Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this quote from the AOL article. My mom heard about this on the news as well...

"The virus attempts to jump from phone to phone by using the handset's wireless short-range Bluetooth connection. It scans the environment for other Bluetooth-enabled devices.

Once it has found one, it sends itself disguised as a security file. The file must be accepted by the mobile phone owner and then installed before it can propagate."

Since the Prius uses bluetooth, does that mean it could bounce into the Prius systems somehow?
The article DOES mention that "The worm is not regarded as dangerous because even if it spreads it carries no code that destroys files or executes other damaging operations, the security software firms said."

it also gives the origins of this virus as being "A group of underground virus writers has showed off what is believed to be the world's first worm that can spread on advanced mobile phones, but security software companies say the virus had no malicious code attached.

The worm, named Cabir, was sent to security software firms Kapersky Lab of Russia and U.S.-based Symantec by a member of 29a, a group of virus writers from the Czech Republic and Slovakia who pride themselves in creating ''proof of concept malicious viruses,'' Kapersky Labs spokesman Denis Zenkin said."

I'd like to know however, if anyone knows anough about what was mentioned here (I'll make a link to the entire article also...) to know if this can in any way effect the Prius or other bluetooth enabled VEHICLES.

The story is inside AOL when I sign on and therefor I can't link to it, but searching under the virus name "CABIR" should get the results you need...

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Prius is in no danger, it runs on a proprietary OS (not sure but probably) and wasn't the inteded target. The virus is a proof of concept and is totally harmless because it does not carry a malicious payload. Futher it was written to work for specifically on the Nokia Series 60 phone which runs SymbianOS. Maybe other phones that run SymbianOS could also be affected. But not the Prius. :wink:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/cabir.shtml

1 - 2 of 2 Posts