Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in October 03 at 21,402 mi. I noticed that I was having problems with vibrations in my power steering in my 2001 Prius on start up. I took it into my Toyota Dealership and explained the problem. They replied that they were unaware of the problem and could not duplicate it. A few months later I told them about the ongoing problem during an oil change and they said that they still could not find a problem. About 2 weeks ago at about 28,000 mi. I got into my car one morning and put the car in reverse. The steering wheel swung left uncontrollably and twisted my wrist. I called the Dealership and spoke to my service writer. He told me he was still unaware of a problem existing but I should bring in the vehicle when the problem happens again. I started video taping the steering wheel every morning on startup and reverse and finally was able to catch the steering wheel vibrating but not violently twisting left. A couple of days ago I received a warranty extension from Toyota regarding this problem. I called my service writer and told him what I received from Toyota and what a coincidence this was since I had called him about the problem earlier the week before and he said this was the first he had heard of the extension. He told me to bring in the car and his people would call Toyota and confer on this problem. I was wondering if anybody out there has experienced violent steering wheel motion.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I had this problem on my 2002, the solution was to replace the stearing rack under warranty. I had the replacement made about 15,000 miles ago and have not had a problem sence

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have your wheels checked as well and if the front wheels are abornmally worn, have them replace them (free of charge) as bein incidental to the faulty rack.

You just joined this forum seemingly because you have a disheartening problem (as many newcomers now seem to joining for - neebiew to the 2004 notwithstanding). Should you begin receiving double talk and an attack on your wallet, return to this site and search well back into the archives on "steering", "rack" and "tires" and you will find the supporting information you will need to more likely prevail and save you mucho dinero.

The service write up person for the Prius, as well as the salesman and mechanic, have/had to be specially trained to speak about and deal with the Prius. This is touted during the sales and service pitches and backed up with certificated adorning their office. Given the extensive and clear history related to the rack and tires problems, it would seem like the service dept. is feigning knowledge about the faulty rack. You may want to take your servicing needs to another dealer that is not killing you with simply kind sounding words.

Learn and make sure they FIXIT right.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's the rack... Had mine replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago. It used to squeak as I turned it, very embarassing! :roll:

It's perfect now!

S

·
Registered
8 Posts
steering rack

Had the same problem on my 2002 Prius at over 100,000. Toyota agreed to replace the part ($3400 part) if I paid for the labor. This replacement was beyond the warranty but Toyota is working with owners.
Cheers, Linda

·
Registered
8 Posts
steering rack

Had the same problem on my 2002 Prius at over 100,000. Toyota agreed to replace the part ($3400 part) if I paid for the labor. This replacement was beyond the warranty but Toyota is working with owners.
Cheers, Linda

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cool

100,000 miles!!! WOW, How's the Hybrid Battery Life and stuff like that after such a high mileage?

S

·
Registered
8 Posts
battery life

The batteries are fine, the engine and electric motor purr along. Of course I have to replace tires once in awhile. Having owned several (4) Toyotas with 200,000+ I don't expect any problems. Most of my miles are on freeways in California. I have a 300 mile one-way commute every week, probably averaging 700-800 miles a week. So far traveling at speeds of 65-75 mph I average 47 mpg. Not bad.
Cheers, Linda

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: steering rack

LPMcM said:
Cheers, Linda
If you're in the US, you're due for a reimbursement. Toyota extended the new vehicle warranty on the power steering rack for the shudder problem out to 5 years/unlimited miles from the in-service date.

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=1701

·
Registered
8 Posts
power steering rack

Thanks for the information. I will send my paperwork in and see if I am truly eligible for this reimbursement. I do appreciate your helpfulness. I continue to be impressed with Toyota and with all the folks on this website.
Cheers, Linda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts