Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of posting of what you like about it, etc. but how about naming the top 3-5 things you don't like about it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The wait to get it, and the attitude of the dealer cause they know they're gonna sell it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hate how the rear-end collects dirt/dust.......

I don't like the interior fabric.....my driver's door arm-rest is already showing very poor wear and everything spots easily.....

I hate the plastic on the interior door panel......it stratches very easily.

I especially hate how most all hawt young woman are instantly attracted by the chick magnetism of this rig.
:wink:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Agree about the back getting dirty very quickly.

I don't like that when I'm trying to fold the seats back UP, they usually have trouble clicking back into place completely.

I don't like the dirty looks I get sometimes from other drivers when I veer over to the carpool lane all by my little solo self...fortunately it's darker during my morning commute now so I don't see them as much.

I don't like that with the rising cost of gas, all my friends who live more than 10 miles away and KNOW I drive a more fuel-efficient car than them expect me to come to them all the time instead of driving to visit my place...haven't had anyone come visit ME in a while.

I don't like that accessories and after-market additions are so limited...you have to either do a lot of research and get something made for an entirely different vehicle, or turn to a company which is way on the other side of the country from my location :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Most of my complaints are with the interior:

The crappy "dashboard" (and lack of)

The weak attempt to be "futuristic" (poorly excecuted)

Low level of finish.

It's a car. Make it look and feel like one inside.

Outside styling is cool.. Thumbs up for the outside.

I also agree with the saleman problems. Funniest thing is that here in Vancouver, for a car the is "sold out and sells itself" I have sure had a lot of salesman calling me begging me to part with my $$$. My wife and I had a good laugh over this, wondering how much of this was really nothing more than sheer "hype".. .Like standing in line for a nightclub and the doormen making you wait an hour, pay a $20 cover only to get inside and find the place next to empty. .

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think the voice recognition stuff is a complete waste. The only command I ever use is "POI OFF". Have I just not embraced the system? Do others find it useful?

I'd much rather have "fan speed" buttons on the wheel in place of the voice button.

I also cannot stand the volume control of the stereo system. Instead of 63 notches, why not twenty of thirty? I don't need that fine of a volume control. It takes forever to turn the volume up/down when you want to do it quickly. I end up using the knob rather than the buttons on the wheel.

The rear spoiler seems kind of flimsy. That's not just mine, right?

DGStan

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
paul16451 said:
I don't like that with the rising cost of gas, all my friends who live more than 10 miles away and KNOW I drive a more fuel-efficient car than them expect me to come to them all the time instead of driving to visit my place...haven't had anyone come visit ME in a while.
I hear ya. Every time we're at a gathering and we go out to dinner, they all expect ME to drive...

fish_antlers, it sells itself (and is "sold out") beucase the ordering system in Canada (or at least in BC) makes it so that the car comes in only if someone orders it. They rarely have any on the lot that isn't sold.

Don't forget, they make $2k on every base model and $4k on every Premium Package model they sell!! (Don't know about the nav pack). So of course they want to sell it to you cause they make possibly $4,000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The things I think are a mistake:
1) Unconventional shift lever/mechanism- The joystick and park button have exactly the same functions as a standard shifter so why not use one? The Prius just serves to confuse people. It's ridiculous that they have to give you a packet of cards so that a valet can figure out how to drive the car.

2) Power Button function- The "On", "IG-ON", and "ACC" functions could be handled by a simple rotary switch like in other cars. Once again, why confuse people when it isn't necessary. You could still have the smart-key just use a switch to select the modes.

Dave

·
Registered
548 Posts
For me, it's all about the seats, steering wheel, and fit and finish. If I could adjust the seats I wouldn't really be so bothered by the subpar fit and finish. :(

·
Registered
370 Posts
fish_antlers said:
[quote="Mark Prius":2jungyxe]Re: Fish Antlers

I thought they banned white trash on this forum. You still trolling and having Prius envy?
wow ... is this really what Prius owners are like??? :evil:

my observations about the Prius are just as valid as anyone elses. :evil:[/quote:2jungyxe]

But if you don't own a Prius, don't ever plan on owning one, and clearly don't like the car, what in the world are you doing here?

There has got to be more interesting pots to stir.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My observations after driving both an 03 and 05 Prius are just as valid as anyone else's.

Perhaps Toyota may read this topic and fix the problems with the car.

Then in 07 I could buy one. But not until they fix the issues with it.

They already have your money. I would hazrd to guess that my opinion as a future potential customer carries quite a bit of weight.

Is that really such a tough pil to swallow?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fish_antlers said:
They already have your money. I would hazrd to guess that my opinion as a future potential customer carries quite a bit of weight.
This iimplies that people who own a Prius will never buy another car? Wow, they must be great cars! Honestly I think they care more about people who have already bought their cars in the past and are, therefore, more likely to buy one in the future. It is much cheaper for them to generate revenue from maintaining loyalty than it is for them to go after each non-customer based on their own definition of what cars they should make. It's the same in every business.

·
Registered
45 Posts
dgstan said:
I think the voice recognition stuff is a complete waste. The only command I ever use is "POI OFF". Have I just not embraced the system? Do others find it useful?
I use it mostly to turn on and off the guidance system. Or to get a good laugh when I speak commands in Italian and see the results! :lol:

dgstan said:
I'd much rather have "fan speed" buttons on the wheel in place of the voice button.
I'd love that, too!

dgstan said:
The rear spoiler seems kind of flimsy. That's not just mine, right?
It doesn't seem flimsy to me; what bothers me sometimes is the limited rear visibility, even though Consumer Reports rated the Prius first among family sedans in its blind spot measurement test (you might need to register to their website to read the article): only 7' for a 5' 8" tall driver, against 31' for the same person in a H3! Sorry, couldn't resist. :twisted:

·
Registered
619 Posts
redwein said:
It is much cheaper for them to generate revenue from maintaining loyalty than it is for them to go after each non-customer based on their own definition of what cars they should make. It's the same in every business.
You may believe that to be the case, but I dont believe this is an accurate statement. Corporations like Toyota have their eye on a much bigger picture than the small handful of people who already own a Prius. I am positive they would like to see anyone and everyone who drives a vehicle to switch to their product.

You, as a current Prius owner, are simply a guinee pig in their attempt to refine their product to attract customers from other brands and to entice them into making the choice to "switch". As for your loyalty, they bank on it, but as most members here have demonstrated, people who own Prius do so for either economic or enviromental purposes, or combination of the two.

Brand loyality, I would guess, is very far down the line. If Hummer or Kia (or insert brand) came out with a cheap reliable hybrid or alternative fuel vehicle that exceeded the current standards then consumers would switch.

If Toyota can fix the problems with the Prius, many consumers (myself included) would make the switch.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fish_antlers said:
If Toyota can fix the problems with the Prius, many consumers (myself included) would make the switch.
I would agree with you if there was a universal agreement on what you are referring to as problems. Is it so hard to accept that some of the things you do not like, others do? Personally I am very happy with the interior styling and dash, for example, althought I did have aftermarket leather installed. That doesn't mean that they couldn't come up with changes to it that I wouldn't like better. I would have to see them and then decide.

Toyota doesn't give a rat's ass about either your or my opinion specifically. They care about the market as a whole. That being said, they, and all car companies, do focus group testing to try out new ideas and then tend to go with those that "play" best with the focus group. For every change that Toyota would consider making, they would factor in how much bigger their market opportunity would be. If the market opportunity grew by 1 because only you liked it, they certainly wouldn't make the change.

The evidence suggests (number of people who have bought and are continuing to buy the current model) that they are at least on the right track. Like any product they will certainly make improvements in subsequent model years and will have major redesigns. It is possible that the current owners will welcome those changes and buy those cars too. That doesn't imply in any way that they think their current car is "flawed", just that progress is inevitable and something to look forward to.

I'm certainly willing to accept your opinions, agree with some of them and disagree with others, but overall respect them as being valid and respect your right to have them. My only issue is when you imply that liking the car in its current state is a position that isn't worth respecting.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts