Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much extra weight does the battery pack add? What about the other components of the hybrid drive system? In other words, what would the car weigh if it were just an ordinary 4 cylinder car? I tried "search" but could find nothing.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, since the classic is similar to the echo body, and uses the same engine, try comparing their two weights. Won't be perfect, but will get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The battery pack is about 100 pounds. The electric motors add some weight as well; but the Prius does away with a conventional transmission, saving a lot of weight, and it's also missing a starter, and alternator, saving some weight. It probably all balances out.

To do DanMan's numbers:

A 2003 Prius weighs 2795 pounds, and a 2003 Echo weighs 2105 pounds.

A more modern comparison shows the '05 Prius at 2890 pounds, the '05 Corolla at 2615 pounds (base + auto transmission,) and the '05 Camry (base 4cyl + auto transmission) at 3164 pounds. (The Prius falls between the Corolla and Camry in 'size' according to Consumer Reports.) So it appears to be right in line with a comparable vehicle.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
ehurtley said:
Th
A more modern comparison shows the '05 Prius at 2890 pounds, the '05 Corolla at 2615 pounds (base + auto transmission,) and the '05 Camry (base 4cyl + auto transmission) at 3164 pounds. (The Prius falls between the Corolla and Camry in 'size' according to Consumer Reports.) So it appears to be right in line with a comparable vehicle.
When I first saw you comparing the Prius with a Corolla, I was going to toss the flag, but then you added the Camry. Good work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think I had read somewhere the entire HSD II system weighed in at 57Kg (without the battery). The new improved motors weighed 40% less than the Classic Prius' motors. I thought someone had transposed the numbers and it should be 75Kg but I guess you would have to put in bigger 12V lead acid battery as well as alternator and transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts