Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been impressed with the button-combination instructions I've seen to cancel the annoying (?) reverse alert. Is there something similar to reduce the volume (or mute) the beeps that occur when you touch something on the multi-function display?

Thanks in advance.

Jay
Northern Virginia
'04, Seaside Pearl, AM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reverse Button Combination

Please expound on the reverse alarm issue
I am waiting for my '04 Prius and would like
to know how to disable / turn down the reverse
warning Volume.

Thanks!

Get Mine Mid December - :?: Maybe???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank Dr. Fusco for the instructions; I still don't know why Toyota put the beeper in the Prius...

1. Power on (not neccesarily ready, IG-ON will do).
2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO
3. Power off.
4. Power on to ready (brake on).
5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for 10 seconds or more.
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* 10 seconds, Shift from P to R, then
back to P. Now release ODO.
7. You'll see in the trip pisplay "b on" or "b off".
8. Press ODO to toggle.
9. Now power off.

The Repair manual page says, however, that if you disconnect the 12v
battery, you may lose this change. Repair manual also isn't clear that
you should be holding down ODO while shifting (or operating seatbelt
if you wish to cancel seatbelt buzzers, driver or passenger, using
similar steps replacing shifting w/ fastening seatbelts).

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: Reverse Button Combination

Waiting-for-mine said:
Please expound on the reverse alarm issue
I am waiting for my '04 Prius and would like
to know how to disable / turn down the reverse
warning Volume.

Thanks!

Get Mine Mid December - :?: Maybe???
If you search on this site you'll
see the instructions have been posted
a few times already.

The reverse beep is only heard
*inside* the car, to let the driver
know that they're in reverse as
opposed to a forward gear. Even
with the windows open, it's barely
audible outside of the car.

However, the lock/unlock of the car
does emit a short chirp/beep externally
of the car...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think that with the car as quiet as it is when on battery, the beep is on the wrong side....it needs to be on the outside to let people that there is a car backing up that they might not otherwise be able to hear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Beep solution/questions

Can someone tell us...
1. Where is the inside speaker for the back-up beeper?

2. Where is the external beeper for the alarm system?

A little rewiring could do the trick or add an external speaker.

Regards,
Gary

Simply reverse the polarity of the neutron flux in the starboard power coupling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reducing volume of screen-change beep

Is there something similar to reduce the volume (or mute) the beeps that occur when you touch something on the multi-function display?
Has anyone ever replied to this one? All the beeping as I switch screens is annoying my wife :oops:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like to know, as does the original poster in this thread (blubrid), is there any way to turn off the confirmation beeps for EVERY PRESS of ANY MFD button? (Or to turn the volume down)

I have ALREADY TURNED OFF THE REVERSE and the SEAT BELT beeps. That is not what we are asking.

Thanks in advance if you can answer this question

·
Registered
31 Posts
A strategicaly placed piece of bluetack (you know the stuff you use to stick up photos on the wall) might reduce the volume of the beep. Just have to find the "hole" where it emits and plug it, or does it use the stereo system?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just wanted to add one point: you need to keep the break on during the entire operation (pressing and holding the ODO button AND switching between P, R and then P again).

I'm so glad I stumbled onto this site. I've found a bunch a good usefull information!

·
Registered
81 Posts
MRV: Are you sure your 04 Prius emits a beep when yuou lock and unlock the doors? Mine sure doesn't. Anybody else want to weigh in here?

·
Registered
299 Posts
oldfox said:
MRV: Are you sure your 04 Prius emits a beep when yuou lock and unlock the doors? Mine sure doesn't. Anybody else want to weigh in here?
Mine does if I press the black button on the door. This may be a smart key feature???

·
Registered
381 Posts
Smart key, smart entry, smart start, smart... something. 8) In any case, mine beeps as I reach for it and it unlocks (smart entry), and also beeps when I use the button on the door/hatch to lock it. Also beeps when I use either button on the remote.

Let me guess... to turn it off, I have to stand on my right leg, close my left eye, count to 17 in Minbari,...

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
oldfox said:
yes. see page 28-30 of the 2004 Owner's Manual.

from what I can tell of the manual, the lights will always flash with the lock/unlock. If you have SE&SS, then it will also beep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reverse Beeps

nmpriusman said:
Thank Dr. Fusco for the instructions; I still don't know why Toyota put the beeper in the Prius...

1. Power on (not neccesarily ready, IG-ON will do).
2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO
3. Power off.
4. Power on to ready (brake on).
5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for 10 seconds or more.
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* 10 seconds, Shift from P to R, then
back to P. Now release ODO.
7. You'll see in the trip pisplay "b on" or "b off".
8. Press ODO to toggle.
9. Now power off.

The Repair manual page says, however, that if you disconnect the 12v
battery, you may lose this change. Repair manual also isn't clear that
you should be holding down ODO while shifting (or operating seatbelt
if you wish to cancel seatbelt buzzers, driver or passenger, using
similar steps replacing shifting w/ fastening seatbelts).
Thankyou for this process. It worked great!

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is a very confused thread. Half of the people are talking about one thing, the other half are talking about another.

The original question was: How can you turn down (or off) the noise (or beep) that occurs when you touch the MFD screen. For example, if you touch the Climate button and then touch the MFD screen to change which air vents are in use, you will hear a quick and rather loud beep. The same beep is heard when changing radio stations via the MFD screen and when performing any other function via this screen. Is there a way to turn down the volume on this noise or to eliminate it?

(This question has nothing to do with seat belt or reverse beeps).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
beeps

The beeps annoy the heck out of me too, but please dont turn them off.

Has anyone ever been behind someone who stopped for a red light, then backed up a bit to clear the crosswalk, then, forgetting she was in reverse, when the light turns green backed up into your car ?? Yeh, stupid, I know...but happens to the best of us.

KEEP the BEEP.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
beeps

I agree the MFD beeps are a different story than Reverse or Seat Belt. If I was designing it, I would make it so warnings like Rev or Seat B were not able to turn off, but have a volume control for other sounds, just like the dash light bright/soft.

Many years ago, when we were designing first touch screen computers, the psychologists told us people needed a confirmation that the action they took (touching the screen to do something) in fact happened.

We all all grew up (I'm an old person) with switches, buttons, etc that clicked or moved which gave that confirmation. The beep is modern day version of that confirmation.

I dont know of any way to turn off or down in the car. Even the earliest computer touch screens could adjust the volume of spkrs for all sounds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts