Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a happy Prius owner for just 4 weeks now (2650 miles, 46.1 mpg). Thanks to all on line, especially john1701a, for much valuable information helping me with my purchase.
I commute 100 miles/day, most of it with my wife who insists on keeping the headlights and foglights on at all times. I say this wastes fuel, she says this practice is proven to improve safety plus weight also uses fuel and if I would only lose a few pounds it would make up for keeping the lights on. Hmm ....
That brings up 2 questions: 1) How much do the lights actually change mpg? and 2) How much weight would I have to lose to make up the difference

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Well, some would argue your wife needs to lose the 190 lbs of ugly fat that's sitting next to her. ;) She'd save lots of gas.

I'm teasing!

·
Registered
457 Posts
1) How much do the lights actually change mpg?

>> Not much

2) How much weight would I have to lose to make up the difference

>> Very little

Bargain.. Leave headlights on. Turn off fog lamps.. Tell her it makes you feel better and you'll work on that diet :wink:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The HID headlights are 35 watts apiece, the fog lamps are 51 watts apiece. Typical halogen headlamps are 60/55 watts apiece.

Keep the HID headlights on if you like, but turn off the fogs and save 100 watts. By doing so, you'll be putting out more light than a typical halogen highbeam, yet using near half the energy. Use fog lamps and you are using more energy, yet not providing much more effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
At least turn off the foggers.

I second DanMan. I, for one, have yet to notice any appreciable difference between headlights alone, and headlights+fog lamps. In fact, I have to look very carefully to even tell the difference, even in fog. (Now, if I could turn JUST the fog lights on in fog, it would make a difference.) This seems to show how good the HIDs are, that they make fog lights redundant; as on a previous (non-HID) car, the fog lights made a large difference. Yet on the HID Prius, the main headlights seem to light up just as much (if not more) than the previous car's main+fog did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't worry about headlights wasting gas. Your driving habits have a much greater impact on mpg. Besides, if your headllights help prevent somebody hitting you, then you'll save the extra gas used by your rental vehicle.

The fog lights are worse in fog than the headlights. Don't use them.

As far as weight, An additional person drops my mileage. I'm guessing at maybe up to a mile per gallon.

·
Registered
669 Posts
firepa63 said:
anj48 said:
2) How much weight would I have to lose to make up the difference
The rule of thumb is 200lbs = 1 MPG
I was hoping you guys would add to my diet motivation, but I'd have to go negative to get a measurable effect! Oh well....

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I was hoping you guys would add to my diet motivation, but I'd have to go negative to get a measurable effect! Oh well....
Think of your health rather than your MPG! Is that motivation???

·
Registered
669 Posts
firepa63 said:
I hear having a sense of humor is also good for your health... :wink:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Astrowoman said:
firepa63 said:
I hear having a sense of humor is also good for your health... :wink:
A diet shouldn't be driven by numbers (weight, pant size), it should be driven by where you are comfortable with your weight - assuming that you are interested in dropping weight in the first place. Added stress over the last 10 pounds negates the health benefits of losing that 10.

Oh, um... how did the dead chicken cross the road?
It was stapled to a punk rockers forehead.

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts