Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum for the word "waypoint" and came up empty. Sorry if this has already been broached...

I have been using my Garmin V unit ever since they came out (7 years?) and have literally hundreds of waypoints stored on it. Does anyone know if there's a way to transfer from the Garmin protocol to whatever it is on the Prius Nav? Does anyone know who the mfg is for the Nav system?

There's GOT to be a way! (He says with panic in his touchscreen-tired fingers.)

Thanks in advance.

David

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm not aware of any data path to the Nav other than direct screen entry. I believe the Bluetooth data path is for telephone information only.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeez, that was fast. 4 minutes with an answer!

I was thinking about the CD/DVD. That's how new data is input every October (so I'm told) if you shell out $200 for the newest data from "Toyota." The trick would be to find the right protocol including data formatting. The person I spoke with at Toyota said they don't let people know who the GPS software was built by.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each system has its own name. Garmin calls the points one wants it to remember, destinations or points along a route, waypoints. Anyway, I've got about 425 of those things that I would like to transfer.

BUT, I just read in the manual that this great, expensive $2,000 option allows a whopping 160 of them. Not too impressive. If they ask me, I'll vote for an upgrade on that. And a way to talk to other devices.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Date of Last Update

lindavid said:
That's how new data is input every October (so I'm told) if you shell out $200 for the newest data from "Toyota."
Is there definitely a new DVD every year? Does anyone know exactly when the data on the current version (4.2) was compiled? I'm not too worried about new roads, but it would be nice to get all the new stores and restaurants.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, I am still waiting for 4.3 so I can get my free update to the latest, but Toyota may be holding out until us holdouts claim our updates, or the free update period expires in December.
I believe updates normally come out in October. The 2005 had 2 or 3 versions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts