Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got Sparky 6 months ago. The window sticker states that the warranty "covers traction battery/ specific hybrid components 8 years/ 100,000 miles". However, the Owner's warranty information book is a generic Toyota book and does not mention the hybrid system. I have asked the dealer for a Prius specific warranty book, but am told they have not heard of one. Does anyone have a Prius warranty book that specifies the warranty on the hybrid system and batteries? DOD

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Per http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/prius/faq.html,

17. What is the warranty for Prius?

Toyota has extreme faith in our hybrid technology, so Prius comes standard with the following coverage:

Basic: 36 months/36,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items).

Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner’s Warranty Information booklet for details.

Powertrain: 60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and airbags).

Rust-Through: 60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal).

Emissions: Coverages vary under Federal and California regulations. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.

Accessories: For accessories purchased at the time of the new vehicle purchase, the Toyota Accessory Warranty coverage is in effect for 36 months/36,000 miles from the vehicle’s in-service date, which is the same coverage as the Toyota New Vehicle Limited Warranty. For accessories purchased after the new vehicle purchase the coverage is 12 months, regardless of mileage, from the date the accessory was installed on the vehicle, or the remainder of any applicable new vehicle warranty, whichever provides greater coverage, with the exception of car covers. Car covers are warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase and do not assume any coverage under the Toyota New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

You may be eligible for transportation assistance if it’s necessary that your vehicle be kept overnight for repairs covered under warranty. Please see your authorized Toyota dealership for further details.

For complete details about Toyota’s warranties, please visit http://www.toyota.com, refer to the applicable Owner’s Warranty Information booklet or see your Toyota dealer.

Prius customers are covered by roadside assistance and road hazard insurance for 36 months/36,000 miles from the vehicle’s in-service date. Examples of this service include flat tire, vehicle lockout and jumpstart. See your Toyota dealer for details.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
However a dispute has just emerged about total failure of the power transfer unit. A Toyota Prius Rep in Salt Lake city posted that Toyota does not warrant this unit and "suits" are now involved by up to seven owners. Waiting to hear of any conclusion. The PTU is not even mentioned in black or blue in my extended warranty booklet. The bill I believe comes to nine grand.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Powertrain: 60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and airbags).

PSD is part of the 'transmission'. The dispute in suit is more on a pattern of premature failure. You shouldn't have hundreds of cars having gear problems just over 60K. Should last life of car. The other item is the repairability of the assembly. One should not have to replace an entire transmission, including electric motors, over a few gears. Gears should be available as a replacement part.
I'm actually suprised the silent chain isn't a weak point.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
The posts read as if the PTU was not condidered under the transmission for warranty. That's what Salt lake city Toyota is waiting for. Clarification. If the PTU is part of the transmission then my extended warranty covers it for seven years and 100,000 miles. However my booklet breaks down just about every moving part in the Prius and no where does it list the PTU. It individually lists about everything else including the transaxles, but no "chain" and no PTU. I've taken it for granted under the sentence "Transfer case componants" (all internally lubricated componants) until reading the posts about the total failure problem that has just popped up. It's been over three weeks and I would have expexted some clarification by now, especially on the quoted price, that there are seven failures and the mention of going to court. I know the service manual stipulates the unit can be rebuilt but my dealer tells me that if I have any "major" problem with any componant in the synergy system the whole unit including "ICE" will be removed, replaced and the faulty unit returned to Japan. It is less than a one day job. And the dispute in the suit is over $9,000.00

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just wondering: do the electric motors come under the Hybrid component warranty or the powertrain one or the one including brakes?

To say they aren't hybrid leads one to ask the value of a big battery with no motors to drive, but doesn't let Toyota off the hook if they go bad 'early', which Toyota might prefer...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
warranty

DanMan checked out the website you sent. In item 17, it says "refer to the applicable owners warranty information book". Thats what I'm looking for and my dealer says they can't find- a Prius specific owners warranty book. DOD

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
2004 Toyota Prius Owner's Warranty Information booklet (PN 00505-T2004-PRIUS). Yes, it lists the Prius-specific warranties (like the PZEV CA emissions warranty, and the hybrid system warranty...)

I imagine that there's a similar part number for 2005.

Also note that there's a Prius-specific maintenance manual, and make sure you didn't get the generic to all Toyotas maintenance guide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts