Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow it's been a long time since I've posted.

My Prius is making a strange noise when it's powered off. We've had it for almost a year now and it's always made a motory sound when you shut it off, but now it sounds almost like a mechanical owl or something.

Any ideas?

-Michael

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure. There is a background constant like zzzzzzz and cycling noise on top of it. The background noise has always been there. but the cycling noise hasn't.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I need checked out before our 2600 mile round trip for thanksgiving.

-Michael

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, about 5 minutes after shutdown, there's a hissing noise, which we figure is the brake valves releasing probably to do a purge, then the brake accumulator pump kicks in to replenish the brake fluid pressure. The latter sound occurs occasionally during driving, especially when you use the brakes.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I've heard a faint whistle which I suspect is the AC refrigerant settling. Could that be what you are hearing?
Something is whistling at you when you get out of the car? Check with the neighbor lady. :wink:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That could be it. By motory sound, that could have been the coolant storage pump that he always heard, and he just discovered the sound of the accumulator pump for the brakes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This noise happens directly upon shutdown, not 5 minutes later. And like I said it's always made a mechanical buzzing noise that we assumed was something that is supposed to happen.

But now on top of that there is a irregular high pitched squeak while the mechanical buzzing happens. It stops when the buzzing stops.

When this issue first started it was just on shutdown and now it appears to be doing it ocassionally on startup as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.