Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my new Tideland has a difficult time going straight. I am constantly having to make minor steering corrections to keep it centered. It does not pull to one side, rather seems to want to go back and forth. It seems to me there is no center position in the steering :?: .

This was much worse with the original GoodYear tires, which have been replaced with a much better feel, but not perfect. Tire pressure is at recommended setting. Any other such experiences, and fix?

:? Thanks for any help,
Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
P6NaDon said:
I have noticed that my new Tideland has a difficult time going straight. I am constantly having to make minor steering corrections to keep it centered. It does not pull to one side, rather seems to want to go back and forth. It seems to me there is no center position in the steering :?: .

This was much worse with the original GoodYear tires, which have been replaced with a much better feel, but not perfect. Tire pressure is at recommended setting. Any other such experiences, and fix?

:? Thanks for any help,
Don
I found it gets less as you put a few miles on the tires. Maybe I have adapted to it (it has been discussed on this forum at great length) as I find I routinely use both hands on the wheel almost all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
I think some Prii just have an alternative lifestyle, and "straight" isn't what they do best. We love them for their other qualities, and accept that they aren't like the others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Our pri just rolled over 2100 miles. I can drive it one handed and it goes pretty straight, even down the freeway. Hep had a good point about putting some miles on the tires and getting a better ride.

We plan on using the OEM tires for about 30K miles, if that, then upgrading. I imagine it will be a little rough for a while while the new tires wear in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hep (and Sanny and galaxee). I feel better now knowing I am not alone! We (yes I let my wife drive it occasionally as it is HER car) do love it, and this is a minor annoyance compared to all of it's attributes.

I could not locate this topic in previous threads - only tire wear and traction problems with original GoodYears. Apparently, there is no solution, such as adjusting tire pressures, alignment settings, etc. that anyone came up with :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,285 Posts
There have been many threads about wandering at freeway speeds. Mine was improved, though not eliminated, with an alignment in which they were careful to get it even side to side, and to have a slight toe-IN at the front (even though the spec allows zero toe). Another reported improvement by moving the little front air dams forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
I guess I'll settle for an equal-opportunity 'wander' rather than a 'pull' to one side, if we're talking about something that can't be corrected.

Wandering seems closer to proper operation...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Most passenger cars are built with huge understeer. You have to work to make them turn. A good handling car is neutral. The prius is neutral.
Takes some getting used to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,285 Posts
Understeer or oversteer do not affect behavior when driving in a straight line; it refers to the relative slippage of front and rear wheels when cornering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, after searching better, I found at least one old thread on this subject. It was started by Mike N. , dated 10/13/04, and the subject is "Poor stability and handling at highway speeds." His subject captures precisely the sensation I call "wander".

After reading pages and pages of responses there, I am convinced that there are two distinct Prius versions - those without steering/wandering problems (vast majority), and those with the problem that I and a minority of others have (feel fortunate if you are not here)!

I have yet to see a fix for the problem, but will search more as I have time :(

Thanks to all that have responded.
Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hlreed said:
Most passenger cars are built with huge understeer. You have to work to make them turn. A good handling car is neutral. The prius is neutral.
Takes some getting used to.
Well, I think I know a little about "good handling cars" as I also drive a 96 Vette. While I agree with you that the Prius is a good handling car, I seriously doubt if it could even out-handle my ancient 1992 Camry even if it were normal. I certainly would not describe the Prius as "neutral".

Astrowoman - if you can do that at highway speeds, I am convinced you have a normal Prius, as most others do. I hope I can accomplish the same soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Mine must be anomalous. I can take my hands of the wheel and it goes straight!
Actually, mine does, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
Steering stability in a straight line is mostly a function of toe-in. More toe-in makes the steering wheel straighten out by itself and hold a straight line. Unfortunately, it also causes scrubbing, faster tire wear, and lower fuel mileage. Most cars do not allow zero toe-in, because it causes a car to ride grooves in the pavement like a train on tracks.

To improve fuel economy, Toyota has chosen to align the wheels as close to neutral as possible. Specifying a little toe-in will improve handling, but mpg's will suffer. It's a trade-off, depending on how important fuel economy is to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Phoenix. My guess is that I have toe out, or some other problem. After reading the numerous posts in the earlier thread, most Prius owners do not have the steering problems I (and a few others do). I refuse to believe my car is normal when I have to fight to keep it between the lines on a non windy day.

Also, since most of my driving is at highway speed, it is more of a problem than for those Prius owners who are city dwellers and drive at slower speeds.

It's going in to Toyota dealer Thurs. for resolution :roll: My guess this is just the beginning...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
Good luck. I just drove mine through a tunnel at 70mph with my hands off the wheel and it went dead straight, so I think you should be able to make the case that it isn't normal handling!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Good luck. I just drove mine through a tunnel at 70mph with my hands off the wheel and it went dead straight, so I think you should be able to make the case that it isn't normal handling!
DuGong, you don't have me convinced that driving 70 mph through a tunnel with your hands off the steering wheel is "normal handling" either! :shock: :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[/quote]DuGong, you don't have me convinced that driving 70 mph through a tunnel with your hands off the steering wheel is "normal handling" either! :shock: :shock:[/quote]


Thanks, Sanny! I guess considering where she lives, we won't have to worry too much about going thru tunnels and meeting her :lol: - unless she decides to take a cross contry trip :shock: :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
P6NaDon said:
DuGong, you don't have me convinced that driving 70 mph through a tunnel with your hands off the steering wheel is "normal handling" either! :shock: :shock:
Thanks, Sanny! I guess considering where she lives, we won't have to worry too much about going thru tunnels and meeting her :lol: - unless she decides to take a cross contry trip :shock: :!:
I hope if she DOES come cross country, she calls first so we can hide under the bed and off the highways! :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
Sanny said:
P6NaDon said:
DuGong, you don't have me convinced that driving 70 mph through a tunnel with your hands off the steering wheel is "normal handling" either! :shock: :shock:
Thanks, Sanny! I guess considering where she lives, we won't have to worry too much about going thru tunnels and meeting her :lol: - unless she decides to take a cross contry trip :shock: :!:
I hope if she DOES come cross country, she calls first so we can hide under the bed and off the highways! :!:
I didn't hit anything, honest!
:oops:

It was just a test, it was only a test. Do not turn to the emergency broadcast channel.

I, er, migrate to Florida occasionally. No one is safe!
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top