Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RATS!!! I just powered up my Prius and was confronted with all kinds of warning lights and alert sounds before I was out of my driveway. The red triangle with exclamation point is illuminated, along with a check engine error, etc. Also noticed that the battery fan adjacent to the back seat was moving air like there's no tomorrow--I've never even heard the thing whisper before. Drove the car about 40 miles today with no trouble. Too late to call a dealer tonight, so I'll wait until the morning.
Sleeping sadly,
Moo :-(

Addendum: Just went out to make sure I'm not halucinating. Unfortunatley I'm not, but the warnings have changed. Red triangle and check engine are no longer illuminated. Now I'm only seeing the round circle that looks kind of like this (O), with an exlamation point in the middle of the circle. Manual says this symbol is brake related. Fan in the backseat is still working overtime.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your Prius is just having an emotional crisis

It appears you got one of the high strung, emotional Prius models.

Individual cars are like women. Some are steady and easy to live with, reliable and low maintenance. They are often underappreciated by the guys lucky enough to live with them.

Others are flamboyant, with a complex inner life, which can be exhilarating, but high maintenance. See Cheryl Crow's verse "Are you strong enough to be my man?"

You may have a manic/depressive Prius, of course. Driving by wire is very complicated, and the Prius computer has to work very hard and fast to do it. So there is always the possibility of emotional breakdowns from time to time.

You might call Dr. Laura, and see what she has to say about it (her Caddie might have had similar problems in the past, before she got the big Merc)

Good luck. It's obvious you love your Prius dearly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Your Prius is just having an emotional crisis

Ever see the good Dr's pictures?

You might call Dr. Laura, and see what she has to say about it (her Caddie might have had similar problems in the past, before she got the big Merc)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had this same problem with my Prius three times now. It's not a joke like the other posters think. I brought it to the dealer the first two times and they said there was nothing wrong and reset the check engine light. The last time the lights went out on the way to the dealer. Each time I hear the battery fan. Hopr this helps. At least we are not alone.

·
Registered
515 Posts
This sounds like it could be possibly be related to SSC-40A.

Have you checked into that? It's a ECU update for the first of the 2004 models delivered, where the detection & handling of a particular system error was improved.

By amazing coincidence, I just had my Prius in yesterday to have that update applied. (And no, I didn't encounter the error prior to that.)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
john1701a said:
This sounds like it could be possibly be related to SSC-40A.

Have you checked into that? It's a ECU update for the first of the 2004 models delivered, where the detection & handling of a particular system error was improved.

By amazing coincidence, I just had my Prius in yesterday to have that update applied. (And no, I didn't encounter the error prior to that.)
Thanks to all who have replied. I'm maintaining a sense of humor--for now.

John, Thanks for the specific reference number. I'll pass that along to the service manager. How does someone like myself, a non-celebrity Prius owner, stay abreast of these service updates?
Not driving, but determined to stay happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
So when my car comes (maybe Wednesday; it didn't come today), should I ask about this SSC-40A? Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
john1701a said:
Only the oldest 2004 Prius don't have the update already.

Owners that needed it still were sent notification.
Well, I've not received any notification, but I'll still mention it to the service manager. I have to say everyone at the dealership has been incredibly cooperative and supportive. They didn't balk at hiring a flatbed instead of a simple tow truck to transport the car and stayed open late so I could pick up their loaner. Of course that will be cold comfort if they can't fix my Prius. I remain optimistic as the technicians were quite enthusiastic when I first bought the car. I also took it as a good sign when the oil level and tire pressures were filled for optimum mileage after my initial servicing. That's why I called this particular dealer yesterday, even thogh there are several others much closer to home. Here's hoping it's a simple repair.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FOLLOW UP:
Prius friends,
I heard from my service manager yesterday afternoon. He told me that they pulled all the data out of my car and, after failing to find anything wrong, they sent the information to a Toyota facility in California. That group reported back that the warnings I received are false reads resulting from a "known glitch in the software/hardware interface." They say they have a group working on a fix and that I'll be notified as soon as it is ready. All fairly standard speak for, "We aren't sure what's wrong, but we think it's okay for you to drive your car." When I pick up my car today I'll be sure to get their assurances and instructions in writing.
As I said before, the service team has been very friendly and supportive. In fact, the technician who worked on my car asked where I got my hitch reciever bracket. It seems his parents have an '04 and he's looking to set them up with a bike rack. I steered him towards coastaletech. While I'm disappointed that they don't have a concrete fix for me right now, I do feel as though I'm being treated repsectfully. Hopefully they'll have their "fix" ready before I see the warning lights again.
As soon as I get the actual paperwork from them I'll pass along any codes, etc. that appear on the invoice.
Drive happy,

P.S. They checked on SSA-40A and told me it was not appilcable to my car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FINAL REPORT(?):
Prius friends,
Got my car back this afternoon. Everything is now as it was before, which means the car is running perfectly fine. Description on the service invoice reads, "Code P3000 -- battery control circuit malfunction." As described before, I've been told that Toyota is aware of this problem and is working on a fix.
They gave me a copy of the information which was downloaded from my car. This consists of four separate blocks of data showing various readings. Within these I can see the P3000 reference as well as a P3030 code. Don't know what it all means, but thought I'd share it anyways.
Drive happy,

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Glad you got your car back, and all seems well. But the question that hasn't been answered (or maybe you did get an answer) is: Did they do anything to fix or attempt to fix the root cause, or are they still researching?

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BIF said:
Glad you got your car back, and all seems well. But the question that hasn't been answered (or maybe you did get an answer) is: Did they do anything to fix or attempt to fix the root cause, or are they still researching?
BIF,
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The warnings I received were, apparently, a false alarm. No, they did not try to fix the root cause because there was nothing that they were capable of fixing. However, they told me that a solution to the root cause of these false warnings is currently being researched. Hope that answers your questions.
Drive happy,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I posted my problem on another forum priuschat.com and someone there referred me to this forum/posting. Rather than repeating my sad story, I'll just cut and paste my two postings from the other forum. I received one advice of disconnecting and connecting 12V battery which someone in that forum used in a similar circumastance.

---------------------------------
My posting on Wed, 4/26, night

Bought a Prius two weeks ago. Three days ago it showed engine check light, so took it to the dealer. Service dept diagnosed it as an engine coolant sensor failure (he said it was a sensor that senses when the temperature is very low and takes some action.) and he has ordered the part which will take one week to receive. He rebooted the computer in the car to get rid of the light and and said that the car is driveable and to ignore the engine check light if it ever came back on again. The failed sensor would not affect any other systems. BTW, it has been hot last few days.

Yesterday, the gas engine just stopped while driving. The brake, engine check and a red triangle came on and display said "problem". Luckily I was near home and the car drove on the battery power but drained pretty fast to empty by the time I got home, around 1/2 mile. I turned the car off and on and the gas engine was dead, and the same warning lights came on.

Called the dealer today, had the car towed in. This morning at home, the gas engine was dead and it still flashed the same warning lights when I backed off and loaded the car on the tow on battery power. However, when I got to the dealer and unloaded the car and turned it on to drive a
few feet, the gas engine was now working with only engine check warning light on. I turned the engine off/on once more and now there were no warning lights at all.

Have left it at the dealer's for tests and the replacement of the sensor when it comes in.

Any similar experience ? Any advice ?
--------------------------------------------------------
My update today

Thanks for all the help and tips.

The vin is much newer than the ones mentioned below that needed the ECU update.

The service manager said that they ran dignostics and talked to Toyota. He said that the ECU did show a failure code (indicating that the engine had indeed failed) but don't understand how the ECU got there and are calling it a software glitch. A toyota engineer is promised to fly out here if it happens again. BTW, I didn't ask/get the failure code number or didn't get that toyota is working on this; both of which have been mentioned in a related message.

I have driven for two days so far (~ 100 miles) w/o any warning lights. Keeping my fingers crossed and will try the 12V battery disconnect tip.

thx.
----------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't be caught like Dave in "2001", going out side the ship without a helmet and trying to get back in.....Your Prius' computer may, like the HAL 9000, be experiencing a total confidence in the mission, but a perverted sense of where you fit into the picture.
We are faced with a new dilemma here: we own cars that are as smart as some of us, and smarter than others of us. Not saying where I think I fit in that spectrum. The panopoly of lights you reported could mean anything; like looking at the side of an Egyptian tomb. Who knows what your car is thinking?
Really dumb people will laugh at you when you wonder aloud what your car is thinking.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
evgnat said:
I posted my problem on another forum priuschat.com and someone there referred me to this forum/posting. Rather than repeating my sad story, I'll just cut and paste my two postings from the other forum. I received one advice of disconnecting and connecting 12V battery which someone in that forum used in a similar circumastance.

---------------------------------
My posting on Wed, 4/26, night

Bought a Prius two weeks ago. Three days ago it showed engine check light, so took it to the dealer. Service dept diagnosed it as an engine coolant sensor failure (he said it was a sensor that senses when the temperature is very low and takes some action.) and he has ordered the part which will take one week to receive. He rebooted the computer in the car to get rid of the light and and said that the car is driveable and to ignore the engine check light if it ever came back on again. The failed sensor would not affect any other systems. BTW, it has been hot last few days.

Yesterday, the gas engine just stopped while driving. The brake, engine check and a red triangle came on and display said "problem". Luckily I was near home and the car drove on the battery power but drained pretty fast to empty by the time I got home, around 1/2 mile. I turned the car off and on and the gas engine was dead, and the same warning lights came on.

Called the dealer today, had the car towed in. This morning at home, the gas engine was dead and it still flashed the same warning lights when I backed off and loaded the car on the tow on battery power. However, when I got to the dealer and unloaded the car and turned it on to drive a
few feet, the gas engine was now working with only engine check warning light on. I turned the engine off/on once more and now there were no warning lights at all.

Have left it at the dealer's for tests and the replacement of the sensor when it comes in.

Any similar experience ? Any advice ?
--------------------------------------------------------
My update today

Thanks for all the help and tips.

The vin is much newer than the ones mentioned below that needed the ECU update.

The service manager said that they ran dignostics and talked to Toyota. He said that the ECU did show a failure code (indicating that the engine had indeed failed) but don't understand how the ECU got there and are calling it a software glitch. A toyota engineer is promised to fly out here if it happens again. BTW, I didn't ask/get the failure code number or didn't get that toyota is working on this; both of which have been mentioned in a related message.

I have driven for two days so far (~ 100 miles) w/o any warning lights. Keeping my fingers crossed and will try the 12V battery disconnect tip.

thx.
----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just wondering if you have tried the 12V disconnect and, if so, curious about the results. My warning lights came on again Sunday night. As instructed by my dealer I powered down the car, waited a few minutes, and rebooted. All was well. I called the service manager and reported the incident (just to cover my a**) and I've driven another 70 miles or so since without any problem. Weird. Both times this has happened it has been unseaonably warm--not Africa hot, but warm enough to make me think heat might be a factor here.
Drive happy,

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: I've just received a call from the service manager at the dealership which addressed the problems I described earlier in this thread. I'm told that Toyota has "prepared a fix" and I am schedlued to take my car in next week. I will report back once the service has been completed.
Drive happy,

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Prius friends,
Thought I'd follow-up with a description of the end game to my warning light experience. As reported last week, my Toyota service manager called to tell me they had received instruction on how to fix my problem. Coincidentally, a day or two later I received a mailing from Toyota alerting me to Special Service Campaign Program SSC 40D, which reads, "On certain 2004 Model Year Toyota Prius vehicles, the Hybrid Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (HV ECU) and Battery Electronic Control Unit (Battery ECU) may not confrom to some portions of the diagnostic tool communication standard due to a programming error."
I took my car in yesterday and they updated my software. It took about an hour and, so far, the car is running fine.
Drive happy,

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too am having this same problem. My check engine light has come on five times. The first two times I took it to the dealer and they just reset the light because they couldn't find a problem. I am now logging the problems and calling the dealer each time. I wonder how many other owners are having this problem.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts