Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what a journey!!! After 2-3 bad dealership experiences, then finally waiting for 1.5 months, we received a seaside pearl vehicle with option #6. We also have light tan, leather seats installed!!! It's a beautiful car. I elected not to get any of the extended warranties, gap insurance, service plans, etc. and other offerings from the dealership, but they do try to scare the hell out of you in attempts to get you to buy all types of stuff.

My sales guy didn't give me any warning about the car coming so soon. In fact, he called after one month to let us know that the vehicle would probably arrive at the end of August. Two days later, he calls and says "I have your car". I had to scramble to get insurance and everything, but it was alright. I told them that I'd stop by on Friday to pick up the vehicle.

On Friday evening, my sales guy calls me, just before I'm leaving work to head to the dealership. He says he has bad news. He forgot to arrange for our car to be brought over to the dealership, from the shop, which was closed for the day. My fiance' was already about halfway there, on a bus with our infant, in the rain. I told him this and he offered to try something else. He called back and said that he would go over himself and pick up the car. I was relieved.

When we arrived at the dealership, we could see the light blue beauty parked right outside. It stopped raining and became wonderful outside. It was exciting. I noticed that the dealer had placed their logo sticker on the back of our vehicle, and had placed their own advertising plate brackets on, as well. It seems minor, but I was a little uncomfortable with that, for some reason.

I inquired about having the advertising removed, but the sales guy told me that no generic plate brackets came with the car. I'd heard different through various Prius forums. He also told me that I should have mentioned previously that I didn't want stickers and stuff put on my car. I told him that I had no idea they would put them on (especially without asking the purchaser). It would've been nice to have been asked, by the dealership, if I would mind advertising for them, rather than the dealer deciding for me. I removed the logo sticker earlier this morning. I have to look into the plate bracket situation.

Over all, it is a lovely thing. I used the 'rather intuitive' navigation system to find my way home, as well as to find a restaurant to eat at, later on. Now I have to read the manuals cover to cover.

One thing, is it customary to tip the sales person?????

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the family!

Most, if not all dealers will put their sticker and licence plate frame on each vehicle they sell. I don't mind since not having that makes it seem you got your car off some 2nd hand shop or as a used car somewhere.

Hmm, I've never tipped the salesman but if he did something good or out of his way, I might. Although with a Toyota dealer, I don't expect that to happen :p .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Car dealerships appear to be following the lead of many restaurants these days by including their own gratuity when they bring you the bill. In North Carolina where we bought our Prius, they call it a "Documentation Fee" but other dealers may prefer to call it something else.

Since we ended up paying below MSRP, perhaps we should have considered tipping our salesman. We certainly wouldn't want his family to starve trying to get by on his below-mimimum-wage Toyota waiter's salary!

·
Registered
669 Posts
The license plate frames are standard fare around here, but I replaced mine with my own "clever sayings" ones right away. The only annoying thing the dealership did during my first service was ask me 3 times if I didn't want them to put their frames on! Plain frames can be gotten at Target inexepensively....

·
Registered
68 Posts
how do you remove those dealer-badges? I really don't like those. I don't like advertising anywhere, in fact, i'm only barely tolerant of brand-logos like Toyota's crest...

·
Registered
393 Posts
My dealer had a KING TOYOTA sticker on it, that came off in the parking lot. I took it off right in front of the sales manager. I can't stand those stickers. Unless they want to pay me.

And the plate deal came off at the same time. Bah.

It's the same reason I tend to not wear 'logo' shirts...why should I advertise for free for someone else?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I told my dealer (through the salesman) that if they placed a dealer name on my car, I would charge them a $100/month advertising fee. (They had placed a decal on the car even though I had specified in the contract-No Dealer Decal!) The car went straight to their delivery prep area where the decal was removed. (I personally think dealer names on cars looks "tacky". While this was being accomplished, the salesman said "I guess you don't want the dealer license plate frame either." I didn't and he didn't waste his time installing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shadiness

When I mentioned to my sales guy that there should be plate frames that came with the car, he told me that there weren't any. I knew he was lying. Is it true that there should be plate frames that came with the car?? Also, there were plugs in the glove box, which my sales guy stated was a set of spares. I didn't believe him, but couldn't crawl under the car to verify. He stated that there was an installation done, but sounded quite unconvincing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, when I asked him what the tires psi were set at, he stated something like 28. I'm looking for a good, portable gauge, now. I think one of the other forums had one listed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did crawl under our car to verify that the plugs in the glovebox weren't "spares". We had the dealer install them for us along with the factory front license plate holder, which was also in the glovebox.

I can understand the front plate frame not already being installed because it isn't required in NC where we bought the car (but is required in VA where we live). However, I didn't buy the service manager's expanation on the plugs. He said they never install them because with the high humidity in that area, the chassis would trap moisture and corrode if the holes weren't left unplugged for drainage.

Has this been anyone else's experience?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't think the car comes with a plate FRAME, but it does come with a mount. It has a plate mount for the front that can optionally be installed.

According to the sticker on the door jamb, proper factory inflation is 33/35 front/back.

Oh, and those plugs aren't 'extras'. They are supposed to be installed, as per TSB pd016-03 page 19. It is marked for a 2004 Prius, but does apply to a 2005 as well. There has been recent discussion whether it indeed is better to have those plugs off to avoid trapping moisture, since they don't create a hermetic seal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Exactly right--it is a black plastic front bumper mount that comes with the car, not a frame. A plate can be attached to it directly using the top two holes, or it can be used to support a frame the same way.

Granted, press-in plugs will not hermetically seal the chassis, especially if there are small drip holes elsewhere in the tubular frame members like those normally placed in the bottom of each door. Still, I can't imagine that moisture would be a greater corrosion factor inside the chassis than it is inside doors or even exposed metal under the car and inside the engine compartment. I'd be more worried about corrosive ingredients in roadway puddles, especially when roads have been salted after snowfalls. Without the plugs it seems there would be much greater opportunity for this stuff to splash up into the chassis and slosh around before it has a chance to drain out. I guess I just don't like the idea of our new Prius gargling with road sludge.

If it turns out that it really makes a difference whether plugs are installed or not, I guess we'll all know in a few years (or whenever the corrosion warranty expires).

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
DanMan32 said:
According to the sticker on the door jamb, proper factory inflation is 33/35 front/back.
Dan, I think you have the pressures backwards. The higher tire pressure is in the front (35 front / 33 rear).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wait a cotton picking minute. Plugs, I got. WHERE they go, I don't know.

So, can anyone tell me where the plugs go? Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get down on the ground just in front of each rear wheel. When you look underneath, you'll see holes that match the same dimensions as the plug. They will snap right in. If I remember correctly, the plastic bag the plugs come in also has a graphic on it describing the install location. If you've been driving around for awhile without them, bring a rag with you to clean any dirt/mud/sand around the openings to achieve a good seal.

·
Registered
393 Posts
CWeider said:
Get down on the ground just in front of each rear wheel. When you look underneath, you'll see holes that match the same dimensions as the plug. They will snap right in. If I remember correctly, the plastic bag the plugs come in also has a graphic on it describing the install location. If you've been driving around for awhile without them, bring a rag with you to clean any dirt/mud/sand around the openings to achieve a good seal.
Thanks man! Now I have to find those plugs. What do they do, really, if I don't find them?

EDIT: Found them.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
firepa63 said:
DanMan32 said:
Dan, I think you have the pressures backwards. The higher tire pressure is in the front (35 front / 33 rear).
I knew that, was just checking if anyone is paying attention. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts