Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago on here I asked about the warranty on the batteries in California because a dealer told me it was 10 years 150,000 miles. Somebody came on and confirmed this was accurate.....it is not accurate according to Toyota of North America....it is 96 months 100,000 miles on the batteries. I actually stopped looking for a car out of state because of the erroneous information. I am pretty convinced some of these salesman in these dealerships will say anything to sell a car......one guy was told by a salesman he could drive in the car pool lane alone immediately and started doing that until he found differently.
Buyer beware.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right after I posted my last message I got a call from a dealer I was talking with and he said it was 10 years 150,000 miles for California and he had also checked with the same source as me. So I called them back and had them check again and they stated it was on the 04 and 05 Prius 10 years 150,000 miles in California. So I guess this debate is dead on arrival. At least I have clarification from the horses mouth! Or until I hear otherwise!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, not to beat a dead horse, but the reason you get conflicting info is that it is 8 years / 100,000 miles by the terms of Toyota's warranty. However, as those warranties often state, "You may have additional rights in certain states." And, in particular, in California and states that have adopted California's emission standards (which includes here in NY State), the additional rights is that the emissions equipment must be covered for 10 years / 150,000 miles and the hybrid batteries are considered to be part of the emissions equipment. (Apparently, this extended warranty is part of what is required to receive the "AT-PZEV" emission rating.)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
see http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/prius/faq.html, Question 17:
"Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Prius' hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details."

As taken from the 2004 Toyota Prius Owner's Warranty Information booklet (PN 00505-T2004-PRIUS) page 6, "Warranty Coverages at a Glance" there is a bar graph identifying the various warranties (from my 7/03 printing):
New Vehicle Limited Warranty:

"Basic: 36 months / 36,000 miles
Hybrid Vehicle System: 96 months / 100,000 miles
Powertrain: 60 months / 60,000 miles
Corrosion Perforation: 60 months / unlimited miles
Restraint Systems: 60 months / 60,000 miles

Emission Control Warranty:

Federal, Performance: 24 months / 24,000 miles
Federal, Performance Specific Components: 96 months / 80,000 miles
Federal, Defect: 36 months / 36,000 miles
Federal, Defect Specific Components: 96 months / 80,000 miles
California (t), Performance: 180 months / 150,000 miles
California (t), Defect: 180 months, 150,000 miles
California (t), Hybrid Battery Pack: 120 months / 150,000 miles

(t) = Also applies to Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont vehicles equipped with a California Certified Emission Control System. Vehicles covered by this warranty are also covered by the Federal Emission Control Warranty."

So, federally, it's 8 years/100,000 miles on the hybrid battery in the US, unless you have a 2004+ Prius and live in a CA emissions state, where it's 10 years/150,000 miles under the emissions warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts