Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is from someone totally unfamiliar with MP3 players.

I have a Prius with an MP3 plug-in. As I understand it, if I get the "right" type of MP3, it will plug in and play on the Prius sound system - and the MP3 output can be controlled by the standard Prius audio controls. (So that I can forward from file to file using the CD-advance button, etc.)

But if I get the "wrong" type of MP3 - such as an IPod - then I can still plug it into the Prius jack and play through the Prius sound system - but the Prius controls will not work for controlling the IPod. I would have to use the IPod controls to select the file, etc.

Is this correct? If so, which types of MP3 players would work with a Prius? Which types would let me use the Prius audio controls to control the MP3? Would this work with all MP3's except IPods?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Assuming that you have a 2006-current Prius with the mid-grade or upgraded JBL audio system:

1. You can attach any audio device (MP3 player, iPod, portable cassette player, Walkman, etc.) that has a line-out or headphone-out jack to the aux-input jack in the center console. I think it's a 1/8" male stereo to 1/8" male stereo patch cord. You then can listen to the audio from such a device on your Prius, but all controls are through the device (and not the car) with the exception of the Prius' volume control.

Do not turn the audio on the device up too high, or you'll get some distortion when listening through the Prius. If you are going to use the 12v power port ("cigarette lighter outlet") in the center console to power your audio device that is on the aux-in port, you'll probably want to get a ground isolator loop to keep out distortion caused by the power source.

2. You can burn your own CDs with MP3 or WMA files, and play them on the Prius' CD player or changer. You can navigate through the CD's directories using dash, steering wheel, or on-screen buttons. (Or, you can just burn an audio-CD. Be sure to remember to use the CD-Text option!)

Otherwise, if you have the base audio, or a 2005 or older Prius, or if you want to control your iPod through the Prius' controls, you are going to have to get a 3rd party device...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my new Prius two days ago - happy me! I am using my pocket pc/mobile phone for my music becuase I do not have an ipod. Of course I still have to control music choice through the phone interface, but I do have voice command on the phone which may be helpful. Has anyone here done this before? Will I hear the phone ring through the car speakers?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Also, unless they changed things in MY 2007, audio generated from the phone comes out only through one speaker, the lower one on the driver side door. It is also mono, though I understand most MP3 capable phones are still mono or low quality audio, according to CR. It certainly is mono going through BT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.