Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to chance to look over a 04 Prius at my local dealer. When I sat in the car, I adjusted the driver seat rearward beacause of my height (6' 2"). As I sit in the Prius I find my field of view obstructed by the visor and roof. Does anyone else find this to be an issue?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am 6'1.5 and can see just fine. I was worried about the rear view, but that's been fine too. I love the self-dimming rear view mirror and the way the cabin light brightens up when I hit power to shut down or when I approach the car at night.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm also six foot, and I have two minor visibility issues:

1. Looking forward, I need to lean forward very slightly to see some traffic signals. This isn't a big deal, as I needed to do this in my last two cars, too. (In the Miata, I found it easier when the top was down to look OVER the rail, rather than under it.)

2. Rear-view. The roof-line is a little too 'low', so I can't see very far out the back of the car in the rear-view mirror. This is a fairly big deal to me. I have come to rely in the side-view mirrors more, but even then, you don't see everything. What this amounts to is that I only see 4-5 car lengths behind me, which, to me, is a little dangerous.

(But I do like the placement of the center beam in the back, such that when a car is following at a reasonable distance, their headlights are blocked by the bar, yet I can still see their 'glare' above and below. And the lower window is tinted, so if someone is tailgating, at least their lights are a little dimmer than they otherwise would be.

The only other minor 'view' gripe is 'over-the-shoulder', those rear beams give the Prius a slightly larger blind spot than I'm used to. (Then again, a Miata with the top down has no blind spot, and one with the top up has a HUGE blind spot... Although I haven't owned the Miata in years.)

·
Registered
363 Posts
ceisenmann said:
I recently had to chance to look over a 04 Prius at my local dealer. When I sat in the car, I adjusted the driver seat rearward beacause of my height (6' 2"). As I sit in the Prius I find my field of view obstructed by the visor and roof. Does anyone else find this to be an issue?
I am 6'2" and I don't see it as any better or worse than any other car I have driven, and I drive a lot of rentals.

The only time that I have a problem is with traffic lights. I may mount one of those little convex mirrors that are intended for side mirrors, on the dashboard so that I can see traffic lights. For some reason Atlanta does not put lights on the poles, only overhead. I have the same problem in my truck, our old daewoo, my daughters honda. Pretty much everything but my motorscooter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How far into the intersection are you guys stopping? Here in Richmond the lights are on new overhead poles, and I can see them fine. I am sure that the height is a federal standard, since trucks must avoid them.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Saruman said:
How far into the intersection are you guys stopping? Here in Richmond the lights are on new overhead poles, and I can see them fine. I am sure that the height is a federal standard, since trucks must avoid them.
Well, there are two variables: Distance (horizontal) from stopping point to where the traffic signal is. Height from the ground to the light.

The longer the horizontal distance, the better the visibility, since it DECREASES the upward angle from eye to signal. Same with the signal being lower. But if you're at a fairly short (horizontal distance) intersection, with lights high up, you have a much higher upward angle to see the signal. In Downtown Portland, the streets are fairly narrow (2-3 lanes, mostly,) with fairly high up signals. This makes them hard to see. Yes, at intersections of major highways, where you have 5-7 lanes of width, the angle is less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too am 6'2" and find that when coming to a light I have to stay back a bit in order to see the light without bending down.

I have the seat all the way back and would like to recline but if I do, the steering wheel is so far away that my back and arms get tired.

Why oh why didn't Toyota give us a telescoping wheel??? The tilt is so minimal as to be useless.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am over 6'5'' and have no problems. I do not have the seat all the
way back, and I am still comfortable. The tilt wheel does help (all the
way up). I have my seat reclined a little bit.

The back sides of the roof structure do hamper visibility, but I turn my
head by habit anyway to be safe.

Reclining the seat also helps with seeing traffic lights. :)

2004, white, with package 7. Took delivery 8 days ago after waiting
6 months. I took the white, but wanted salsa red...

·
Registered
111 Posts
limited visibility

The visibility in my Prius is extremely limited by the rear end of the SUV in front of me and the headlights of the truck/SUV behind me. :!:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Saruman said:
I stop just short of the stop line on the street. Stop any farther back in Atlanta and the sensor will not detect you.

I am somewhat tall so I have the seat all the way back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am six foot and I find that the rearview mirror, the front and rear roof columns block the view. I constantly have to look around the columns when I am at a stop sign or backing up. I think that the sloping roof line is the cause of it; they are much farther forward and rearward than on other cars.
As for the low roof line, I find it no worst or better than other compact cars that I owned.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: limited visibility

I am 6'4" and all legs. My right knee has opened the little hideaway box to the right of the shifter a few times already. (only 550 miles on it)

I am okay comfort wise. I do notice the arm rests are a bit boney.

I think the side mirrors are a bit small, not easy to see cars along side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts