Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am just warning you all of the potental problem that a mouse can move into your prius.
First let me give you some back ground, My daughter had a 1998 hyundai elantra. One day she complained that the car stinks when she turns on the heater. To make a long story short a mouse found it's way into the air intake for the heater and made a nest in the squrrel cage fan. When she turned on the heater the mouse got the ride of his life(so to speak). I ended up taking the dash board apart and the heater completely apart to get the smelly dead mouse out! I also found where the mouse found a way in and blocked it off(my mother didn't raise no fool!)
So now having been burned like that I tend to look for the mouse entrance in cars. and checking my new 2005 pkg#5 prius I found a grand mouse hotel entrance. the opening is near the hood hinge on the left as you are facing the motor. Also on the left side you will see a small acess door that you can remove with your fingers. If you look inside after removing the acess door (it says" FRAME NO") you will see that the air intake for the heater has no screen on it. That is the "MOUSE HOTEL". That is a real nice spot to build a nest. and if a mouse does move in ... I doubt that it is covered by the toyota warrany.
I modified my prius and took pictures but I am not sure how to post them. I will try do it below.

I have more pictures but I think I am only allowed to attach 3 attachments.

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Funny? I'd like to know what the critters are eating. Please don't tell me that the Prius wires make good food or that Mama leaves the hotel to bring food into the car! This story seems a bit cheesy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have had a horrible time this year with mice in our 2000 Sienna. Been to the dealer twice for disassembly and detailing. Now another mouse is in there. I guess I'll have to take a day off and watch the dealer disassemble it, stop them at the right moment, and install some screen.

We asked them to install some kind of screen last time, but it appears that if they do not have a Toyota part number for it, they will not do it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Rodents will gnaw things just to keep their ever-growing incisors (front teeth) trimmed to the right length. I had to replace the wiring harness in my Mazda after it was chewed up by a rabbit while I was on vacation.

Make sure the screen or mesh is fine enough. Mice can squeeze through a 1/4 inch hole.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This thread is scaring me. I'm going to be leaving Phoebe in an open barn at the end of this month while I make a 10 day trip to New York state. There will be nothing between her and the rodent population. Yikes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
> How much did it cost for toyota to evict the mice each time ?

I think it was 4 hours of labor, and they did a full interior detail (this is a Sienna mini van). I think it came out to around $180

The Sienna is our "kid mobile" so there was food ion the car the first time they came in (grahm crackers, stray cheetos etc), but after that we were very careful to keep all the food out. They still came in. Uggh.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You've hit on my question. Why do mice not invade every car? We're full of mice in our area--we've saved several over the years in live traps (the glue traps are painfully effective and we don't like them)-- but that's in the kitchen, garage, or pantry. Do you people with car mice have food in your car? If so, my husband's car will make a fabulous hotel. I now might have ammunition to get on his case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mice probably like the car's heat. They moved into my central air conditioner and ate enough wiring to short out the unit.

I worry about when they will find my Prius.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
evander said:
You've hit on my question. Why do mice not invade every car? .
Believe it or not some cars are completely closed to the little creatures with the proper screening. Like I posted above my daughters 1998 hyundai elantra was open to the mice but the 2001 hyundai elantra was completely closed off to them and I didn't have to modify the car.
Frankly I am very shocked and disapointed that toyota dosen't address this problem. I always thought toyota built a quality car but now I am having second thoughts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With a handle like mine, I HAD TO step in and leave a mark, although I never had a personal experience on this problem....

I apologize for all my children who might have caused any inconvenience to any of you :cry:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I live in the middle of a hay field and field rats are the problem, had one car with the wiring harness eaten had my toy PU in 2 days of not driving it had a family build a nest on the manifold, dog went nuts tring to get to the rats before I opened the hood to see the problem :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
One piece of screen where you put it is insufficient --
that intake plenum runs all the way across under the
bottom of the windshield, and has even larger holes
over on the drivers' side. You'd have to screen off everything,
or install the screen farther in where the actual entrance duct into
the A/C block is [which is behind all that spot-welded outer
metal, and thus probably nigh impossible to get to].
The quick fix, as noted on prius_technical_stuff, is to leave the system
in "recirculate" when the car is off which blocks the outside
air entry with a flap. The mice would be able to get in
that far, and possibly nest, but you could check for this by pulling the A/C
filter and then going back to "fresh air" and making sure
they don't fall down into the fan.
I also installed a piece of mesh over the incoming opening
to the engine air box a while ago, having had the
same problem in other cars and anticipating that even
though the prius arrives home with the engine already cooling down
unlike regular cars, it's still warm enough to be a cozy
place for critters. Bits of acorns and stuff in the bottom
of the air box is a sure indication...
_H*

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hobbit said:
One piece of screen where you put it is insufficient --
that intake plenum runs all the way across under the
bottom of the windshield, and has even larger holes
over on the drivers' side. _H*
Thanks for the info , when I get a chance I will check it out and post more pictures here. If I need to add more screen I WILL !!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here's a pic of the whole wiper cowl removed, showing
the whole plenum and a host of goodies back behind the
engine where you can't normally see them. Note the large
rectangular holes into it; the space runs all the
way across the car and down behind each front
quarter panel too [that's how rain off the windshield drains out].
http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/pix/prius-naked-02.jpg
I've also got the inverter open with a clear cover over it; this is
for the demo at Altwheels this weekend. It'll be very
cool for people to actually be able to SEE stuff around the
Prius engine, which is normally rather difficult.
[ http://www.altwheels.org/ for you boston-local folks]
_H*

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hobbit said:
Here's a pic of the whole wiper cowl removed, showing
the whole plenum and a host of goodies back behind the
engine where you can't normally see them. Note the large
rectangular holes into it; the space runs all the
way across the car and down behind each front
quarter panel too _H*
Hobbit,
First.... Is this a picture of a 02 ? would a 04-05 be different?
I took your picture (see below) and added a red arrow. This is where I put the screen, it is the fresh air intake. This is where you don't want the mice to get in.
Are you saying that where I put yellow arrows is also the air intake?
It is hard to see if the yellow arrow spots are open to the fresh air intake.

Thanks
Don

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts