Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I ask or say to the dealer to have them enable the alarm for free?

If it's just a software thing, i don't see it as a problem, but you never know how they'll react..

thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
most places will charge you $40 just to plug in the scantool if they're jerks about it.

personally, i wouldn't activate the alarm. it's a tremendous pain.

however, since you asked, i'd gauge their reaction by starting with something to the effect of "i heard my prius has a passive alarm, how would i go about activating that?"

if that gets a bad response, something like "but i heard i should have had the option to personalize my options for free when i bought the car" or something to that effect may help.

good luck. but again, i wouldn't activate that stupid alarm if i were you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
galaxee said:
most places will charge you $40 just to plug in the scantool if they're jerks about it.

however, since you asked, i'd gauge their reaction by starting with something to the effect of "i heard my prius has a passive alarm, how would i go about activating that?"

if that gets a bad response, something like "but i heard i should have had the option to personalize my options for free when i bought the car" or something to that effect may help.

why is the alarm stupid? I'm just curious, is it no good or something?

what are you talking about 'personalizing my options' for free? is this some kind of promo?

I think the one leverage I have is that the price of the Prius went up 285 since I got my initial quote and I don't think I should have to pay this. If they can enable this alarm for free, I'll call it a wash...

·
Registered
370 Posts
idealflaw said:
galaxee said:

why is the alarm stupid? I'm just curious, is it no good or something?

what are you talking about 'personalizing my options' for free? is this some kind of promo?

I think the one leverage I have is that the price of the Prius went up 285 since I got my initial quote and I don't think I should have to pay this. If they can enable this alarm for free, I'll call it a wash...
First, the alarm causes me no end of grief. My wife and/or daughter will wait in the car for me sometimes. I'll lock the door and if they open it, the alarm goes off. If she doesn't have the key, she has to endure the shieking until I return.

Second, if your dealer attempts to charge you to hook the car up to their scantool, try another dealer. I had the defaults changed on an A/C setting. My local dealer wanted $100. The next one I tried did for free. Guess who gets my future business?

DGStan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
galaxee said:

You're talking about putting the alarm in passive mode, meaning it activates 30 seconds after power off and doors are closed, even if not locked. Active mode means the alarm is turned on when the doors are locked.

He's talking about enabling the alarm in general. Some of the lower packages had the alarm turned off at the factory. They can be turned on without installing the GBS sensor.

See if they will be willing to follow section H steps 1-10 on pages 12-14 in the TVIP V5 (RS3200 PLUS) installation manual (PDF file w141rs32.pdf in Techinfo). They do not and should not install the GBS, and if they don't, they don't have to cut the yellow wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts