Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one here comment on experiences with the Vehicle Stability Control? I live in the Northeast where road conditions in the winter are challenging. I commute 88 miles a day so traction and steering are critical on those early morning and eventing commutes. Thanks! I love this site!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I conclude you to mean that your traction and steering work great and you feel in control....especially in Boston. Go Red Sox!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It isn't VSC that sometimes gives trouble, but Traction Control (TC).

ABS-> Braking
VSC->Turning
TC-> accelerating and cruising.

If you use good tires, TC is less of a problem. The stock tires tend to slip more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On other cars I have used Michelin Artic Alpins winter tires with great results. I wonder if I'll need that kind of tire on the Prius. As to VSC...from reading about it elsewhere it seems like it could be a benefit when turning on a slippery surface. Without experiencing how it works, it's hard to determine its value.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
To go deeper into the subject, and after two winters with them I find the Prius just the same as any other front wheel drive car. I've had no traction problems at all with my OEM Integrity tires at factory specified pressures and expect to replace them with another set at about forty plus thousand miles.

(and definately,.....go sox .......)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I drove my Prius through the winter last year and the VSC never kicked in. A good set of snow tires is key. From what I hear, VSC can really save your butt in an emergency situation. Some studies in Europe (where the technology is more common) have shown that it is the most significant safety feature since the seat belt. Way more than air bags, and it actually *prevents* accidents.

GO SOX!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My other car is an Audi Quattro wagon. It is the best car in the snow that I have ever driven. I have been spoiled with the Audi. That's why I have been a bit concerned about the Prius's performance in bad weather. My new Prius is due Oct. 1 and I am looking forward to spending less on gas. The 88 miles a day commuting can get expensive in a hurry.

Yeah Sox AND Patriots!

·
Registered
12 Posts
mroy said:
My other car is an Audi Quattro wagon. It is the best car in the snow that I have ever driven. I have been spoiled with the Audi. That's why I have been a bit concerned about the Prius's performance in bad weather. My new Prius is due Oct. 1 and I am looking forward to spending less on gas. The 88 miles a day commuting can get expensive in a hurry.

Yeah Sox AND Patriots!
Woo! Someone else with an Audi. I've got an A4 and am really anxious to see how my Prius will drive when I get it (Minnesota). I havne't driven a FWD car in winter for a long time. The plows in my area are rather slow too... well at least I'll still have the Audi on the really snowy days if I'm worried.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Whatever tires you've got on there, the big secret is
to feather, not punch it, when taking off.
Give the TC a chance to do its job right; if you demand
too much at once it has a tendency to overreact and you
get nowhere for a while.
I intend to try this coming winter on the OEMs and then make
a decision about snow tires...
_H*

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hobbit said:
Whatever tires you've got on there, the big secret is
to feather, not punch it, when taking off.
Give the TC a chance to do its job right; if you demand
too much at once it has a tendency to overreact and you
get nowhere for a while.
I intend to try this coming winter on the OEMs and then make
a decision about snow tires...
_H*
My thinking exactly. I believe those that say the car won't move are pouring gasoline onto the fire. Ease off the accelerator, don't add to it or let go completely on it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I believe those that say the car won't move are pouring gasoline onto the fire. Ease off the accelerator, don't add to it or let go completely on it.
After nearly being stuck twice last winter due to the TC (both cases newly fallen 6-8" in an unplowed parking lot), I was ready to pour the gasoline onto my Prius and light it. Blizzaks for sure this year.

rpm

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well the only time I had VSC engaged last winter was when I intentionally try to spin the car out. I was trying to get a feel of the system and how to approach it so I was just in an empty car park doing various manoeuvres. In most cases, it won't since it's assumed you'll be driving cautiously enough that under normal conditions, it won't activate. The traction control (TRAC) however, is a different story.

G

·
I also have owned an Audi A4 and most recently an 02 Audi allroad. The Prius with VSC is great IF you have good tires. I trashed the crappy stock tires after 400 miles. I actually gave them away to a board member. If you intend to commute, I highly suggest the Nokian WR tires. I keep them on all year round and they are simply fantastic. They are great in snow and excellent in the rain. The stock tires are simply horrible

G

·
You can see all the nokian tires at

http://www.nokiantires.com

Not too many dealers in the US carry them, but you can definitely find them. If you live in the NE you won't have any problem picking up a set. If you google Nokian WR, you're bound to find hits. Let me know how you make out!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I will be getting 4 snow tires on my VSC equipped Prius this fall here in Vermont. A couple of questions:

Has anyone found it easy to get steel wheels that fit the Prius for the winter tires as I'd much rather go that route after seeing what yearly changeovers have done to the alloy wheels of my '97 Subaru Outback.

And, has anyone run studded snows on their northern Prii? The debate around here is that while traction is better, studs last only a winter (haven't had studs in 30 years).

BTW, I have no complains about the Goodyear Integritys at 5,000.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Mark,
I'm looking to get 4 snows but I want to mount them on regular wheels and store the Goodyears and alloys for the winter. I'm hoping these plain steel wheels are available.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts