Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife commutes in our Prius, but I recently had the opportunity to drive in stop & go traffic. I found that using B instead of D made driving more pleasant because I did not have to move my foot from accelerator to brake as often.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I was fooling around with the Prius simulator, which models after the classic, though the new version is close enough to get the idea.

Anyway, I notice that if you put the shifter in B, the current MPG would jump up by about 4 MPG even though I wasn't slowing down or braking. Seems like a bug in the simulator, unless the classic actually does do this.

Anyway, yes, B might make it more comfortable to drive, since you don't need to move your foot to your brakes as much, but B can be less efficient if you don't plan carefully. Try to dead-band as much as possible and regen as little as possible, with the operative words being 'as possible <under the circumstances>'.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Using "B" in Mountain Driving

After several long downhill runs (over 30 minutes) in Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks last week, it seems like using "B" didn't charge the batteries as much as using regenerative braking. As I may have mentioned in another post. I rode the brakes during one of the first long downhill runs, but it charged the batteries to the max, and the ICE ran for a period of time, when it didn't show on the MFD. After that, I used "B" with much better results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.