Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a post on another forum, I have a question for those of you with smart keys.

Have you ever walked away from your car and left it turned on by mistake? According to the report that I heard... someone hit the "park" button, but not the "power" button... walked away with the smart key... and when he returned, the battery was dead.

I do know that it beeps if you try this, but I was wondering if anyone here actually has... or if the report I read was blown out of proportion. Does it eventually shut down on its own?

/Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
On a recent backpacking trip my niece camped at the trailhead & hiked in the next morning. There was a Prius in the lot that kept starting and switching off again all night. I assume that the owner managed to walk away without turning the car off. I have been wondering since I heard this whether the car would switch off at some point after it ran out of gas, or if it would kill the battery. The time involved would obviously depend on how full the tank. The engine would run only enough to maintain the AC setting and...?

Of course if someone knowledgable heard it switch on they might turn it off, or drive it away; you can't lock it when it is turned on.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
The report is probably bogus. If left in Ready mode while in Park (which it would be if the driver just hit Park instead of Power), the car would start the ICE as required to charge the HV battery.

In Neutral it doesn't charge, but in Park it does.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Less than a week after I first got my Prius, I left it in park and running while I went grocery shopping. It was still very new to me, when I got out I couldn't get it to lock. I remember the car did beep at first but I was in a hurry so I just left it unlocked. When I came back about 45 minutes after shopping I could hear the gas engine running and then I realized I had left the power on. I guess if someone were gone long enough the car would run out of gas and then the battery would run down.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Car would run out of gas eventually, then eventually the SOC of the HV battery would dwindle. When the HV reached 0 bars, car would power off. Gas up, power up car, and ICE will then charge the battery. When the car powers down when SOC reaches 0 bars, there's still plenty of power in the HV battery to start the ICE once fuel was replaced.

Granted, I have not tested this by leaving the car alone until it ran out of gas. But there have been enough reports about what happens when the car runs out of gas; you still have electric power. Also at least one post confirmed the car powers off when SOC reaches 0 on the display. but powered up fine after refueling.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In my experience you can leave it running and it will beep to warn you, but you can't lock it by pushingthe lock button. That in itself should remind you the unit is still on. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts