Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is a bit of a lame question, but I just can't seem to get an answer on whether the 2001 Prius has a Timing Chain or Timing Belt!

I wanted to ask before taking the engine apart to find out! :shock:

Thanks

S

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Please forgive me if my next words are a bit strong, but I feel strongly about what I'm about to say.

May I respectfully suggest that you have no business taking apart any major Prius component such as the engine, power split device and/or other parts of the drive train, computer(s), MFD, or battery components unless you have the shop manual(s), and you refer to them often? Having the shop manuals would allow you to answer your question quickly, easily, and accurately.

If you want to work on your own car, that's admirable! But please help yourself as much as possible by investing in the best documentation available, no matter how much it costs!

Personally, I'd never ever attempt serious surgery on any of my vehicles unless I had said manual in my possession and opened up on the workbench.

EDIT: Oh, I just realized that your question may have been just one of curiosity, and that you may have been joking about taking the engine apart. If so, my apologies! Umm..and I don't know the answer to your question, either. I'll just go be embarrassed and sit in the corner and shut up now... :oops:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As it happens, it was one of curiosity and the bit about taking the engine apart was sarcastic (British sense of humour!).

I received a letter from Toyota about getting the timing belt changed and I wanted to check if they sent it out without looking at what car we had because I believed it had a timing chain!

Just after the info so I know to get the belt changed next service or just disregard the letter as it is not appropriate for a Prius!

It's a 2001 by the way!

No need to be embarassed.... I'll forgive you!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
<chuckle> that's like getting a coupon for an alternator check (which I have recieved), along with notices that I'm due for my next 3000 mile checkup! Don't pay attention to the service coupons and advertisements you get from dealerships - check your scheduled maintenance guide.

I know that the UK schedule is different than in the US. I'll note that the word "timing" never appears in the US 2001 Prius Passport to Performance scheduled maintenance guide!

For the US scheduled maintenance guides:
http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/sm ... icle=Prius

Prius has a timing chain. See the Toyota FAQ on it:
http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyo ... A%2A&p_li=

·
Registered
381 Posts
mrv said:
Don't pay attention to the service coupons and advertisements you get from dealerships - check your scheduled maintenance guide.
I'll second that... when I first got my 2003 last year, I received a notice a few *weeks* later that it was due for it's first service. I called the dealer and they corrected their records; later received a more timely notice prior to the expected date.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts