Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed my order for a blue 2004 Prius equipped with Package #3 around the 20th of March and was told I'd be waiting about two or three months. I also put down a 10 percent depost.

It is now nearly August. The other day, the dealer said that the Toyota factory was currently making only cars in that color with package #9 (70 percent), package #7 (20 percent), and package #1 (10 percent). If I would be willing to change my order, he said, I might be able to speed it up. I said no. I would wait. This seems like an attempt to take advantage of the high demand and gouge the customer.

Is anyone aware of this situation? Is it true that cars with package #3 are nearly impossible to find? Anyone have a package #3? What color is it?

Nathan

·
Registered
188 Posts
High demand - gouge? You live in the U.S., it is called capitalism.

Do you think that if they had the car you needed, that they wouldn't sell it to you? They are in business for a reason, and most likely not because they screwed a bunch of customers out of their hard earned money.

Most of the time the dealers are at the mercy of the manufacturer as to what they recieve and when.

It is your money, they can't take it from you. Don't let a possession compromise your values or dictate your spending.

When you put the money down, you had to have signed a contract, that had a delivery date on it, if you reach that date, they must refund you your money.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
johndayriver said:
I placed my order for a blue 2004 Prius equipped with Package #3 around the 20th of March and was told I'd be waiting about two or three months. I also put down a 10 percent depost.

It is now nearly August. The other day, the dealer said that the Toyota factory was currently making only cars in that color with package #9 (70 percent), package #7 (20 percent), and package #1 (10 percent). If I would be willing to change my order, he said, I might be able to speed it up. I said no. I would wait. This seems like an attempt to take advantage of the high demand and gouge the customer.

Is anyone aware of this situation? Is it true that cars with package #3 are nearly impossible to find? Anyone have a package #3? What color is it?

Nathan
not making any? Toyota is making them, just that your region isn't ordering any of that option package, so your dealer isn't getting any in stock. Try a different region, they may be ordering them.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
To expand on the whole 'region' thing. What mrv means is that the regional Toyota group is responsible for ordering the cars, and deciding which dealerships get them. Yes, dealerships request specific models and colors, but it's the regional group that actually decides. I know someone who got a white package 1 in less than a month, simply because lots of those were going to the Portland area. (I'm guessing because the City of Portland bought a lot of older white Priuses, the figured the city would buy more.)

When I started my search, I was told by multiple Portland area dealers that they hadn't gotten a package 3 in *ANY* color in months. Toyota just wasn't allocating them. (Note that it also sounds like some packages aren't even being manufactured any more. That may be the case with #3.)

P.S. I just got my package 7 Tideland Pearl (blue) from Thomason Toyota in Gladstone. Only took two days. (They are first-come, first-serve. You can have a salesman call you when your model comes in, and if you get there before the next guy, it's yours.)

·
Registered
248 Posts
"The other day, the dealer said that the Toyota factory was currently making only cars in that color with package #9 (70 percent), package #7 (20 percent), and package #1 (10 percent)" I was given similar information when I ordered in May in Olympia. I was shown a computer print out of the regional distribution list for the quarter and that is what it was showing it also listed colors (silver and white were by far the most common).
Since my son goes to college in Helena MT, so on a whim I gave Helena Motors a call 5 and half weeks ago. I was told 6-8 weeks wait. Got the Call Monday and a Silver #9 (my first choice) is was waiting for me in Helena to fly in and get it. I was offered a #7 2 weeks ago but wanted a #9 (max geek factor). MRSP all the way no jerking around. If you want to drive a bit you might try calling Kourtney Koch (pronounced Cook) and he might be able to help. (406) 459-5002. Nice folks. My son gets his car serviced there and has been treated well. BTW they will ship to you for a price. I fly in August 13 do some fishing, with my son and visit and drive home in a new car, a threefer!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
ehurtley said:
P.S. I just got my package 7 Tideland Pearl (blue) from Thomason Toyota in Gladstone. Only took two days. (They are first-come, first-serve. You can have a salesman call you when your model comes in, and if you get there before the next guy, it's yours.)
What did you have to pay for it though???

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
VWGlen3 said:
ehurtley said:
What did you have to pay for it though???
I got ripped off. I paid about $5k over MSRP. Oh well. We NEEDED a new car, and we needed it soon. I couldn't wait 9-12 months, and I don't have time to search out of state. So I was willing to pay the extra $5k. (Grudgingly, but willing.) I was honestly expecting to buy something other than a Prius, because we couldn't wait that long. So I was more than a little happy when the dealer called and said he had two in stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts