Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I understand that the handsfree protocol does the audio and the push protocol moves contacts to the address book but what protocol sends the signal strength from my phone to the Prius? The Prius wont allow me to dial (although hands free works fine and dialing from the phone works fine) because it says my phone has no signal (out of CDMA range). I am not talking about bluetooth signal strength but the cell phone signal strength.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
mcitron said:
OK I understand that the handsfree protocol does the audio and the push protocol moves contacts to the address book but what protocol sends the signal strength from my phone to the Prius? The Prius wont allow me to dial (although hands free works fine and dialing from the phone works fine) because it says my phone has no signal (out of CDMA range). I am not talking about bluetooth signal strength but the cell phone signal strength.

Any ideas?
From what I understand, it's the 'handsfree' protocol that does signal strength and dial-from-remote. Your phone might be connecting to the Prius in 'headset' protocol, though. I know I have a goofy phone that prefers to connect in the more restrictive 'headset' mode. (Think of 'headset' as a generic wired headset that plugs into the little micro-jack, as opposed to a custom phone-manufacturer-made handsfree kit that plugs into the data jack, of your phone.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hmmm.....

So, how does one "force" the Prius to connect in Hands-free mode, rather than headset mode? I think that may be the problem with my new Treo 650.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Once the Treo 650 "discovers" the Prius, it will then check to see what services are available from the Prius. It will then choose which profile is relevant based on what services it "sees" I am not sure you can force the Treo to "see" the Prius as a device with a handsfree profile rather than one with a headset profile.

Just for info, I have a Motorola HS820 BT headset, which has both handsfree and headset profiles. If I look at this device from my PC, I see two services available - "Motorola HS820 Headset" and "Motorola HS820 Serial Command". I guess that handsfree is the headset service plus a serial service over which commands and data can be sent.

Does the Treo 650 successfully negotiate handsfree with other suitable BT devices?

·
Registered
17 Posts
the bluetooth protocol for this is OPP (Object Push Protocol)

This protocol allows information on the phone (eg. phonebook entries, battery meter, signal strength) to be 'pushed' to the Prius.

I have the Moto V710 which lacks this protocol. For now, I cannot push my phonebook entries to the Prius. Hopefully this will be remedied in a future software update.

p.s. the bluetooth protocol for file exchange is OBEX (object exchange). This allows the phone to transfer files back an forth from your phone to another bluetooth enabled device.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mcitron said:

Any ideas?
That's odd, I have done a lot of bluetooth programming before, and I'm sure there isn't a BT profile for signal strength. I don't doubt you but the only signal indicator I've seen is for bluetooth and mine doesn't work with the Treo 650. Ususally if I lose a call my MFD screen just says something like "Call Terminated by Network"

Regards,
Bit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts