Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some dumb questions about the warranty.

First, to get my '04 Prius, I had to buy from a dealer a great distance from me. Can I get my scheduled checkups at any Toyota dealer? If so, can anyone recommend a good one in the LA area?

Can I get an oil change anywhere without voiding the warranty? If so, do I need to keep documentation of the oil change to prove that I haven't voided the warranty? How strict are they about this? I'm fairly sure I heard that Toyota used to cover oil changes for the first generation prius, but not the '04's.

Do the oil changes and checkups need to be schedules before the designated mileage or is anytime around that mileage ok?

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is your forum handle "evil_attorney" related in any way to actual profession. That is, are you an attorney?

And, to at least address a question or two in your posts, there is no factory complimentary maintenance program on the 2004 Prius. The 2001-2003 had a complimentary maintenance program. For warranty service, you can get your general maintenance done anywhere or perform it yourself. It is prudent to keep receipts and any other record/journal indicating when and what was done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just PLEASE use 5w30 oil and 3.9 qt's!
No it won't void your warranty, but reciepts are always good.
I would recommend a Toyo dealer as they will use an OEM filter, the correct viscosity and amount of oil, will generally give your vehicle a thorough once-over, and will run your VIN for any needed recalls. (at least they should). The quicky-lube place won't!

·
Registered
623 Posts
toyomantrains said:
I would recommend a Toyo dealer as they will use an OEM filter, the correct viscosity and amount of oil, will generally give your vehicle a thorough once-over, and will run your VIN for any needed recalls. (at least they should). The quicky-lube place won't!
Reports of dealers over-filling the oil are plentiful. Mine filled to 1/4 inch over the full mark. I have no idea if that would actually cause any problem. Maybe the real over-full is higher than the mark. But I went back and they drained the excess with a smile.

One person reported going to the dealer and a couple of weeks later the warning lights came on and the oil was below the dipstick! And no signs of leakage.

It would appear that dealers, like your mileage, may vary. Regardless of who changes your oil, check it. (Applies to any car.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Daniel said:
It would appear that dealers, like your mileage, may vary. Regardless of who changes your oil, check it. (Applies to any car.)
I'll second that motion; especially after the mpg increase I got after draining my own excess. :p

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Daniel said:
toyomantrains said:
Reports of dealers over-filling the oil are plentiful. Mine filled to 1/4 inch over the full mark. I have no idea if that would actually cause any problem. Maybe the real over-full is higher than the mark. But I went back and they drained the excess with a smile.

One person reported going to the dealer and a couple of weeks later the warning lights came on and the oil was below the dipstick! And no signs of leakage.

As are reports of dealers not even carrying 5w30 oil, and charging extra for it... My mother went through 3 different dealers before she found one that used 5w30 standard on the Prius, and didn't argue with her claiming that they were supposed to use 10w30!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts