Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toooooootally curious and interested in this car...
I've been looking........reading........listening.......and today I just test drove one...

...but then I look over at my big sturdy, comfy heated seat Chevy Avalanche and I shudder to think of giving it up!

sigh!

OMG.....I'm right on the edge......I got the money.....I found a dealer with the car at MSRP......but I'm still addicted to my big truck.....

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
bshef said:
I've been looking........reading........listening.......and today I just test drove one...

...but then I look over at my big sturdy, comfy heated seat Chevy Avalanche and I shudder to think of giving it up!

I shudder when I look at your Avalanche too. I gave up the feeling I am using two to three times more gas than necessary. I gave up part of the guilt I feel for my generation completely and selfishly trashing the planet for my kids. It is a small, comfortable step you are contimplating. Take it and be a good example to all those around you. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shudder when I look at your Avalanche too.
OMG.....ROFL
-good 1-
so.....what did you give up?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
It's like the smoking addiction. When everyone quits the country will be better envirementality and economically. However, until there are thirty waiting to be sold at all dealers from all manufacturers (GM, Ford, Hundai ect:) aside from the small amount Toyota is making it's like a pebble in the ocean. If it makes you feel better great but you have to remember you are going to a small Japanese sedan very much like the bottom of the line Corrola with a five thousand dollar hybrid power plant. Fabulous engineering but would you like to drive a Corolla from New York to Florida? If paying for a tank of gas in your present car does not bother you too much you might be really missing the Avalance in six months. Thats just what I believe to be one honest opinion from someone who has been driving a 2004 Prius, trouble free for a year but not as my only car.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
bshef said:
I shudder when I look at your Avalanche too.
OMG.....ROFL
-good 1-
so.....what did you give up?
This is an added car. Our other cars are Camry ( my wife's car) and New Beetle that will now be my daughter's. Both prefer my Prius. As do I.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As compared to my previous American mid-sized sedan, the only thing I gave up was visiting gas stations on a weekly basis. Oh yeah, I was also forced to give up on my addiction of supporting my local repair shop.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I gave up an Apple Power Mac G5. (No, really. I had been saving up money to buy that, expecting to wait 9 months for the Prius, and when the Prius became available immediately, I spent the G5 money as the down payment on the Prius.)

I didn't give up anything else. It is a significant improvement over my old Hyundai Accent, and even over the Ford Explorer. (We still keep the Explorer around for when we really need to haul large objects, or for camping, but that's it. I've even done some fairly large-object hauling in the Prius. And I'm teaching my wife to pack more lightly for camping, so it will fit in the Prius.)

And next week, we'll be taking our first major cross-country trip, driving from Portland, OR, to Nebraska. I can't wait to see the mileage descending the Rockies.

P.S. The Prius is closer to the Camry than the Corolla, now that it's a mid-size. And it drives every bit as comfortably as my parents (and my in-laws; hrm. I hadn't noticed that my in-laws and my parents drive the same car before,) Subaru Legacy. In fact, for the aforementioned trip to Nebraska, we decided to cram into the Prius over the in-laws' Legacy, even though their Legacy is a wagon. The decision was 75% comfort, 25% cost (gas savings.)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I gave up my beloved MR2 Roadster (Spyder) :cry: .

It was 3 years old, and needed new tyres, 60TKM service and I was going to take out the extended warranty. When I added up the costs, and took into accounthe probability of an engine blow out (common on the MR2) I decided to take the trade in to a Prius.

Still, when the merged the MR2/Celica Hybrid comes on the market, I will probably cross grade again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I gave up a 2003 MINI Cooper S :oops:
It was the most fun car I have ever owned or even driven, and by a huge margin. Alas the 2003 model year had quite a few quality issues, and with the dealer 1-1.5 hrs away (1 way), I just couldn't handle it any longer, especially with the warranty about to expire. I thought briefly about buying a new 05 Cooper S. However, I also was not getting the mileage I wanted in my MCS, mostly because on account of the tremendous fun I had, I ended up driving it like a maniac, and avergaed about 25 mpg mixed driving. I rented a Prius in CA out of curiosity, and came away impressed. Bottom line, due to reduced consumption and pollution, and better expected quality, I decided to get a Prius.
Now, with all the sad news about ANWAR being opened for drilling etc... I am doubly glad to be doing my part to reduce our dependency on oil. IMHO driving Priii is a much better approach than drilling in ANWAR.
I still miss the fun of the MINI though, but I love 'Signorina Elettra', my 05 Prius.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I traded in my 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

It was a beautiful looking car with an amazing engine/drivetrain. Other than that, it was a pile of junk. The build quality was embarrassing. The seat rocked (after multiple dealer attempts to fix it), everything rattled (sunroof, rear shelf, dashboard, headliner, etc. - again, the dealer was unable to remedy the problems),. And the gas mileage was a fraction of what the EPA said I'd get.

I was really concerned that I'd miss the G35, but so far, I haven't at all. I was also concerned about losing the "macho" factor of having a sportscar. This too was in my imagination. I get a lot more "longing looks" with the Prius than the G35.

I went from 17 MPG on premium to 46 MPG on regular. The Prius stereo is better (I added a sub), the seats are more comfortable, and with all the bells and whistles (NAV, BT, MFD), the Prius is more fun to drive!

DGStan

·
Registered
508 Posts
I gave up 10mph gas,brake,clutch, gas,brake,clutch, gas,brake,clutch, gas,brake,(hey - the clutch is gettin' kinda mushy!) gas,brake,clutch for 1.5 hours every day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was a little embarrassed trying to explain why I gave up a perfectly good 2004 Honda CR-V for my '05 Prius. It may not have made a lot of economic sense, but I have NO regrets.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
bshef said:

sigh!

OMG.....I'm right on the edge......I got the money.....I found a dealer with the car at MSRP......but I'm still addicted to my big truck.....
bshef, keep the Avalanche and add the Prius. I'm going to do the same.
Will keep my Toyota LandCruiser and get my prius ( my own ) No baby
sitting-Prius-Keepers any more for my affluent Prius owners. So I can drive, no more, yes siree !

Toyota Hybrids will rule this earth,

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
For me, my 1998 Saturn SL2 is still in the family, so I really didn't give up anything. Well, no...that's not true... I gave up a small piece of my sanity when I started dealing with Toyota of Melbourne. It's a crying shame I never had much sanity to spare :!:

ehurtley said:
we'll be taking our first major cross-country trip, driving from Portland, OR, to Nebraska.
I <strike>hate</strike><insert>love</insert> to nit-pick, but isn't that only half-way cross-country? :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow......I almost feel like a part of the family!

Think I found one for under MSRP!

Thanks for all the comments!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don't think I gave up anything. I originally wanted an 05 Corolla LE Pkg B (leather, moonroof, side/side curtain airbags, theft-deterrent system). Foglights, tyre pressure monitoring system, ABS w/EBD, 15" alloys are standard.

Basically, fully loaded - a baby Camry. My dad and I test drove the Prius (since I never had a chance to test the first gen) and boy were we impressed.

Maybe I should rephrase that. I gave up the luxury of leather and moonroof for the totally cool SKS, push button start, slick hybrid system and excellent fuel mileage.

Like most people here, I have no regrets

1 - 20 of 75 Posts