Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
On the classic Prius, the 12v accessory
outlet is powered off when the car is off.

On the 2004 Prius, the 12v accessory
outlet by the passenger's seat is
powered off when the car is off. I
haven't tested the 2nd 12v accessory
outlet in the center console to see
if it also powers off with the car.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
efusco said:
Lemme extend Michelle's comment a bit....
Indeed, both 12V outlets power off when the car is powered off. If you desired to power an accessory via the Prius you could always put the car into the IG ON mode (two pushes of the power button without depressing the brake). I THINK this would allow you to use the 12V outlets and the HV would continually recharge the 12V battery giving you a pretty long duration of power.

Alternatively, you could power the prius all the way up to READY mode and just let the ICE run as needed. I think that would be a pretty minimal amount over the course of an evening if the only power drain was a TV or something like that.
--evan
The hybrid traction battery is only
connected when the car is in the
READY state.

It is the hybrid traction battery
that charges the 12v accessory battery.

Based on other posts, I think the
center console outlet is powered
on at all times, though.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
efusco said:
Lemme extend Michelle's comment a bit....
Indeed, both 12V outlets power off when the car is powered off. If you desired to power an accessory via the Prius you could always put the car into the IG ON mode (two pushes of the power button without depressing the brake). I THINK this would allow you to use the 12V outlets and the HV would continually recharge the 12V battery giving you a pretty long duration of power.

Alternatively, you could power the prius all the way up to READY mode and just let the ICE run as needed. I think that would be a pretty minimal amount over the course of an evening if the only power drain was a TV or something like that.
--evan
forgot to mention that the ICE will
come on not only to power the
hybrid battery when it gets discharged
(from powering the 12v accessory
battery, which is providing power to
your TV, the car's clock, the car's
alarm (if so equipped), and the car's
computers) but the ICE will come on
to keep itself warmed up. In the
summer this may not occur very often
(15+ minutes), but if it's a cool
evening or even worse winter the
ICE may rarely ever go off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.