so confused by the numerous beeps!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
1) Nothing. It automatically goes into park and then off. Park is nice if you want to review wnat you need to write down, put away, or lock up before you power down, like mileage for a small business.

2) Can't lock your key in the car. Won't lock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So then the question is asked, "If you know you're parked, why not just press POWER and forget about PARK? It's not like other cars where you can't remove the key in PARK!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can just press POWER without PARK and it will power down. POWER without PARK automatically goes into PARK and then powers down, and there is no harm done to the car. Sorry if I sounded confusing. I think this answer also appears in the FAQ part of the Forum.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
2) THe beeps are explained in the manual. I don't have all of them off hand but most mean either you left the car on or left your keys inside (or brought them outside without shutting off the car)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I wouldn't count on the SmartKey not getting locked in. The manual warns that it is possible. Haven't tried it yet myself! I could imagine the sensors getting confused if the key was way off to one side or something, or there was momentary interference.

·
Registered
370 Posts
drash said:
You can just press POWER without PARK and it will power down. POWER without PARK automatically goes into PARK and then powers down, and there is no harm done to the car. Sorry if I sounded confusing. I think this answer also appears in the FAQ part of the Forum.
The only thing I have to add is that if I engage the parking brake before I put it in "park", the car will lurch slightly when I power off. I try to remember to "park" it before I set the brake. I guess I could power down first and then set the brake.

I assume others see the same thing?

DGStan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I usually hit park first, but if you have the foot on the brake when powering off, it goes to auto park before powering off, then you let go of the brake, the car will roll onto the parking pawl. Same will occur if you press park first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My daughter lost my extra key. Soon after I wasn't able to lock the car. Turns out the extra key was under the passenger seat. It wouldn't lock with the key in the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can lock the smart key in the car by putting it in the cargo area, then locking the car by pressing the switch on the inside of the door before closing it, or by using the second smart key as usual from outside the car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i found the smartkey won't be recognized if it's in the hatch.

tossed my bag, containing my key, in the back of the car one day. was kind of in a hurry. pressed power... nothing. the little yellow key icon showed up on the dash. damn! but now i know.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
WDIN said:
You can lock the smart key in the car by putting it in the cargo area, then locking the car by pressing the switch on the inside of the door before closing it, or by using the second smart key as usual from outside the car.
...so I say to the AAA guy with a puzzled expression on his face, "hey look, it wasnt easy, this is a very smart car, locking your key in it takes a LOT of effort." :oops:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe you want to lock the car with the fob inside.

So you take your dog with you on an errand and have to run into the post office. You don't want to leave the windows open or Spot will jump out, and if you close the windows, it could be Roast Spot by the time you get out of the post office lines. SO...

Park and put the car in IG-ON. Turn on the AC, lock the doors from the door switch, take out the mechanical key from the fob, leave the fob in the car, get out and lock the driver's door from the outside.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: Maybe you want to lock the car with the fob inside.

Bill Merchant said:
So you take your dog with you on an errand and have to run into the post office. You don't want to leave the windows open or Spot will jump out, and if you close the windows, it could be Roast Spot by the time you get out of the post office lines. SO...

Park and put the car in IG-ON. Turn on the AC, lock the doors from the door switch, take out the mechanical key from the fob, leave the fob in the car, get out and lock the driver's door from the outside.
I do not have a dog. But I would never leave a dog, a child, a frog, a manatee, or any living thing in a car while I ran an errand. Find some other way:
-Leave dog home
-Have another person with you, who walks the dog while you're erranding
-Give a kid in the area $2. to mind the dog while you are erranding
-Send the dog into the post office, and lock yourself in the car :)

juuust joking

·
Registered
928 Posts

Bill Merchant said:

I don't believe the AC can run in IG-ON because it runs off the HV battery and the HV battery is disconnected except in READY. So you'll probably still end up with "Roast Spot". eeewwwww!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts

RSnyder said:
Bill Merchant said:

I don't believe the AC can run in IG-ON because it runs off the HV battery and the HV battery is disconnected except in READY. So you'll probably still end up with "Roast Spot". eeewwwww!
That is correct. RSnyder beat me to the punch. The fan will run, but not the AC compressor.

·
Registered
669 Posts
See the polar bear's alternatives. I wouldn't even leave a cub in the car.

Although, I suspect he put in the manatee because he would prefer his dinner fresh from the ocean... not that I'm sensitive or anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts