Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, maybe this'll be fun. Maybe it'll just be foolish. But so what, it's worth trying for a bit.

I'll start with a couple of imaginary license plates...y'all join in with your own suggestions. Maybe somebody'll like an idea so much, they'll be willing to pay for it at their local BMV. But let's establish a few rules first:

1) No cuss words or indecent stuff. Remember, it's gotta be something that passes the 5-year-old test. It's not helpful here if it's likely to be rejected by somebody's state bureau of motor vehicles.

2) Limit to 7 characters. Some states only allow 6 or 7 characters, some may allow 8. Shorter plates can be lengthened, but longer names may be difficult to abbreviate.

In addition, some states have made available some alternate styles of plate designs. For example, in Florida, we must have dozens of plates that you can choose from. Some of our plate designs have a graphic to one side, thereby limiting the maximum number of characters to 4 or 5 (maybe with no spaces). So remember, short plates are great, too!

Here are a couple of plate examples from Florida:

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialtyta ... agoon.html
http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialtytags/FITplate.html
http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialtyta ... enger.html

..and I like this one, but a 3-space-3 saying may be difficult to come up with...
http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialtyta ... lture.html

3) Letter "O"s. Some states (like Florida) uses zero's instead. My old Corvette license plate, ROAD FUN was actually "R0AD FUN".

So if your idea uses a letter "O", please keep in mind that somebody may need to substitute a zero. This may or may not affect the intent or meaning of the plate....ie "I GO" might be interpreted as "I G0", which may (or may not) lose its intended meaning.

4) Only one "space". The states I have lived in don't allow more than one.

5) If entering a space, and you think it may not be apparent to other readers here that it's supposed to be a space, then substitute an underscore or a carot like this: "R0AD^FUN" or "R0AD_FUN" We'll figure it out.

6) Your idea can be anything, but this is a Prius board. So it's probably best if we focus on hybrid-related or Prius-related plate ideas.

7) Plagarism is strongly encouraged! If you've seen a great plate in your state, please submit it...maybe somebody in a different state will decide to get it for their Prius!

8) If you don't want to publish your own license plate here ('cause it's on the internet for everybody to read), that's understandable. Please don't feel left out. Submit some alternate ideas instead!

Enough with the instructions. I will kick it off with a couple of my own ideas in my next post....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Ideas:

SPARKY (I know; not very original)
SPARKS
GEN ME
CHRG ME
STEALTH (Would be great on a black Prius!)
NO PLUG
VOLTS
VOLTAGE
NO GUZZ

...okay, I'll leave some fish in the ocean for the rest of you...

·
Registered
928 Posts
A couple years ago, the Yahoo! honda_insight group licence plate database was pretty popular. It doesn't look like much has been added recently, but you can get a big list of ideas from it quickly. I think you have to register with Yahoo!, but here's the link:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hon ... t/database

Click on "Licence Plates" in the table list.

Robert Snyder
NJ-PIKACHU A small Japanese electric critter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm glad you came up with this because I have been trying to find something to use to let everyone know my car is special. Here are some of my ideas:

EZ2BGRN
UNPLGD
CHRGUP OR CHRGDUP
PODPWR
BNYPWR
BGASFRE
AMPNRG
AMPPWR

Keep em coming...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saylav, I like your idea "UNPLGD"... and I'm thinking that "UNPLUGD" would be great, too.

...yeah, keep 'em coming, folks!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*self serving "bump"*

How could I have forgotten...

HYBRID
HYBRD

HYB PWR
GASELEC

LGTGBOLT
PWR BOLT

·
Registered
3 Posts
California allows 7 characters. Since I'm working for plug-in hybrids, mine is PLUG OK (see at http://www.priusplus.org)

I considered (still available, maybe)
PLZPLUG
PLUGPLZ
NXTPLUG
PLUGINS

Taken in CA but maybe available elsewhere
PLUG IT
NOWPLUG
LESSGAS
SAVENRG
SAVEGAS
CLEANAIR
BESTCAR
CLEANER

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
vanity plates

Car and Driver Magazine, in their January issue, had high praise for the Prius. I took a copy of it with me on a skiing trip over the holiday, and it confirmed my decision to buy one.
They loved the "wegdy body, triggerfish" shape. When I read that, I knew I had a name for my car, and also, vanity plates. My Seaside Pearl #7 is now known as "HUMU".
Only Hawaiians, it seems, get the name. It's short for :
humuhumunukunukuapu'aa, which is the Hawaiian triggerfish and also the state fish.
I'm happily out as a gay man at the small engineering office where I'm the company draftsman. One of my co-workers asked me it I got "HUMU" because "HOMO" was taken.....
The Prius is both cute like the orignial VW bug, and star treky, like the cars of the future we saw at motor shows. In any case, a car this unique needs a name.
My vanity planes arrived a few weeks ago, and the name looks just right.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Bob. Here are a couple more I thought of:

MR CLEAN
MS CLEAN
MRS CLN
CLN AIR
LESSEMIS
FRSH AIR
LOW NOX

...and a few salutes to Star Trek:

GALILEO7 (if you're allowed 8 characters)
GAL 7
RUNBOUT

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a status report. I have narrowed down my license plate design selections to two that I think will look good on my Silver #9.

I will either choose the whales:
http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialtyta ... hales.html

...or the Dolphins:
http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialtyta ... phins.html

The whale plate will look nicer on my silver Prius. But the dolphin plate is very cheerful and bright. I really could go with either one at this point.

Either way, I now know for sure that I will be restricted to a 5-character message. Furthermore, in my particular case (because of the space limitations imposed by the left-hand graphics of these two Florida plates), a "space" or "hyphen" will count as one of my 5 characters. Therefore, my message will have to be short, sweet, and to the point.

But please keep all ideas coming, even if they're 6, 7, or 8 characters. Ya never know, your 7-character idea may "spark" (heh, a little hybrid humor there :) ) an idea in my brain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vanity Plates or More Like Irony Plates

I have enjoyed a 2003 silver classic since Jan 2003. My wife had a S10 Blazer with SUV4ME plates on it, which has died. I thouht it was appropriate to transfer those plates to reside on my sipper. I get the mix of responses...
A young man told me yesterday, "I don't get it!" and my reply was taken right from my LCD screen - 49.6 mpg! The reply - WOW!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I mentioned earlier, I'm focusing on a few 5-character ideas for myself, and have put some of my favorites below. Some of these have appeared earlier in this thread, but I've repeated them here....I'm just "thinking out loud," so don't mind me! 8)

NOPEC
PRIUS

NOGUZ
NOPLG
UNPLG

VOLTS
VOLTZ
BOLTS
BOLTZ

SPRKY
SPARK
ZAPME
I ZAP
JUICE

SMART
CLEAN
MRCLN
QUIET
HYBRD
HYBPW
HBPWR
H PWR
E PWR

·
Registered
53 Posts
Illinois has vanity plates (which do not end in numerals) and personalized plates (which do, and cost less than vanity plates). I have heard of

MY_MPG_50
and
PWR_OF 2
and
ELECT 1
and
SILENT 1

as ideas. Some of these are in use already, in Illinois.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vanity Plate

Somebody else here had this idea...I wish I could say it was my own, but I don't see it on the list.

HAHA SUV

Some guy getting 9 mpg will probably run a key down the side of your car in the parking lot.

air4ce (My actual plate)
Edmonton, Canada
'04 Salsa Red[/b]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts