Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a central PA waiting list for 4 weeks and to say the least I'm waiting with bells on. Being a redneck I would like to know the towing capacity ot this car. I know from this forum I can buy a hitch. BTW. I was told 14 weeks for an any-color #9.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The hitch is meant mainly to carry bikes, electric wheel chairs, in the case of Brian (the moderator) his Segway... From what I've seen others mention on here time and time again, and what I remember reading way back... Toyota does not recommend towing with your Prius.

I believe I also saw on here, though I don't remember if it was validated by anyone, that you should only TOW THE PRIUS in certain ways or it can effect something....

The second part I'm not exactly sure about, but the hitch you've heard so much about is to CARRY ites too large or awkward or bulky to take in the cargo area.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Toyota recommends that you do not tow anything with the Prius. I'd imagine you could probably tow a trailer that's lighter than a couple of passengers would be. But definitely no serious towing. This is a small, lightweight car, and like most small cars is not designed for towing.

·
Registered
928 Posts
bradca21 said:
I believe I also saw on here, though I don't remember if it was validated by anyone, that you should only TOW THE PRIUS in certain ways or it can effect something....
The Prius should only be towed with the front wheels off the ground. If it's an emergency, you can tow it a short distance with a tow rope, but you must go very slowly (I think they suggested not exceeding 30 MPH). Obviously, if you're towing with the front wheels on the ground, it must be in Neutral, which might require you to refer to the user guide if there's something wrong with the vehicles computers.

Note that there's no guarantee that something bad will happen if you don't follow these guidelines, just a small chance. The chance is larger if you're towing because something is broken. Also note that it's fine to "tow" it through an automatic car wash (in N) with the wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would not even tow something light with the prius. Even if you kept it to the weight of a few passengers, that would put stresses on the car, the frame and other components that the car was never designed to take. A couple hundred pounds in the passenger compartment is not the same as pulling it behind you up a grade.

That is a world of difference from two bikes.

IMHO
Spike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts