Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from my dealer where they did that computer recalibration deal. normally im there for an hour or two but today it was 4 hours. what actually did they do. im just crurious. i think they had to run the engine a lot since i was showing 25 mpg when i left. im not normally naive on this stuff but i am this time. as we say here in nashville ,hep me (help me ) :? :? :?

·
Registered
58 Posts
They had to reload software onto two computers and slap some waterproof grease on a connecting cable. It must be an involved process... my dealer commented that this update was WAY more extensive than the little update they did for me over the summer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
steve thanks for your reply. that was a big help. my dealer is also a pontiac dealer so i had the fun of seeing the new solstice (which i have on order) sitting waiting for its new owner. man is it neat!my prius for the practical me and my solstice for the sporty me 8) 8)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Update ECM (Engine ECU)
Update HV ECU
Seal connector to one of the MGs' sensor.

They only use .04 gallons in my car when I had it done. Brought it in at 9:45, they had it done 12:30. That's about expected, considering wait time before it gets to the tech.

·
Registered
80 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Update ECM (Engine ECU)
Update HV ECU
Seal connector to one of the MGs' sensor.

They only use .04 gallons in my car when I had it done. Brought it in at 9:45, they had it done 12:30. That's about expected, considering wait time before it gets to the tech.
How would you know that exact amount of 4/100 of a gallon? Even if you filled it as you arrived and left there are so many variables to account for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DanMan

Because he's DanMan. You too will soon realize not to question him, for he is so knowledgeable when it comes to the Prius and probably a lot of other things.

·
Registered
582 Posts
what did HE do?

Perhaps he knew the screen miles and mpg, both before and after the service, and without resetting. Did some math. It would not have been completely out of line to report two significant figures, and even more amazing to onlookers.

Extra points if a calculating device was not utilized.

DAS

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: what did HE do?

tochatihu said:
Perhaps he knew the screen miles and mpg, both before and after the service, and without resetting. Did some math. It would not have been completely out of line to report two significant figures, and even more amazing to onlookers.

DAS
DING DING DING! You win the prize.

Take miles/MPG upon bringing in the vehicle. This is the number of gallons used before taking it in for service.
Repeat for miles/MPG after the service. Subtract 2 from 1, that's the gallons the service dept used.

I don't recall the actual numbers any longer. I think they drove it 2 miles though. And yes, I did use a calculator, but that was it.

Now that I think about it, it may have been closer to .057 gallons. I vaugly remember calculating the MPG for the service, and came up with 35MPG.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree when it comes to prius knowlege its dan the man and john 1701a. end of discussion. :) 8) :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: what did HE do?

DanMan32 said:
tochatihu said:

DAS
DING DING DING! You win the prize.

Take miles/MPG upon bringing in the vehicle. This is the number of gallons used before taking it in for service.
Repeat for miles/MPG after the service. Subtract 2 from 1, that's the gallons the service dept used.

I don't recall the actual numbers any longer. I think they drove it 2 miles though. And yes, I did use a calculator, but that was it.

Now that I think about it, it may have been closer to .057 gallons. I vaugly remember calculating the MPG for the service, and came up with 35MPG.
So, if they sat idling in ready mode and forced it to somehow run the engine (I woud assume they can) that would lower the MPG. And then driving it for 2 miles would change it either way. Then the final numbers would still be accurate for gallons used. Well, at least as accurate as the MFD is. Hey, isn't it unfair that Toyota used your gas and didn't replace it? :wink: At $2.50 a gallon, they owe you .14¢?

·
Registered
112 Posts
To this day, *nobody* has been able to determine why they're
only greasing ONE out of THREE equally vulnerable connectors
on the transaxle case. I pulled the M5 connector out to check,
and sure, the backside is full of ATF, which is not
conductive, so WTF is the problem here and why is it
supposedly only localized to this one?
_H*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts