Toyota Prius Forum banner

WARNING on opening gas cap Lid!

4K views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
I too, went to get gas and outside lid would not release. Took Key out of ignition, and still did not release. Put Emergency brake on and still did not release. Gas line behind me was getting a little impatient, so I slammed the right rear passenger door and that did the trick!
I have since took advise from John1701a and it worked great. Sprayed a little WD40 on the hinge. No need to replace any springs or parts as some others have suggested!

regards,
Don Good, Ephrata PA

G
#2 ·
The first time this happened to me, I had my son open it while I held up the lever. The second time, I was alone, so I shoved a plasticized card (my driver's license, I think) into the door. This provided enough force to pop the door open when I lifted the lever.

I was going to pick up the spring this afternoon, but I'm willing to try some WD40 first.

[%sig%]

G
#3 ·
I read about the weak spring in the gas door last year and took John1701a 's advice and immediately found a little coil spring which I simply threaded into one of the convenient little holes in the door. I never had any problem since then. (I found the spring laying around in one of my many little junk storage piles around the house..).

[%sig%]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.