Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experience a vibration at about 25 mph when I start to accelerate from that speed. The noise eminates from the right front either in the dash or under the hood. It is a resonant vibration that lasts for a short period as I accelerate. Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
This will sound silly, and I really don't mean for it to sound insulting...but there's no avoiding it. :oops:

It's not the ICE starting up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vibration

No insult taken. This is a distinct resonant vibration. The engine is already running. This is on a 2004.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have noticed that sound too. It alsmost sounds like a little spring rattle. Not very loud, if you have the radio on you can not hear it. I notice it when I am just starting to excellerate or just starting to slowdown from a speed under thirty miles per hour. I wonder if it has someting to do with the generator?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The "9th speaker" - the one on top of the LED display - its metallic screen vibrates sometimes on my Prius.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This noise only happends under very specific circumstances therefore I believe it is related to something machanical. This may be unrelated, but since I noticed the noise, I have seen a decrease in gas milage by about 4 mpg on each tankfull. The sound seems to originate from infront of the drivers side some where around the front tire. But it is not the tire itself, more like something under the hood but near to the wheel well. Anybody have a clue out there? It is probably just the flux capisitor or something like that :roll: . I would really like to avoid taking it to the dealership only to have some guy give it one of these looks :shock: and proceed to hit it with a hammer and scratch his head for a few hours...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could be strut mounts. Toyota replaced those on an '01 when diagnosing a problem that matches your problem description in loation and sound. Unfortunately that was not the problem. It was later ultimately related to the failing/faulty rack and pinion.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
FIXIT said:
Could be strut mounts. Toyota replaced those on an '01 when diagnosing a problem that matches your problem description in loation and sound. Unfortunately that was not the problem. It was later ultimately related to the failing/faulty rack and pinion.
Either of those would be a good enough reason for having it looked at. I don't mean to sound condescending here. But you must ask yourself this question: If there's something wrong, broken, or malfunctioning, is it likely to to get better all by itself?

Start with a call to the service department, and ask to speak with the service manager or the person qualified to work on Prius drive trains. Then tell them that you are experiencing this noise, and it's not normal. Then set up an appointment to have them look at it. Make sure you specify that you want their Prius-qualified tech (use whatever term is comfortable to you) to look at it, because this one may not be as simple as a loose wiper blade or door trim.

And good luck. Keep us posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
ToyotaMike said:
Thanks BIF,

I just wanted to make sure they aren't fixing something that isn't broken.
I totally understand your concern. That happened to me all the time with GM cars.....either that, or they broke something that didn't need fixing!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know the sound you are talking about. It's very faint, but you can hear it if you listen close. I think it is something mechanical. Some little motor or sensor. We are very sensitive I think, since nobody else seems to hear it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes Dion,

It is very faint and I didn't give it a second thought until someone posted it here. Are we being over sensitive?

BIF,
I had the same experience with a Pontiac. 6 weeks and thousands in warranty repairs, I got the van back saying "we cannot find the cause".
After that other problems started showing up all over the van. I guess I'm just a little gun shy going into any dealer service center without having as may facts in hand as possible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not looking to burs your bubble but I would strongly maintain that being "a little gun shy" at open ended dealer repair of the unknown/undiagnosed is a major understatement. If the problem is simple, they will kill you with kindness thereby attempting to show professionalism and technical acuity. Should the problem require some clock time, watch the polite brush/put off and crazy glue approach. It is amazing to see them searching for something that will placate you.

Let them know you are acute in your understanding of their diagnosis and prognosysand document any and everything (and, diplomatically, let them be aware that you are doing so).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
vibration

I had to take my 2004 in for the reprogamming recall and asked the technician to listen for this vibration. Unfortunately I was not there when he test drove it. He could not hear it. Said it was the engine. duh!!!! But I am not surprised because they haven't been exposed to this type of auto. The service advisor didn't even know how to start it to park it. I am very aware of what noises are normal and know that this vibration should not be there. It seems to have diminished somewhat in the 15K miles I have driven, but is still there. I suspect most owners would not notice this. Since it still under warranty, I am going to continue to monitor the noise and make sure it is fixed before the end of the warranty. By then maybe the technicians will have had more exposue and be more atuned to the noise. Or maybe Toyota will find out about it and develop a service bulletin. In fact, I am going to e-mail them about this problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts