Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured out the math (simple) to calculate trip MPG without having to reset the MFD MPG display. I just need the start and end average MPG and the start and end MPG odometer.

At first I thought I'd have to buy a PDA so I could use this in the car on trips but then I realized I could post the calculator to my website and access it from my cell phone.

So as long as its up there, I am making it available to everyone who wants to use it.
Find it at:
http://www.inspiredartistry.com/tripMPG

Its only as accurate as the values on the MFD which is truncated miles and MPG rounded to a tenth, so not too usefull for very short trips relative to the total miles on the tank.

(edited for spelling)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Due to the fact that the prius MFD only displays MPG to tenths and miles to the ones place, as you get more miles on the tank the computation of trip MPG is less acurate.

So this weekend I'll be adding a feature for Prius drivers where the computation will show the trip MPG plus the error bounds on the computation.

Also along the same lines, if a person keeps lifetime MPG on their MFD, once there are many miles on the car (and thus on the average MPG), normal size trips will not change the average much or at all so the error bounds will be huge, therefore the calculator is probably not useful in those cases.

But I've been using it on my current tank, which is up over 400 miles and small trips (say 15 miles) still give correct looking results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts