Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2-month old 2004 Prius with 4000km (=3000 miles) on the clock. I'm driving around Sydney, which has its share of hills and gullys, so the Prius is constantly charging and discharging its battery pack. On the Energy Monitor screen, the Battery charge indicator has shown any level from a full charge (very occasionally) down to about a half-charge capacity. The typical reading is around 3/4 charge - that is, the top 2 "bars" on the charge indicator are blank (=white background colour). I was just wondering if this is typical - do other Prius' exhibit the same sort of charge levels, or do other owners find the level is typically higher (or lower) ? I just want to understand if this is "normal" behaviour...

Thanks for all advice.

David

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hmm... am I seeing too much green?

I commute 75 miles each way, and while it's blue most of those miles, 3 times out of 4 I'm ending the trip on green... I've only seen red a couple of times.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My guess, Even the Japanese would regard "Green" as excellent. I would then feel "blue" is fine and that the "red" would just be a "caution" I believe under "red" I would turn off my "lights" if it were daylight and "ditto" the A/C until I got back into the "blue". Or you could turn off the screen and not be concerned with it at all.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Not necessarily. While I sincerly hope that you are correct and

green = best
blue = not as good
red = worse

A company I used to work for had licensed a patented information technology that called giffic, using
(corrected)
red / orange = exceeds expectations.
green = normal expectations.
blue = below normal expectations.

Having parted that company on less than equitable terms, I'd hate to think they could go after Toyota for infringement...

·
Registered
381 Posts
kellydavid said:
The typical reading is around 3/4 charge - that is, the top 2 "bars" on the charge indicator are blank (=white background colour).
This is what mine normally appears to try to maintain, whether it's just my daily commute or longer trips. I've only actually ever seen it go green (7 bars) twice. Same with the red/pink/whatever; first time was when I picked up the car (dealer's fault), second was when I left the car on with the A/C running for my wife while I made an ATM stop this past summer. Beyond that, it seems to either be at or heading for 6 bars, at which point it's almost amusing to watch it "fight" to stay below 7 (with arrows switching frequently between "charge" and "drain"). 8)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
zinzindorff9 said:
My guess, Even the Japanese would regard "Green" as excellent. I would then feel "blue" is fine and that the "red" would just be a "caution" I believe under "red" I would turn off my "lights" if it were daylight and "ditto" the A/C until I got back into the "blue". Or you could turn off the screen and not be concerned with it at all.
As long as the charge is in the range displayed on screen, you're fine. No need to take drastic actions (like turning things off) when it drops into the 'red' zone. The car is well-designed. It's not like the 12v battery on a normal car, where if it gets too low, you should worry about it. Just drive normally, and you'll be fine. (I actually found that I get better mileage if I ignore the 'Energy' screen altogether. Trying too hard to deal with the battery charge, or trying too hard to keep it in electric-only mode seems to make things worse.)

G

·
0 Posts
melgish said:
red / orange = exceeds expectations.
green = normal expectations.
blue = below normal expectations.
That doesn't make sense when you actually apply it.

Red & Green should NEVER be right next to each other. There is not enough contrast/tone to tell the difference under certain circumstances. And of course, those that are red/green colorblind can't see the difference at all. So blue was placed in between. It's primary-electronic-color basic design technique, nothing mind-boggling (or infringing).

As for Green being the best, that isn't correct. Moderate is the key. The dip into green is perfectly fine, when it's only minor & brief. But then again, getting well into the green is pretty hard to do anyway.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I never said it makes sense, but those are the values/definitions that were implemented and patented...Personally I dislike the whole scheme...

Red = above expectations, can mean something good or bad depending on the value being tested...thus

My body temperature is currently 105 degrees
My last paycheck was included a $1500 bonus

Under the Giffic system, both would be RED

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you are going to use the screen at all and the colors mean anything at all I would take it when you observe "red" and you know anything at all about vehicle electrics "red" would indicate to me to "download" everything possible. Wouldn't be "red" for long and at least you would be "thinking" If red means the same as blue then why the colors at all. Sounds like the "terrorist" color alerts and as easy to understand.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
zinzindorff9 said:
If you are going to use the screen at all and the colors mean anything at all I would take it when you observe "red" and you know anything at all about vehicle electrics "red" would indicate to me to "download" everything possible. Wouldn't be "red" for long and at least you would be "thinking" If red means the same as blue then why the colors at all. Sounds like the "terrorist" color alerts and as easy to understand.
It's early, and I may not be "thinking" ... are you refering to the actual colors, or my evaulation of the GIFFIC scheme? And what do you mean by "download" ?

I sure need that first cup this AM

·
Registered
515 Posts
> I would take it when you observe "red"

Fortunately, it is not actually red.

It is PINK.

Look closely at the photo I provided, note that pink is by far the most soothing of all colors, then ask yourself what other color could have been used. No other basic color would have contrasted with blue & green as well as PINK. In fact, even red wouldn't.

So consider it a passive warning. The car is hinting to you to reduce the electric A/C use if you are trapped in heavy traffic; otherwise, the engine will have to start back up. It is also telling you that while cruising you are better of MPG-wise to allow the engine to run briefly.

Without that color, you may not make an effort to find out what it means. Clearly, you did what you were suppose to. Now you're awareness will be higher, which will hopefully make your MPG higher too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
"Download" Turn off unnecessary systems. (For electrics, lights in the daylight and air conditioning) would be the example. "Pink" ok but it is a warning and as close to red as the color scale allows. "Green" we all know is "Peachy"

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
zinzindorff9 said:
"Green" we all know is "Peachy"
But peaches are sort of reddish...so wouldn't that make pink (also sort of reddish) more Peachy than Green...

<ducking>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts